VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just found this article on MSNBC:

Some bravery as a side dish Forget liver: Here are 7 foods that truly require a fearless stomach […]
Show full quote

Some bravery as a side dish
Forget liver: Here are 7 foods that truly require a fearless stomach

It was Jeffrey Steingarten, author of “The Man Who Ate Everything,” who most recently insisted that we should embrace the universe of foodstuffs around us. You've heard variations on this spiel: Try everything once because (this part gets repeated in your most motherly tone) if you don't try it, you won't know if you like it.

Those principles are fine for Brussels sprouts and sweetbreads. But seeing as it's the time of year when grossing people out gets semi-official sanctioning from a semi-official holiday, now is the moment to consider foods that push the envelope of edibility.

We're not talking about haunted-house, peeled-grapes-as-eyeballs gross. We're talking about food that can churn your stomach without the aid of a blindfold.

and

7) Spiders. Entomologists might disagree, but the practice of eating insects doesn't seem nearly so bad as it sounds at first.

But the line has to be drawn somewhere, and arachnids seem to be a good place to draw it. Spider-eating is practiced in a number of places, but Cambodia seems to be the place where it has drawn the most attention, thanks to a practice of eating meaty finger-sized tarantulas known in Khmer as a-ping. For about a dime per arachnid, you can get a cheap, ample meal of the critters fried up with salt, pepper and perhaps a bit of garlic. (Keep in mind that a full restaurant entree can be found in Phnom Penh for under $2.)

And of course, there's pic as well. Look at the size of the spider.

051024_friedspider_vmed_3p.widec.jpg

Also found some interesting pics here.

spider-food-01.jpg

spider-food-02.jpg

The question is how does spider actually taste? Anyone have ever tried spider before? I haven't tried it myself, but since Chelicerates and Crustaceans belong to the same phylum (Arthropoda, ,that is), then I guess spider should taste quite similar to crab or lobster, shouldn't it?

Reply 1 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The question is how does spider actually taste?

Like chicken of course!

but the practice of eating insects doesn't seem nearly so bad as it sounds at first.

Also spider's aren't insects. 😉

I wouldn't have a problem eating spiders if:

1. It was dead first.
2. There was a point to it. (If there's other edible things to eat first.)
3. It was thoroughly cooked.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 14, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As an arachnophobe, I vote a firm 'nay'. Don't care what it tastes like. I'll refuse to eat anything that has more than 4 legs.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 3 of 14, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

The question is how does spider actually taste?

Like chicken of course!

Are you sure? Won't it taste more like crab or lobster? I think spider is closer to those in biological tree.

Or maybe I should put it the other way around; maybe it is crab and lobster that taste like spider, only we never knew because we never have spider for meal. Makes me wonder though: when one enjoys lobster at some seafood restaurants, has it ever come to her/his mind that the food belongs to the same phylum as spider, scorpion, and cockroach? Consider the facts: they all have exoskeleton, they all have soft & juicy innards, they all have segmented limbs, and of course, they all tend to go "crunch" when one steps on them. With a wet, crunching sound. 😁

DosFreak wrote:

but the practice of eating insects doesn't seem nearly so bad as it sounds at first.

Also spider's aren't insects. 😉

I wouldn't have a problem eating spiders if:

How about insects?

Reply 4 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'd eat almost anything, although it doesn't need to resemble a spider.
There is probably little meat on those legs.

In my country the eating of raw fish is a delicaty. So a well cooked spider shouldn't pose a problem 😉

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've eaten ants and grasshoper. intentionaly ..and bugs (unfortunately). Kinda unavoidable when you've got your head out of a window, riding a bike, etc...

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 14, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

I've eaten ants and grasshoper.

Heh. You should go to my country sometimes. In Northern Sulawesi region, bamboo worm is considered delicacy --it's a part of the exotic local cuisine, actually. 😉

Qbix wrote:

In my country the eating of raw fish is a delicaty.

Ahh... Sushi, isn't it? Always love sushi. Raw fish... Yum! *drools*

Reply 9 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I wouldn't eat the crack spider or its bitch (excuse me, I'm just quoting) the marijuana spider, watch this movie : http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1734043/

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 14, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

uaghh!! those pictures give me the creeps! just the imagine of eating insects and/or such big fat hairy spiders is unsustainable for me.
i dont care what it tastes like, but i think it is definitely not crab or lobster...

I wouldn't eat the crack spider or its bitch (excuse me, I'm just quoting) the marijuana spider, watch this movie : http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1734043/

ROFL

sysprofile.png

Reply 11 of 14, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

I've eaten ants and grasshoper.

There was a kind of survivor guy in our local televison who has eaten grasshopers and he claimed that they tasted like hazelnuts.
And in my experience hazelnuts don't taste quite like chicken. 😉

(But I don't really want to try out what they really taste like if I don't have to.)

Reply 12 of 14, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yuck! It reminds me of that Fallout (PC game) quote. Iguana-on-a-stick. 'It tastes just like chicken'. Now we all know where that iguana meat came from.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 13 of 14, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Yuck! It reminds me of that Fallout (PC game) quote. Iguana-on-a-stick. 'It tastes just like chicken'. Now we all know where that iguana meat came from.

Yup. The 'iguana' is actually various parts of human corpses.

Back to the topic, I always wonder how it would taste to eat a live insect or spider. Or how about roaches? I mean, they will go "crunch" inside our mouth when we chew them; spilling their soft and semi-liquid innards inside our mouth. Slurpy!