Single Player vs Multiplayer Games Trend

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VileRancour wrote:

I have nothing against the idea of multiplayer games - modem and internet matches against my friends playing Doom, Duke3D, Quake 2, Carmageddon etc have always been awesome. It wasn't the same thing as games that were meant to be experienced inside one player's head, but it was a fun social activity.

The problem is that the internet, more than ever, is an anti-social medium far more than it is social. It's the "massively" part of "massively multiplayer" that kills the whole fucking thing for me. It isn't any more social than the lives of people who communicate with their 4,507 facebook friends solely through status updates.

And when you combine that with the other major problem of most modern games (they look the same, sound the same, play the same, and looking at screenshots of top titles you can't even guess that they weren't all made by the exact same people)... ugh, KILL IT WITH FIRE.

If you can set up private servers and play with people by invite only, it isn't so bad because you can cherry pick who you want to play with and keep the morons out, but it's games where you don't have that option and are forced to play on public servers with whoever else happens to be online at the time that really sucks because there's very little policing of the servers most of the time. You can complain about cheaters and people who are just plain offensive until you're blue in the face and maybe one of the 50 or so idiots you've been reporting day after day for the last 6 months gets a week account suspension but then they're right back to doing the same crap as if nothing ever happened. The company running the servers doesn't care just as long as people keep paying. They never really crack down unless their server numbers decline noticeably and by then it's too late because the game has been ruined for a lot of people and they're not coming back. They need to deal with the cheaters and lowlifes immediately BEFORE they have a chance to ruin the game for the rest of us.

Reply 21 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did that a couple times. I just set it up with a password (server was non-dedicated btw). So far no intrusions. Btw, I was playing a modded SP so my guess would be they won't be able to use all the fun stuff I created anyway 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22 of 27, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When we talk about "best online experience" in a game, it generally comes down to how many enemies you take down or how long you can survive.

When people get bored with a particular multiplayer game, they move on to the next. The previous game will not be as fun, because your friends might not be playing it anymore, or there's a new environment to frag each other.

It gets lonely if no one wants to play.. 🙁

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 23 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Theres always new friends to make. I always end up with quite a freindslist, even though I barely even speak with the vast majority of them. It's more a "Hey, whatsup mate? 😉" list 😜

As long as a game has 1 fun and reasonably filled server, I find it fun to play 😀

AVP2 remained fun all the way till the master server got shut down

Report spammers here!

Reply 24 of 27, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't mind playing WOW but you really need a good bunch to play with else it's too bloody hard to level and shit

Reply 25 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

I wouldn't mind playing WOW but you really need a good bunch to play with else it's too bloody hard to level and shit

Definitely! Or find an awesome guild/clan to join, not one of those where the first 3 new members become auto-officers 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 26 of 27, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

MMORPG's can be even worse than FPS games because you inevitably end up with farmers monopolizing certain content because they can sell the loot for big real world money or high end guilds that deliberately block the progression of the lower guilds that are trying to come up behind them, also by monopolizing certain content so you can't the keys/flags needed to move on to higher level content or to keep you from gearing up. You also get your share of cheaters, especially on PvP servers, who use hacks to give their character abilities they shouldn't have or to duplicate items or game currency, or to bypass certain content altogether even though passing through that content is not supposed to be optional.

Reply 27 of 27, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I play very few multiplayer games. I play a lot of DotA, some Quake 3 now and then and Unreal Tournament and a bit Call Of Duty 2 or 4. But with the exception of DotA, I only play these with friends at LAN parties and net cafes. Occasionally I play some other game online, but generally I prefer playing in my desk's comfort, sitting at my big chair and enjoying singleplayer games 😁

I've tried playing singleplayer games with friends but it rarely is much fun. I've tried Adventure, Strategy, RPG, FPS it just gets boring for the one who watches and I'm quite impatient 😜