VOGONS

Common searches

Most disappointing games?

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 532, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyone who dislikes FF7 deserves to be burned at the stake. And have his/hers ashes blown in the 7 winds. And thrown in a functional cesspit. Played it to death both on PC and PS. To death of the gamepad, I meant.
Well, back to topic... I have a selective memory, and I forget easily ye games I disliked. Anyways...
Far Cry was good. The 2, kinda bullshitty. I am not polliticaly correct, I am african biased, I had enough of scam mails originated from west africa, so I enjoyed killing black african people :p (tha real niggaz). Almost as much as I enjoyed killing germans on Wolfenstein. Or sith in Star Wars games.
Biggest letdown was Black&White, which did not run on any of my PCs. Waste of money. Then Stonekeep. I only managed to run it with dosbox, it does not work on any of my PCs. Morrowwind was kinda MEH. So is Oblivion. I guess I was too Gothic to enjoy the weak story of M and O.
When I played the first Gothic, I had a Celeron 600 overclocked to 900, with 128 Mb of SDRAM. And a TNT2 M64. Oh, the horror.... whenever I loaded a savegame, I had to wait 7mins, actually I had time to go for a smoke. With 256 Mb, it was a different story. Enjoyed G2 too. Even G3, after the community patches.
Back to games I dislike...
Magic Carpet, anyone? Laser Squad, Syndicate. Even X-COM 2... Played it first, then I got X-COM 1, and realised the 2 was the same thing with different story... What a letdown...
I also find The Witcher overrated. Nice game, looks good, but does not have the "je ne sais quoi" thingie. Pardon my french, is only my second language. And english is the third.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 101 of 532, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fillosaurus wrote:

I also find The Witcher overrated. Nice game, looks good, but does not have the "je ne sais quoi" thingie. Pardon my french, is only my second language. And english is the third.

Hmm...I thought if anything The Witcher personified that phrase.

Reply 102 of 532, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't say I was disappointed by FF7 but I do think its a little overrated. I've only played 7 on PSX and 4, 5 and 6 on the SNES but I much preferred the SNES titles. 7's graphics are ugly, the game plays a lot slower, and materia makes the game grindier.

I was disappointed with Bioshock. I loved System Shock 1 and 2 and when Bioshock was billed as the spritual successor I was disappointed to find that it was dumbed down into basically a fairly standard shooter with an admittedly unique setting. The RPG elements had all been removed, the big plot twist was phoned in (if you'd played SS2 you'd have seen it coming a mile away).

Mass Effect 2 was disappointing. For all its flaws I really liked the first one, I liked the idea of having a space ship that you could land on different planets and explore them. Admittedly the game felt unfinished, most of those planets were empty, if you just followed the main quest you probably could finish the game in a couple of hours (most of that time was spent in dialogue trees). I was hoping they would expand on the exploration and RPG elements in the sequel but they actually took most of that out, now you just 'scanned' planets instead of exploring them, the game basically just alternated between conversation and combat.
I didn't even bother with ME3 but from all the rage on the internet it appears the ending is really disappointing.

Battlezone 2, I loved the first one, being set in the cold war, yanks vs commies.... the second one just seemed to lack that special character. I played the first over and over but just couldn't get into the second.

Civilization 4: Colonization... again, loved the original, the remake was dumbed down, a lot of the features, terrain types and cargo types were removed. I've heard there are mods to make it more like the original gameplay but I haven't bothered to look into this further.

Duke Nukem Forever... I grew up playing DN1 and DN2 shareware, my PC at the time wouldn't run DN3D but a friends did and I wasted many hours over there playing it. Read the previews at the end of the 90's hyping it up, it looked awesome... we get it a decade later and it sucks. Broussard fucked it up, kept fiddling with it, chopping and changing as he pleased, we ended up with a COD clone. That whole alien hive level was boring and offensive and would have been better off if it wasn't included in the game. They should have released it 10 years ago when Duke 3D was still a badass, now he just seems like a try hard.

Oblivion (and to a lesser extent Skyrim) - I loved Morrowind, had cool setting, unique flora and fauna, the sense of exploration was awesome (didn't have a compass telling you where to go) and given that more items were hand placed rather than randomly generated the reward for exploration far outweighed the risk. The plot was cool and levelling up to become basically a superhuman was cool. Oblivion sucked, had a generic fantasy setting, stupid level scaling that made the game impossibly hard if you put most used skills as primary, (enemies would become damage sponges and combat became a boring battle of attrition). You'd explore a cavern or dungeon and come out with 3 septims and a spool of cotton. The plot sucked too, you weren't the hero, martin was. Features like levitate were removed because it was too hard for them to make it work without breaking the game.
Skyrim improved on oblivion a lot but still it felt a bit like the risk/reward of exploration wasn't as good as morrowind's. They added a lot of stupid features like smithing that just encouraged grinding for levels. The exploration felt a bit samey after a while; you'd slog through a long dungeon that looked the same as all the others, solve an insultingly easy puzzle with those symbols, fight a boss, get a few coins and maybe a shout, and then get shown a convenient exit that takes you right to the front door again. I really think that they've lost sight of what made Morrowind great, it was a rich, deep experience, but I feel the sequels are broad but not deep.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 103 of 532, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I am woefully outdated - the last game I played was Unreal2 - and that as a huge disappointment over the original.

Judging from some of the things I have heard and in other places I am not sure I would even want to mess with any more modern games. I protest this trend of having to have an internet connection to do anything with a computer and this "rental" philosophy with software. If they are going to be that way, than can just keep it.

Reply 104 of 532, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ncmark wrote:

Well I am woefully outdated - the last game I played was Unreal2 - and that as a huge disappointment over the original.

Judging from some of the things I have heard and in other places I am not sure I would even want to mess with any more modern games. I protest this trend of having to have an internet connection to do anything with a computer and this "rental" philosophy with software. If they are going to be that way, than can just keep it.

I kinda liked Unreal2, though it was a disappointment that it wasn't a true successor to the original Unreal.

I'm pretty sure I've played some disappointing games before, but I tend to quickly forget about them 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 106 of 532, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Matrix games 'enhanced' re-releases of Close Combat II to V
The maps are OK, but the programming job is poor to the point of preferring the old versions.

TIE Fighter collector's edition for Windows 95
Replaced the midi music with static tracks, stretched movies, ugly menu screens, etc...

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 107 of 532, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
ncmark wrote:

I kinda liked Unreal2, though it was a disappointment that it wasn't a true successor to the original Unreal.

I'm pretty sure I've played some disappointing games before, but I tend to quickly forget about them 😜

I think unreal2 *could* have been okay if they had eliminated the cutscenes and made it more like the first game

Reply 108 of 532, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seriously the most disappointing game I played recently is Codename: Iceman.

I have a brother overseas, and both of use share a passion for old games. I played on my retro machine with Roland MT-32, he had DOSBox and MUNT. We had Skype running and for a few days we would play together and help each other out.

The first section was really fund and classic Sierra stuff. But once you get onto the sub everything changes. It was the most frustrating and annoying game I have come across in a long time. Timing issues, torpedo fights that are based on random factors meaning you have to constantly save in order to progress, an annoying dice game that took over an hour to beat and very weak ending, even the graphics in the end are very bad, I believe they just wanted to quickly finish the game and ship it.

The main good thing about the game is the music. But apart from that it's a real pain to play.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 109 of 532, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty much most modern games disappoint me these days... There are some that i enjoy (currently playing Dishonored and i'm liking it). Quite a few of the indie releases are far more interesting and entertaining than most of the big name games imo.

Last edited by PowerPie5000 on 2013-03-08, 23:07. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 110 of 532, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Industry Giant 2
The first IG was great, the second one was a downright dissappointment.

Any C&C starting from RA2
I never got that feeling I got from RA1.

Criterion's NFS Hot Pursuit
No, just no! It sucked donkeyballs compared to the original.

Heroes of Might and Magic IV, V and later.
Number 3 is still the best.

M.A.X. 2
Again, the first one was great, this one sucked beyond belief.

The Settlers 5 and later
There is no substitute for the second game in the series. Numbers 3 and 4 are acceptable but have clumsy interfaces.

From Dust
Populous The Beginning rip-off that doesn't do the concept justice.

Europa Universalis III
WTF? How are you supposed to take over the world if every nation declares war on you after taking over just several territories 🙁

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 111 of 532, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NitroX infinity wrote:

To be fair, IV had some excellent music, but I didn't like the gameplay changes and graphical style either. Everything after that is of course utterly generic junk.

Another disappointing release was Resident Evil 5.

Reply 114 of 532, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NitroX infinity wrote:

Side note: HoMM3 Complete is on sale at GOG this weekend! http://www.gog.com/gamecard/heroes_of_might_a … omplete_edition

Reply 115 of 532, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WarTrain: Normandie 1944. Spend money for 4 ugly levels of trivial train sim. That's when I started to read magazines and stopped trusting covers.

Reply 118 of 532, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ RacoonRider, nice triple post 🤣.

Where do I start,

Carmageddon 3: TDR - Looked worse than C2, Zombies, Mission every other level was just fail.

Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES) - Annoying and not as good as SMB The lost levels. At that it was a re-skin of Doki Doki or some crud.

GTA 3+ Bores me. Bought GTA 4/LC pack on steam and got to the first date with some chick at a bowling ally (very early point in game) and gotta say WTF! I won't be buying Sleeping Dogs cause it has some girls you gotta deal with. LAME!

NFS Undercover. So broken it plays like shit on a PS3 w/SSD, and even my current PC. Not to say other NFS games aren't crud but this takes the cake!

Quake 3 - NO SP!! really, no SP, its just a training course. F.U. Q3

There are more but drawing a blank.

I must say, didn't like HL1 as much after the first half of the game. HL2 was enjoying and remember playing it night after night on my Geforce FX5700 Ultra running DX8 mode due to DX9 implementation on GFFX series was so bad. Also must sing my praises about Prey. That game was fun.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 119 of 532, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't experience disappointment firsthand very often. I don't buy hype; I read reviews and watch videos and can suss out what to expect before I buy. It's always sad when a beloved franchise is put in the wrong hands and turns into a turgid generic experience for mass appeal... but maybe I've seen to much to care. The games I used to love still exist.

That said: back in 2001, my girlfriend at the time bought me a GameBoy Advance on my birthday. The games, the technology, the fact that the screen STILL wasn't backlit - that all added up to a completely underwhelming experience. It was a stark contrast to the thousands of hours of enjoyment I got out of my original GB.