VOGONS

Common searches

Any of you on Windows 10?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 160 of 228, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bladeforce wrote:

I think you'll find the more widely used standard that is better for everyone is OpenGL

In theory. Reality is rather different however. Hopefully Vulkan will fix at least the major platform fragmentation issues.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 161 of 228, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally I upgrade my daughter's 8.1 Pro PC to Windows 10. It was an acceptably non-hassle update, only needed to update the NVidia drivers after the install manually. Other than that, everything works, and performancewise, I don't see much difference between the 8.1 and 10.

It's a lite PC in both hardware (AMD Phenom II X6 with 8 GB RAM, a 120GB SSD, Asus 710GT GPU) and software (MS Office 2010, ACDsee Pro 6, some games) so I was not expecting much problems anyway.

I don't have any intentions to upgrade my main rig or HTPC (both Windows 7 32bit machines), though. I'm quite happy with what they are at the moment.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 162 of 228, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fair warning to Windows 7 users: Check your six!

New Windows 7/8/8.1 updates spy on you just like Windows 10 - Microsoft is pushing KB3075249 and KB3080149 updates for Windows 7/8/8.1 users which can spy on you

Let the air flow!

Reply 163 of 228, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's the same kind of thing already in Windows 7 - it's just adding the metrics for error reporting to UAC dialogs.

If you are truly paranoid, you'd stop using Windows altogether. This is just an excuse not to upgrade. (Mine is bugs and UI regressions from 8.1, so....)

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 164 of 228, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:

Fair warning to Windows 7 users: Check your six!

(Link removed from quote)

The web of lies has gone from hilarious to depressing.

The first "evil" update, KB3075249, has this in the description on the KB page:

"This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature to collect information on elevations that come from low integrity levels."

So firstly, if you don't use UAC, it doesn't affect you. Second, this reads like it's so you can access more verbose logging of what process asked for elevation, and what action it was trying to do.

Lastly, even if it were for collecting data to return, if you're not enrolled into any of the error feedback related programs (which can all be disabled during Windows setup, or through the Control Panel later), then it has nowhere to send any data.

The second "evil" update, KB3080149, has this as the very first line in its description on the KB page:

"The diagnostics tracking service collects diagnostics about functional issues on Windows systems that participate in the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP)."

The CEIP can always be disabled, and you're asked during Windows setup if you'd like to participate. This is a very specific update, pertaining to a very specific function.

The article's author "Vijay" has taken a fair whack of creative licence to get from these two insignificant updates to "HOLY SHIT IT MAKES WIN7 INTO WIN10 YOU GUIES LOLOL".

These half-truths and paranoia are liquid gold for asshole clickbait bloggers, useless scaremongering for everybody else. You pasting this link here serves no purpose other than to improve techworm.net's SEO standings, improving the value of their ad impressions.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 165 of 228, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another angle of the in-progress sabotaging of Windows 7 to herd the cattle into the abomination.

Anandtech: Intel Skylake Z170 Motherboards

"... One big shock will be for Windows 7 users. By default, the Z170 chipset and BIOS will not support full USB 2.0 Enhanced Hos […]
Show full quote

"... One big shock will be for Windows 7 users. By default, the Z170 chipset and BIOS will not support full USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller (EHCI) mode. This means that for a number of circumstances, USB devices will not work unless an XHCI environment in play.

In our testing, this means that in order to install Windows 7 you need to do the following:

· Navigate to BIOS
· Enable ‘Windows 7 Installation’ or ‘EHCI mode’, Save and Exit.
· Have your Windows 7 image on an optical disk. USB sticks will not work!
· Install the OS as normal via the optical media. Install OS drivers/USB 3.0 drivers.
· Disable the BIOS option.

This is done for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it helps reduce the size of the BIOS for more customization (lol-031.gif). It also aids moving users to AHCI capable operating system installations. For everyone else, it is a bit of a headache. As far as we can tell, almost all motherboard manufacturers (at least the Tier-1s) will have this option in the BIOS to enable Windows 7 installation ..."

WCCF Tech: Intel and Microsoft joining hands in making a Windows 7 unfriendly ecosystem - Skylake Removes Support for USB based Windows 7 Installation

Let the air flow!

Reply 166 of 228, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:

Another angle of the in-progress sabotaging of Windows 7 to herd the cattle into the abomination.

Looks like they learnt from the Windows XP fiasco. We don't want people to stick to Windows 7 forever like they did to XP 😀

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 168 of 228, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So Intel didn't cling to old tech, the manufacturers went to the trouble of implementing options to help Windows 7 be installed in harware that is just too new and there is an evil scheme at play?

Also, I don't think it is impossible to slipstream xHCI drivers into a Windows 7 installation disk. Once you do that you might not even need that option.

Reply 169 of 228, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The whole problem here is that we've had UEFI for many years, and Windows 7 didn't support it.
Windows 7 is horribly outdated. With Windows 8 we finally had proper UEFI support in the OS, so booting became a lot more modern and streamlined.
I don't find it strange that the latest hardware doesn't bother with that crappy old legacy BIOS stuff anymore. Why would you even want to run Windows 7 on the latest hardware anyway? (please think before you answer anything related to some irrelevant differences in the UI).

Reply 170 of 228, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

This just in: New standards emerge, old software doesn't support it.

More at 5.

Except that isn't the case here. This is a case of an old standard (USB 2.0) not being supported by newer software (Windows 7) when that software always supported it before. This is a case of Microsoft deliberately breaking something that always worked up until now when there is no reason for it.

Reply 171 of 228, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Except that isn't the case here. This is a case of an old standard (USB 2.0) not being supported by newer software (Windows 7) when that software always supported it before. This is a case of Microsoft deliberately breaking something that always worked up until now when there is no reason for it.

I don't think that is the case at all.
What I understand is that the UEFI does not boot in legacy BIOS mode by default. The non-legacy way to boot is to let the OS initialize USB-devices etc. Windows 7 is not capable of this mode of booting. Windows 8 and higher are.
This has nothing to do with USB support once you have installed the OS and drivers, but simply makes it more difficult to install outdated OSes which can only run under legacy BIOS modes (as said, once the OS is installed, you can disable the BIOS option).
This is pretty much the same thing as Hackintosh systems: regular PCs have the same hardware as Macs, but not the same boot environment, so you need some special software before you can boot MacOS on a regular PC.

Reply 172 of 228, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

This looks more like newer hardware not fully supporting an old standard (USB 2.0) and making Windows 7 go nuts as it expects full support.

Reply 173 of 228, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

This just in: New standards emerge, old software doesn't support it.

More at 5.

How did Microsoft manage to retrospectively change their installation media to not support USB 2.0?

As per above responses, nothing has been "deliberately broken" or "disabled" or "locked out" or any conspiracy nonsense like that.

Intel implemented a new USB controller for their new chipset, and FINALLY deprecated BIOS/MBR booting as the default option, and Windows 7 doesn't support that.

Storm in a teacup.

Reply 174 of 228, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm running 3 Windows 10 installations now, including my work PC. My only complaint is that the "Windows key --> start typing to search" functionality, which I depend on 100% these days, doesn't find what I'm looking for as reliably as it did on Windows 7. Perhaps it'll improve over time as it gets to know me.

It's installed on ~75 million computers now apparently...

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 177 of 228, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am going to again test out windows 10 x86 on my old laptop (dell core solo from 06). It looks like at the moment it is finishing up installing (it says getting ready). I think I tried it before on said laptop but it was painfully slow. We'll see here pretty soon

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 178 of 228, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:

wccftech.com/windows-10-privacy/

Right, because if enough blogs link to that one questionable Czech based source (who of course does very little to back up its allegations) the it's gotta be true.

Sigh.

Reply 179 of 228, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I try to avoid UEFI installations like the plague. I have an Intel based motherboard and the XHCI implementation is cheesy. I had great issues trying to make my scanner work with USB ports.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)