VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 52, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Are you able to run a modern browser on there?

The most recent version of Firefox that runs on it is 3.6.x, which has been adequate for 99% of the sites I frequent. I can shop on eBay without difficulty, use Google Maps and Facebook fine, and even watch YouTube videos, though its 1.33GHz G4 won't put out watchable frame rates above 360p.

This video is a few years old and the author may be a bit biased, but it offers a pretty good summary of what it's like to run a G4 iBook in today's world.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 23 of 52, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's for my old computers. What I really want to do is create a few oldschool (95-96ish) desktop themes about that series. Windows 7's theme functionality is still there in a very stripped form. I even had to export the stock Win95 scheme as a theme from Win95 and import it into Windows 7 to get proper window edges and highlights for that gray color.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 25 of 52, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We should start a collection of cheesy Win9x themes based on games. Store them on VOGONSdrivers...

For example here is C&C
http://www.cncnz.com/downloads/cnc/desktop/

Attachments

• Filename
    cctheme_update.jpg
    File size
    137.59 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 26 of 52, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
laxdragon wrote:
My current Desktop on Linux Mint 15. This is where I spend the majority of my computer time. […]
Show full quote

My current Desktop on Linux Mint 15. This is where I spend the majority of my computer time.

desktop-work-linux-20130806_zpsfc8cacb5.png

Debian? Are you using Gnome 2 or is it Gnome 3 modded?

Reply 27 of 52, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Or maybe it's Cinnamon or MATE?

swaaye wrote:

We should start a collection of cheesy Win9x themes based on games. Store them on VOGONSdrivers...

Lol agreed. One of the last places to even find classic 95-98 era desktop themes and screensavers is themeworld which hasn't updated in almost 10 years. The game-based ones are often better because their interface sounds and materials translate nicely to the Windows desktop in most cases. Movie/show/celeb-based themes tend to be the crap ones (but are sitll a guilty pleasure in their own right 😀 )

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 28 of 52, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rfnagel wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

For people out in the sticks it is.

@rfnagle: Weren't you stuck with dialup up until recently, or am I confusing you for someone else?

Hehe, we FINALLY got broadband out here in the sticks back in 2001 😀

We first got broadband in 2005.

Reply 29 of 52, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
m1so wrote:
rfnagel wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

For people out in the sticks it is.

@rfnagle: Weren't you stuck with dialup up until recently, or am I confusing you for someone else?

Hehe, we FINALLY got broadband out here in the sticks back in 2001 😀

We first got broadband in 2005.

I just realized that I typed a typo 🤣! The CORRECT year should have read 2011 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 30 of 52, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Private_Ops wrote:
laxdragon wrote:

My current Desktop on Linux Mint 15. This is where I spend the majority of my computer time.

It is Linux Mint 15 (MATE Edition). That uses a fork of Gnome 2 that has been updated to use updated APIs and remove some old dependencies. I prefer it since it is FAST and still looks great.

I've customized my toolbar a bit, and enabled the composition manager in MATE. It has its own, so it does not need Compiz.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 31 of 52, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Lol agreed. One of the last places to even find classic 95-98 era desktop themes and screensavers is themeworld which hasn't updated in almost 10 years.

Thanks for the link. That site is great.

Sometimes themes came on the game's CDROM. I will go looking through my stash sometime. But maybe this site has most of them anyway.

Reply 32 of 52, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
laxdragon wrote:
Private_Ops wrote:
laxdragon wrote:

It is Linux Mint 15 (MATE Edition). That uses a fork of Gnome 2 that has been updated to use updated APIs and remove some old dependencies. I prefer it since it is FAST and still looks great.

I've customized my toolbar a bit, and enabled the composition manager in MATE. It has its own, so it does not need Compiz.

Ah, there's a distro based off of Debian that uses MATE for its DE. It's called Point Linux. I've tried it, went to install the graphics drivers and it hosed the installation..

Reply 34 of 52, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Didn't want to post my screenshot in the beginning, since it's very basic and bland. But then, anyway, here's my main PC's Desktop :

9485119257_030988ece4_b.jpg

If I have time, I'll post my Kubuntu desktop which is also installed in this PC.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 36 of 52, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Thanks for the link. That site is great.

It's the only old one I know that doesn't do fishy shit like send you a exe installer for every download like some other theme sites do. 🙁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 37 of 52, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those Win95 themes are the best! They're extremely customizable. I still remember the Diablo theme I used when Diablo first appeared. Those Gothic fonts were awesome. I also used to use the Mechwarrior 2 themes and Monkey Island 3 theme a lot those days.

One of the nice things is that these theme packs come with different variations : Different Icon sets, different wallpapers and different sound events under each main theme.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 38 of 52, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess customizing windows has gone out of fashion somewhat. Around '99 I made a neat "active desktop" that looked and worked just like a text mode menu (I still have the .html!), and now my win7 desktop looks exactly like leilei's.
Can't keep things completely vanilla though... on my XP system all the default system sounds are now SID bleeps and bloops.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 39 of 52, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I mostly have the blank desktop because it is a production computer where I want my UI looking as rawly familiar as possible as i focus on art hobbies. It's also okay for programming (in VC6 anyway)

apsosig.png
long live PCem