VOGONS

Common searches

Microsoft Will NOT Support Windows 7 or 8 Installations on New Hardware

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 140 of 155, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PCBONEZ wrote:

Don't need to anyone here can read back.

No, if you make accusations like this, you have to come up with a quote.
Which you can't, becasuse everyone who read this thread knows I never made such a claim.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 141 of 155, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, what does this all mean for end users? Does this mean that if I build a new machine by this time next year, from new parts, that I won't be able to run Windows 7? I am of course hoping that Win10's bugs will be ironed out by then, but given Micro$oft's track record over the last few years, I'd be very surprised if they were. 😜

I have my fingers crossed that things like WINE and AMD drivers on Linux will eventually *not suck* and actually be usable.

Reply 142 of 155, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

OK, what does this all mean for end users? Does this mean that if I build a new machine by this time next year, from new parts, that I won't be able to run Windows 7?

You won't be able to run Windows 7 as much as you can't run XP on Nehalem/Sandy Bridge PCs ^^
In other words - you might need a workaround here and there, but it shouldn't be that hard to make it work.

Reply 143 of 155, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

No, if you make accusations like this, you have to come up with a quote.
Which you can't, becasuse everyone who read this thread knows I never made such a claim.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 144 of 155, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

OK, what does this all mean for end users? Does this mean that if I build a new machine by this time next year, from new parts, that I won't be able to run Windows 7?

Nah, it'll just mean a bit more fiddling about to get the installation up and running, because the installation media doesn't support booting on the new USB stack by default. Some mobo makers have even been providing utilities to make a Z1xx-friendly USB image for you, so it's really much ado about nothing.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 145 of 155, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

If you were paying attention - everything.
You were responding to huckleberrypie. Look at what he said to which you responded.
I quoted that too. Should have been obvious.

What?

Whatever you're smoking, I want some of it.

Tobacco. But that shit is expensive now so I'm not buying you any.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 147 of 155, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I have my fingers crossed that things like WINE and AMD drivers on Linux will eventually *not suck* and actually be usable.

I dunno', I've been using xorg-radeon for quite a long time now on a HD 6870 and apart from it being arbitrarily limited to OpenGL 3.3 I've ran into no problems. It hitches sometimes in Serious Sam 3 though, but just about all the graphical features seem to work okay.

Wine 1.8 stable was released some time ago, FYI.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 148 of 155, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DracoNihil wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I dunno', I've been using xorg-radeon for quite a long time now on a HD 6870 and apart from it being arbitrarily limited to OpenGL 3.3 I've ran into no problems. It hitches sometimes in Serious Sam 3 though, but just about all the graphical features seem to work okay.

Wine 1.8 stable was released some time ago, FYI.

Latest git release has me up to OpenGL 4.1 on my 5870. I can't remember if the 6870 is held back because of DP floating point support, though.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 149 of 155, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

I can't remember if the 6870 is held back because of DP floating point support, though.

According to the footnote on RadeonFeature for Northern Islands:

19 OpenGL 4.1 is currently only supported on CYPRESS, CAYMAN and ARUBA. All other chips are currently limited to OpenGL 3.3

I'm on BARTS so, for reasons I don't understand since I'm not a dev. I only get OpenGL 3.3

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 150 of 155, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DracoNihil wrote:
According to the footnote on RadeonFeature for Northern Islands: […]
Show full quote
gdjacobs wrote:

I can't remember if the 6870 is held back because of DP floating point support, though.

According to the footnote on RadeonFeature for Northern Islands:

19 OpenGL 4.1 is currently only supported on CYPRESS, CAYMAN and ARUBA. All other chips are currently limited to OpenGL 3.3

I'm on BARTS so, for reasons I don't understand since I'm not a dev. I only get OpenGL 3.3

Barts doesn't do DP natively. It has to be emulated via shaders and that's not implemented yet.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 151 of 155, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
"Okay, what's the real reason Microsoft is changing support? […]
Show full quote

"Okay, what's the real reason Microsoft is changing support?

Only Redmond's execs know.

But here are some guesses:

· Yet another push, gentle or not, to get customers to migrate to Windows 10 sooner rather than later.

· A quid pro quo with the major OEMs (original equipment manufacturers), who were shut out of their usual new-OS bump in shipments and resulting sales when Microsoft offered a free upgrade to Windows 10. Microsoft's earlier-than-expected demise of Windows 7 support and the transitional list of privileged PCs, say analysts, will give a boost to OEM sales.

· A hint at how Microsoft could continue to make money even if Windows 10 is the last version of its OS, a question experts have pondered since the company first breathed the claim. Microsoft could, down the line, announce that the newest silicon will only run Windows 10.x, and push customers to buy new devices to retain support ..."

Microsoft mandates new Windows support rules

Let the air flow!

Reply 152 of 155, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Nah, it'll just mean a bit more fiddling about to get the installation up and running, because the installation media doesn't support booting on the new USB stack by default. Some mobo makers have even been providing utilities to make a Z1xx-friendly USB image for you, so it's really much ado about nothing.

So in other words, it's like installing XP to a system with AHCI. Speaking of which, I actually installed XP on my Thinkpad the other day for shits and giggles, and surprisingly it's still usable with the latest versions of Avast and Firefox. Not bad for a 15 year old operating system! It even feels somewhat snappier than 7 too.

Reply 153 of 155, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:

"Okay, what's the real reason Microsoft is changing support?

Only Redmond's execs know.

A. Again. They aren't changing anything.
B. There is no B. The only people left that think Microsoft have "changed" anything are illiterates and clickbaiters.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread