l33t++

you read vogons in too low resolution for that 😉

Reply 144 of 325, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Moderator FYI:

The moderator controls for splitting topics are much different in the new version (had to figure this out just now to split a spam post into the Trash Can forum).

As far as I can tell, you have to enter split mode via the "Quick-mod tools" dropdown in the lower-right (under "Jump to"). You can then put checkmarks next to one or more posts and then choose an action from another dropdown (which includes the old "split selected post(s)" and "split from selected post" options along with some new ones).

Reply 145 of 325, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

My linked images seem to be cut-off on the right side. Usually I link to the 1024x768 size.

For example : Re: Eye of the Beholder III : need image of disk 4

The link to the original image: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3764/9237420309 … 9a8993fe4_b.jpg

IMO - posts with large pictures should get a horizontal scroll-bar to allow viewing the entire image, instead of clipping it.

Changing "overflow: hidden" --> "overflow-x: scroll" (under .content, line 1220) will do the trick.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 146 of 325, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks. I just checked in my higher-res LCD and the picture looks ok.

I posted the previous post using a LCD tv at 1280x720. The picture was chopped-off on the right and no scroll bar was seen.

The older site displayed the scroll bar when the image was big and the screen res was low.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 147 of 325, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VileRancour wrote:

IMO - posts with large pictures should get a horizontal scroll-bar to allow viewing the entire image

Scroll bars are annoying to use. It will be better to just show the whole picture with part of it being outside the post so that post width is not affected. (same with enclosed images)

Reply 148 of 325, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote:
VileRancour wrote:

IMO - posts with large pictures should get a horizontal scroll-bar to allow viewing the entire image

Scroll bars are annoying to use. It will be better to just show the whole picture with part of it being outside the post so that post width is not affected. (same with enclosed images)

My memory is that the old forum would just make the entire page wider that the image was on, which I hated because it meant that I had to scroll horizontally to read the rest of the posts on that page.

For me it would be ideal if wide images would be shown inside of a frame, such that the overall page width would never be wider than the browser window, but so that large images would still get a scrollbar. You could still save the image or open it in a new tab/window/page to see the whole thing at once :p

Reply 149 of 325, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

HunterZ why not my suggestion?

Reply 150 of 325, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@robertmo: The new forum appears to have a dynamic width that is based on the width of the browser window. I therefore expect it to be non-trivial for the forum to allow an image to exceed the width of the browser window while still formatting the rest of the page according to the browser window width. If I am incorrect, then your way may be the best of both worlds.

Reply 151 of 325, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

vogons test forum (its mobile version) has such an option - it even allows to shrink to forum width/enlarge out of forum width option in one click

Reply 152 of 325, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I noticed foreign language characters got broken. The strange thing is that when you search for a broken character and choose to display titles only those characters are presented correctly:
search.php?keywords=nLite+1.0+%C3%83%C5%B8eta … 0&submit=Search

But if you choose to display as posts they are broken:
search.php?keywords=nLite+1.0+%C3%83%C5%B8eta … 0&submit=Search

Reply 153 of 325, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote:

But then if it extends past the edge of the screen, there's no way to view it in full (except for saving/new tab/etc). Unless you add a scrollbar to the entire page, which is probably more annoying than just the individual image or post.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 154 of 325, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

your browser will add the scrollbar automatically to the browser's tab, and you can navigate it easily using left/right arrows

Reply 155 of 325, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Qbix wrote:

@Stiletto and HunterZ, I've repaired the active topic link. Thanks for the report.

Search found more than 1000 matches • Page 1 of 40

If it won't place undue stress on the server, any way to return more than 1000 matches/40 pages?
Any way to display posts from previous: 2 years, 3 years, etc.?

That would be cool.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 156 of 325, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:
Display posts from previous: 1 year Search found more than 1000 matches • Page 1 of 40 […]
Show full quote
Qbix wrote:

@Stiletto and HunterZ, I've repaired the active topic link. Thanks for the report.

Search found more than 1000 matches • Page 1 of 40

If it won't place undue stress on the server, any way to return more than 1000 matches/40 pages?
Any way to display posts from previous: 2 years, 3 years, etc.?

That would be cool.

I am able to pick "All results" instead of "1 year", and it actually defaults to "7 days" for me.

However, it still maxes out at 1000 matches / 40 pages, which only goes back 3 months or so. I didn't realize VOGONS was that active!

Reply 157 of 325, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote:

Prince of Persia original stches and creation process material

Fixed.

Stiletto

Reply 158 of 325, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:

I am able to pick "All results" instead of "1 year", and it actually defaults to "7 days" for me.

However, it still maxes out at 1000 matches / 40 pages, which only goes back 3 months or so.

Yeah, I know. It defaults to 7 days for me too, I just wanted to point out that it maxes out at 1000 matches/40 pages or approx. 3 months if you set it to 1 year.

As Snover and Qbix know, I spent _many_ years inactive on VOGONS and I harbor a fantasy that someday I'd be able to do something like run a query like "show all active posts" that would list all threads in sorted-by-most-recent-reply order dating back to my most recent peak of activity before signing off for a while, which is something close to a decade probably. Not sure if I'd have time to read ten years of threads, but I do often have large bouts of free time. 😁

Anyhow, like I said - it'd be cool 😁

Stiletto

Reply 159 of 325, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:
Yeah, I know. It defaults to 7 days for me too, I just wanted to point out that it maxes out at 1000 matches/40 pages or approx. […]
Show full quote
HunterZ wrote:

However, it still maxes out at 1000 matches / 40 pages, which only goes back 3 months or so.

Yeah, I know. It defaults to 7 days for me too, I just wanted to point out that it maxes out at 1000 matches/40 pages or approx. 3 months if you set it to 1 year.

As Snover and Qbix know, I spent _many_ years inactive on VOGONS and I harbor a fantasy that someday I'd be able to do something like run a query like "show all active posts" that would list all threads in sorted-by-most-recent-reply order dating back to my most recent peak of activity before signing off for a while, which is something close to a decade probably. Not sure if I'd have time to read ten years of threads, but I do often have large bouts of free time. 😁

Anyhow, like I said - it'd be cool 😁

You could just go one subforum at a time and page back to the right spot and start from there.