VOGONS

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.the-underdogs.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

Hahaha. I've been reading the forums for the past couple of MONTHS for a good laugh. Lots of incorrect info and half-hearted attempts at help.

Anyone on this board registered over there? We should join and attack!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 9, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The endless amount of people asking about games in winxp/2k is quite irritating. If they'd just set a sticky topic with some easy hints on getting them to run and if that don't work just shut up and install win98.

Reply 2 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I keep telling The Underdogs to close that forum and send people here, but she doesn't listen to me. Anyone with more connections? Anyone? Hm?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover I keep telling The Underdogs to close that forum and send people here, but she doesn't listen to me.

Do you really want to do that? Remember when I asked about a board that had an "old games on modern PC's" forum and someone suggested Underdogs, I disregarded it precisely because of the chaos on her forums.

Helping people is a two-way street. A lot of these people seem to think there's a easy answer for all their questions..."turn off the emergency break" answers. If they don't learn even a little about their OS, then their problems will never end.

Look how we have to beg people give us their system specs...

*gah*

Reply 4 of 9, by yawnmoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

people could be required to take a quiz over the faq before they sign up! that way, we wouldn't get the scum the underdogs has to deal with, hehe.

Reply 5 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps, but there are some people that don't know computers very much here that have, and continue to, endeavour to provide good information. Just because they don't know stuff doesn't mean they're scum. Besides, there's always the nifty IP mask ban. 😜

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Just because they don't know stuff doesn't mean they're scum.

Well that's not what I meant, but there's a lot of discourse over basic things that has to be repeated over and over. Also, remember how quickly things got out of control when we had a certain person who lost his patience because we didn't put him "at the front of the line" for a solution.

What I'm trying to say is that while you're explaining XP doesn't have any DOS in it and no direct-to-hardware sound is allowed to one guy, there's someone else trying to understand why they can't get MIDI music with their SoundBlaster digital audio in "Darklands" on their XP machine (even though they know it's possible because it's been done before) who isn’t getting any help because you're spending time with that first guy.

(BTW, the answer to the second involves "mixing" the soundriver files within the game).

I guess what we need is a "introduction" document.

Something like...."So, you've just installed XP" (with the subtitle of "Hope you let it set up a Dual-Boot").

Reply 7 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Certainly, I want Deep Thought to be a more concrete repository instead of Just Another Forum, but I simply don't have the time. Even during this winter vacation I'm up to my arse in projects.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that applies to most of us... "Real-life" is pretty hacked off at me right now, so I really need to concentrate more on it than old-game troubleshooting. If I win the lottery I promise I'll spend more time troubleshooting.

Reply 9 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

666 seems like a popular number for the three-digit lottos. I saw it on Friday the 13th (mwahaha) for the local pick-3 lotto. Sure, it's only 100 grand, but hey, free money!

Yes, it’s my fault.