VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://compfusion.blogspot.com/2007/02/double-dragon.html

Today was one of these surreal days where you are high on adrenaline and nothing gets accomplished. […]
Show full quote

Today was one of these surreal days where you are high on adrenaline and nothing gets accomplished.

First, at 12.59 PM Pacific Time (i.e. exactly 1 minute before the East-Coast-based market closed) VMware's President announced that EMC, VMware's parent company, would sell 10% of VMware in an Initial Public Offering. Apparently, that is what Wall Street wanted, as the EMC stock price immediately gained 7% in after-hours trading.

Second, the cat came out of the bag. Somebody managed to get a hand on an internal beta build of VMware Fusion whose UI offers a way to accelerate 3D graphics in virtual machines, and even made a video of some serious 3D gaming action in Fusion.

This video kind of caught us by surprise. The timing is somewhat bad, because one piece of news shadows the other.

I have been looking for clues in the video to find out who made it. The video is clearly amateur:

* No tripod was used. The image constantly drifts as if somebody was trying to hold the camcorder still.
* The transition effects are typical of off-the-shelf iMovie on the Mac.
* The video is a bit too long at times, some sequences could have been shortened.

The author of this video (a woman if the female voice-over is any indication?) is obviously a dedicated VMware and Mac zealot. While I wish we had done this video ourselves, given how well the video has been received so far, I can only say "Thank You".

VMware products have had a semi-hidden switch for some sort of 3D support in virtual machines on Linux and Windows since VMware Workstation 5.0, which was released almost 2 years ago (April 2005).

Since then, work on the 3D front has been progressing steadily, with DirectX 8.1 support in VMware Workstation 6 and VMware Fusion (both are built from the same code base).

Internally, our goal is to support DirectX 9 for Windows Vista's Aero.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 2, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is really great news. 3D and proper sound support were the only important things missing on VMWare, otherwise it is by far best Virtual Machine for using Windows 9x.
Now that Vista is coming, this program gets even more important, seeing as many old Windows games won't run anymore.

Reply 2 of 2, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

😀 Since I have shares in EMC, I liked this part best: Apparently, that is what Wall Street wanted, as the EMC stock price immediately gained 7% in after-hours trading.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions