VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember back in the 90's there were these newsgroups which one could load up on CompuServe, Prodigy, etc. I think Google made an archive of these that are still searchable and postable, but they are no longer active. Is there a modern analogy of the 90's newsgroups? I've been looking for some income tax newsgroup but cannot seem to find anything very active. There's reddit, but the activity in r/tax is pretty scarce.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 6, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

whilst usenet still exists and is still used, the large part of the 'discussing things' traffic is very low, everything has pretty much moved to forums first and then to 'social media' like reddit

you could look for misc.taxes.moderated, no idea if its still active though

Reply 3 of 6, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Google purchased Dejanews, who ran an archive of much of the newsgroups.

Google operated it for a year or two in good faith and then maimed the search option to such a degree that it is very difficult to use it effectively... It's possible, but difficult.

Thanks all the people who supported Google in her infancy.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 5 of 6, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ASVS? The last post was 2020 though. Unfortunately I have never been a member. I was really into Star Wars vs Star Trek debates back then, although mostly as lurker (but hey, I had my share of fun!), and I heard ASVS was the place where people say 'fuck you' as casually as 'how are you'.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 6, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerry wrote on 2021-05-12, 10:41:

whilst usenet still exists and is still used, the large part of the 'discussing things' traffic is very low, everything has pretty much moved to forums first and then to 'social media' like reddit

you could look for misc.taxes.moderated, no idea if its still active though

It looks like this group still exists and a few posts are going through, but almost nobody replies. I'd say there is some market for a modern income tax forum, but I suppose the trouble is getting accountants or lawyers who love the subject so much that they volunteer their time to reply.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.