Comeback for AMD? [Polaris]

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 170, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

If you read the article linked, you would see that they didn't have to act. There was no threat of harm to anyone's computer as a result of it running out of spec. According to Tom's, a healthy ATX PSU will still be able to provide the power draw through the PCIe slot without any risk of burning anything out.

Erm, the reason that they had to act was not because there was an immediate threat of harm to computers (that was never the issue.. which should have been obvious since none of the reviewers reported their systems breaking down).
The reason was that they sell these cards as being PCI-e compliant, where Tomshardware clearly demonstrated they were not, and also mentioned this quite explicitly in the article.
PCI-SIG must sue them if they use the PCI-e trademarks anywhere relating to the product, while not meeting the requirements. A lawsuit would follow, and the cards would have to be taken off the market.
So I wonder if *you* read the article, because you seem to be in denial of any issues.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 101 of 170, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While I understand the concerns about higher than specced power usage on the PCIE slot, I wonder why the Nvidia gtx 960 didn't raise this much noise when it used more than 75 watts fom the slot. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-ge … 960,4038-8.html.
True, the worst offender was the Asus Strix one, but all in all the situation is not much different there. The review cards of RX 480 all came from one manufacturer, but so did all the Asus Strix cards in the tests. This is not the first time the reference cards have been crap in one way or another, and I fully expect non reference designs of these cards to fix the issues.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 102 of 170, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Aideka wrote:

While I understand the concerns about higher than specced power usage on the PCIE slot, I wonder why the Nvidia gtx 960 didn't raise this much noise when it used more than 75 watts fom the slot. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-ge … 960,4038-8.html.
True, the worst offender was the Asus Strix one, but all in all the situation is not much different there. The review cards of RX 480 all came from one manufacturer, but so did all the Asus Strix cards in the tests. This is not the first time the reference cards have been crap in one way or another, and I fully expect non reference designs of these cards to fix the issues.

Because it didn't.
Firstly, the Asus Strix is not a reference card, unlike the RX480s tested. So whatever Asus does is not nVidia's responsibility. Asus doesn't exactly make it a secret that this is not a reference card.
Secondly, even the Strix doesn't go above 75W of average draw on the PCI-e slot. which means it stays within specs. All other 960s do even better.
The AMD-designed and supplied RX480 cards DID go above 75W average, and by quite a margin.

And again, I have to question why this 960 is brought up everywhere... Like an army of AMD fanboys peddling the same crap everywhere.

Reply 103 of 170, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scali wrote:
Because it didn't. Firstly, the Asus Strix is not a reference card, unlike the RX480s tested. So whatever Asus does is not nVidi […]
Show full quote
Aideka wrote:

Because it didn't.
Firstly, the Asus Strix is not a reference card, unlike the RX480s tested. So whatever Asus does is not nVidia's responsibility. Asus doesn't exactly make it a secret that this is not a reference card.
Secondly, even the Strix doesn't go above 75W of average draw on the PCI-e slot. which means it stays within specs. All other 960s do even better.
The AMD-designed and supplied RX480 cards DID go above 75W average, and by quite a margin.

And again, I have to question why this 960 is brought up everywhere... Like an army of AMD fanboys peddling the same crap everywhere.

Well, I don't think I can be called a fanboy when I have an Intel CPU and Nvidia gpu on my main PC, what I think is weird, is that people all over are so pissed off for AMD when no one seems to care about the same thing on Nvidia cards. Yes, that was mostly just Asus fault, but how many people are going to buy reference cards anyway? Or rather, how many WERE going to buy an reference RX 480. I am almost sure, that had it been for example Sapphire who had made the mistake now made by AMD, the fanboys would put up the same kind of a show anyway.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 104 of 170, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Aideka wrote:

Well, I don't think I can be called a fanboy when I have an Intel CPU and Nvidia gpu on my main PC

Sure you can. You might be fanboy-by-proxy, because you read about that GTX960-stuff posted by other AMD fanboys, and then brought it up here.
Lack of critical thinking and analysis would be your crime in that case. Which is pretty much 'fanboy'.

Aideka wrote:

when no one seems to care about the same thing on Nvidia cards.

I already answered that.
1) It's not the same thing (peak vs average).
2) It's not nVidia's card.

Reply 105 of 170, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So Tom's Hardware are AMD fanboys then? Or just me because I have been building computers for friends and relatives for a long time, and happened to read that article when first when it was originally released. What might make me a fanboy then, is going for Radeon R9 380 gpus on those builds instead of GTX 960, but just because of the price/performance ratio.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 106 of 170, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Aideka wrote:

So Tom's Hardware are AMD fanboys then?

Why would Tomshardware be AMD fanboys? They're the ones that did the power measurements on the RX480s and 960s, and expressed their concerns.
It's the AMD fanboys that drag out an age-old 960 review to try to spin it like nVidia did the same thing as what happened with the RX480 now, and trying to pretend there isn't a problem with the RX480's power draw. Which is disingenuous.
If there really wasn't a problem, then AMD wouldn't have made two official statements on the issue in a matter of days, and wouldn't have drivers with two separate fixes/workarounds for this issue forthcoming.

Reply 107 of 170, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Offtopic, and most likely will mark me as a fanboy for once and for all, but... http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-vive- … ible,32204.html. How did that happen 😲. Guess they weren't as VR ready as advertised.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 108 of 170, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Aideka wrote:

Offtopic, and most likely will mark me as a fanboy for once and for all, but... http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-vive- … ible,32204.html. How did that happen 😲. Guess they weren't as VR ready as advertised.

Well, I indeed don't see any other reason than 'fanboy' why you'd bring up completely unrelated issues on nVidia hardware in a thread discussing the Radeon RX480.

Reply 109 of 170, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, there's a bit of a difference between a card that is definitely constantly out of spec, and one that doesn't work on the (optional) displayport interface, and will probably work with a driver update. Plus there's been various VR testing with the 1070/1080 and it works well, albeit with the comment of 'wait for the 1080Ti for best performance'

Reply 110 of 170, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scali wrote:
Aideka wrote:

Well, I indeed don't see any other reason than 'fanboy' why you'd bring up completely unrelated issues on nVidia hardware in a thread discussing the Radeon RX480.

Well, there has been discussion about Nvidia Titan and Pascal architecture on this thread before, so this is about just as unrelated as that. Believe me, that if it was AMD RX 480 that had this problem, I would have linked it too, because it is marketed as a VR ready gpu aswell as those Nvidias.
Going out of spec is possibly dangerous to your PC, that I don't deny, but while this is unlikely to break anything, how did this get past testing anyway?

8zszli-6.png

Reply 111 of 170, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The default connection for the Vive is HDMI, which is probably what most people are using. It is poor that not all connections were tested, though.

Reply 112 of 170, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ynari wrote:

The default connection for the Vive is HDMI, which is probably what most people are using. It is poor that not all connections were tested, though.

Yeah, the problem here is that HDMI is the default connection to a lot of things, and there being just one HDMI port on 10XX series of cards. Ofcourse fhis could be fixed by an DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, but I don't think people were expecting to need one of those since the Vive has an DP port anyway.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 113 of 170, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Aideka wrote:

Well, there has been discussion about Nvidia Titan and Pascal architecture on this thread before, so this is about just as unrelated as that.

No it is not. The Polaris architecture competes with the Pascal architecture, so there's your relevance.
But this is completely unrelated to AMD and Polaris.
Pointing fingers to nVidia is nothing but a fallacy. No matter how bad or broken nVidia's products may be, that is never an excuse for flaws in AMD products. And it's rather childish to bring them up.

Reply 114 of 170, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:
No it is not. The Polaris architecture competes with the Pascal architecture, so there's your relevance. But this is completely […]
Show full quote
Aideka wrote:

Well, there has been discussion about Nvidia Titan and Pascal architecture on this thread before, so this is about just as unrelated as that.

No it is not. The Polaris architecture competes with the Pascal architecture, so there's your relevance.
But this is completely unrelated to AMD and Polaris.
Pointing fingers to nVidia is nothing but a fallacy. No matter how bad or broken nVidia's products may be, that is never an excuse for flaws in AMD products. And it's rather childish to bring them up.

But that's what the internet does, bro. They can't fight you in a straight debate, so they use a logical fallacy to try to turn you away from the fact that they can't back their own arguments up.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 117 of 170, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im so confused now, did the two threads merge?

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 118 of 170, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never mind im looking at the wrong one 😵 im looking at the wrong thread, there was 2 of the same and thats why this one was changed

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 119 of 170, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

New driver out soon, that's great news 😀

The QA guys are hopefully embarrassed about the situation 😊

I find it cool that you can control power distribution through the driver. As long as they hard-lock the PCIe power draw to 75 W all is good.

Still no news on the 470 and 460 which is a shame.

1060 just around the corner, interesting times. But Nvidia will likely command a Premium, and they should, so AMD can sell at their set price and get some money into their war chest 😀

Also eager to hear about a possible 1050.

YouTube, Facebook, Website