Common searches

Home of the Underdogs is gone

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 29, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey the first constructive answer to my post! (; I still have to check how much of the info i've got in my little database. If i'm lucky, i may have all text reviews, ratings, etc. . I can't remember right now whether i have kept the original HTML pages, or not. I know of at least one other project to collect all HOTU data, so the chances of getting the data in some format are pretty good.

Reply 22 of 29, by TD-Linux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm willing to contact Sarinee after spotting this thread.
Here's what I have written up so far:

First of all, yes, you don't know me. I don't know you either. Don't bother replying if you've already gotten 1000x messages lik […]
Show full quote

First of all, yes, you don't know me. I don't know you either.
Don't bother replying if you've already gotten 1000x messages like this (I hope you haven't). I won't bother you anymore. I'm using facebook because that's the only way I know to contact you.

Anyway, I'll be quick to the point: a bunch of people want an archive copy of HotU so they can set up mirrors, and possibly start a new site containing all the old reviews and content. I am willing to help share this very large file by seeding a torrent. Also, that way, hopefully nothing can ever get lost again.

Why am I interested? Recently I became curious to see if I could find the MECC games I used to play in elementary school - and I found them! Sadly, as soon as I got a Macintosh computer to run them on, Macintosh Garden disappeared.

I also plan on adding a link to this thread. What do you think?

Reply 23 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't use a torrent as an archive.

Best bet right now would be to contact Jason Scott. As long as there are no abandonware files he probably wouldn't mine storing a copy:

http://ascii.textfiles.com/

(He archives pretty much everything he can get his hands on and a couple of weeks ago he started a new site just for archiving sites that go down abruptley)

Obviously putting everything on one site (even an archive site) isn't the best solution but he does this for free and it would be the best solution to store a copy in the short term until all of the data was extracted for a new site.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 25 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yikes, I've been behind the times. There is now official word on Sarinee's blog:
http://www.fringer.org/?p=416

The database has been put online elsewhere.

It's a mite odd how much enthusiasm there is for that content, considering a lot of it was cribbed from elsewhere - but then a lot of those other sites (RIP Gamesdomain.co.uk) are equally kaput.

Reply 26 of 29, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After cheking some news in the wikipedia:
- There is a project to get all the database online. In fact, you could download the database to play with it. Check this group in google groups.
- Some guy put online the main database with a minimal search tool.

Note that there are no downloads (but most of software can be downloaded somewhere), and the forums are still missing (and I'm afraid that all those info may be lost forever).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 28 of 29, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not exactly... it's more like "usethefuckinggoogle". A brief reminder for those that prefer to ask before googling.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 29 of 29, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Someone noted me, the database of HOTU (not the files, though) is back online at ----

Edit: Link removed because they announced to add downloads.

Klimawandel.