My mother died last week

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 36, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

I would however leave religion out of it. IMO you are proselytizing very aggressively.

I'm not quite following where you're seeing this proselytism in Kreshna's posts? He just appears to be paying his due respects to his departed mother, in my eyes.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 21 of 36, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

I'm not quite following where you're seeing this proselytism in Kreshna's posts? He just appears to be paying his due respects to his departed mother, in my eyes.

Agreed; nowhere in any of Kreshna's posts (here, or elsewhere) has he ever "proselytized very aggressively" that I've seen.

Reply 22 of 36, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:
PeterLI wrote:

I would however leave religion out of it. IMO you are proselytizing very aggressively.

obobskivich wrote:

Agreed; nowhere in any of Kreshna's posts (here, or elsewhere) has he ever "proselytized very aggressively" that I've seen.

Thank you, buddies.

I'd rather not refuting Li's argument though. In the past I'd be more aggressive. In fact, I used to enjoy crossing swords on the forum. Not this time, though.

Nonetheles, thanks again.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 23 of 36, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Irrespective of what you believe, your mother lived an extraordinary life and the world is a poorer place without her. My thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 24 of 36, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Evert wrote:

Well, I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Irrespective of what you believe, your mother lived an extraordinary life and the world is a poorer place without her. My thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time.

Thank you.

I remember... my mother was not an audiophile by any means. She loved classical music, especially Mozart and Strauss, so I once offered to build single-driver open baffle speakers for her room, because such speakers are good for classical music. Well she rejected, preferring to stick with the old Aiwa mini component system once belonged to my dad (he had died in 2006). She said, "your dad left me this gear, so I'm sticking with it".

She also loved Louis Armstrong's songs, particularly Tin Roof Blues. Oh, and Astrud Gilberto, and Percy Sledge. She never liked Detroit Soul too much, preferring the mellower Southern Soul.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 26 of 36, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Kreshna, my sincere condolences.

PeterLI wrote:

Including a lot of religion in an emotional topic with hyperlinks to a religion is a very strong subvert proselytization method.

I'm sorry but im getting sick of atheists and their effing double standards polluting via control methods, every aspect about peoples lives. Religion is not just opinion for some cultures but literally a way of life. "Oh you mentioned religion, im offended!" well guess what, believers get just as offended by being censored and controlled to be like mindless robots not being able to think for themselves. It's a human civil right to believe in what the hell ever they want. Besides that belief in a higher power that atheists supposedly don't even belief in is NOTHING at all to be offended about, after all other people gods don't exist right? Theres much more important things in life to be offended about than worrying about what someone else believes in that you clearly effing don't!

Besides that I don't see any hyperlinks to religion topics at all in this thread.

Peace.

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 27 of 36, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is not about atheism. I am not an atheist. It is about keeping politics and religions away from a neutral forum. If you want to talk about religion: visit a religion forum.

Hyperlink examples:

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
... [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadaqah]sadaqah[/url... [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Allah]Allah[/url... [url=htt […]
Show full quote

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadaqah]sadaqah[/url...
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Allah]Allah[/url...
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zakat]zakat[/url...

Reply 28 of 36, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember... my mother was not an audiophile by any means. She loved classical music, especially Mozart and Strauss, so I once offered to build single-driver open baffle speakers for her room, because such speakers are good for classical music. Well she rejected, preferring to stick with the old Aiwa mini component system once belonged to my dad (he had died in 2006). She said, "your dad left me this gear, so I'm sticking with it".

She also loved Louis Armstrong's songs, particularly Tin Roof Blues. Oh, and Astrud Gilberto, and Percy Sledge. She never liked Detroit Soul too much, preferring the mellower Southern Soul.

Your mom sounds like she had good taste in music! 😎 Having never met her, I feel like you've done a great job relaying who she was through vignettes like these, and I have to agree with Evert - the world is poorer without her. I think it's fantastic that she had someone to remember her so fondly as well. 😀

Reply 29 of 36, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@PeterLI
If there ever was a thread in which the OP could post whatever thoughts, sentiments, and links they like, then this is it. Drop it already.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 31 of 36, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think Kreshna's hyperlinks qualify as proselytism, they're wikipedia articles. I've often hyperlinked words to relevant articles to explain what the word means.

But anyways, again. I wish the best of you Kreshna, your mother had quite a well lived life it seems. Really amazing story you've told here.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 32 of 36, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

It is not about atheism. I am not an atheist. It is about keeping politics and religions away from a neutral forum. If you want to talk about religion: visit a religion forum.

For someone who joined this forum merely two years ago, you have a lot of presumptions. In other times, I would flame you like I did those who bothered me, but not this time. This time, I wouldn't participating in turning the memory of my mother into flame war.

PeterLI wrote:

BTW: the Dutch did not invade. We suppressed an uprising.

You have problem with my mother's religion, that's your own problem. You have huge problem with my country declaring independence from your country, that's your own problem. You have problem with certain religious words like 'Allah', 'zakat', and 'sadaqah', which, by the way, are integral part of the memories of my mother, then it's your own goddamn problem. WolverineDK is an agnostic, and he has no problem with my religious belief, just like I have absolutely no problem with his religious belief (or the lack thereof). And if he mentioned the memories of his deceased loved one, alongside with atheist-related things that are integral part of the deceased, I absolutely have no problem with that. Anyone could leave nice memories whatever her/his religious belief (or the lack thereof) is, and if such memories happen to coincide with her/his belief (or the lack thereof), then it is not evangelizing; it's simply part of the memories.

I also mentioned Louis Armstrong as a part of my mother's memory; does it mean I evangelize 1950's jazz? I also mentioned her doctoral study; does it mean I evangelize doctoral studies? Are you kidding me or what?

This is my very last reply to whatever you post on this thread, because like I said, I'm not going to change the sweet memories of my mother into flame war. Besides, others have addressed it spot-on, like Draconihil and badmojo.

DracoNihil wrote:

I don't think Kreshna's hyperlinks qualify as proselytism, they're wikipedia articles. I've often hyperlinked words to relevant articles to explain what the word means.

badmojo wrote:

@PeterLI
If there ever was a thread in which the OP could post whatever thoughts, sentiments, and links they like, then this is it. Drop it already.

So, from now on, Li, you're on my ignore list. You are free to try turning this thread into flame war, but such war won't happen if I just ignore you -and that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Reply 33 of 36, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Evert wrote:

ratfink wrote:

Sorry to hear about your loss Kreshna, my condolences.

Chaniyth wrote:

Kreshna, my sincere condolences.

obobskivich wrote:

Your mom sounds like she had good taste in music! 😎 Having never met her, I feel like you've done a great job relaying who she was through vignettes like these, and I have to agree with Evert - the world is poorer without her. I think it's fantastic that she had someone to remember her so fondly as well. 😀

Many thanks, buddies. 😀

obobskivich, I still remember a funny thing with my mother. Once I have lightened-up conversation with one of our employees who likes Kenny G. so much, then I told her, "Kenny G. is not jazz; true jazz is Herbie Hancock." Then tomorrow I told my mother about it during lunch, then she told me, "Herbie Hancok is not jazz; true jazz is Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald."

Mom = 1, me = 0. 🤣

She also really loved the song It Ain't Necessarily So by Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald -well, she loved Porgy and Bess. Then I told her that the song sounds very much like a James Bond theme song. Then she said, "no, this song came before James Bond; it was James Bond theme songs that imitate this song!"

And she actually hated James Bond theme songs. Well, such thing often makes me smile. 😀

Reply 34 of 36, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich, I still remember a funny thing with my mother. Once I have lightened-up conversation with one of our employees who […]
Show full quote

obobskivich, I still remember a funny thing with my mother. Once I have lightened-up conversation with one of our employees who likes Kenny G. so much, then I told her, "Kenny G. is not jazz; true jazz is Herbie Hancock." Then tomorrow I told my mother about it during lunch, then she told me, "Herbie Hancok is not jazz; true jazz is Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald."

Mom = 1, me = 0. 🤣

She also really loved the song It Ain't Necessarily So by Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald -well, she loved Porgy and Bess. Then I told her that the song sounds very much like a James Bond theme song. Then she said, "no, this song came before James Bond; it was James Bond theme songs that imitate this song!"

And she actually hated James Bond theme songs. Well, such thing often makes me smile. 😀

🤣 🤣

Music/movie geek notes: "All The Time In The World" was performed by Louis Armstrong, and featured in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, but the original John Barry track (title credits from Dr No and present in most other movies) is certainly not jazz. 🤣 The Louis Armstrong/Ella Fitzgerald track you linked to reminds me of Tom Jones' "Thunderball" though. Your mom is absolutely right about that song pre-dating Bond - by something like 30 years.

I'd consider all of this far and away from Kenny G... 🤣

Reply 36 of 36, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:

My deepest condolences Kreshna.

Thank you, Carlos.

Anyway, when it goes to Strauss, my mom's most favorite wasn't Blue Danube, but this song instead.

She could dance waltz; she even tried to taught me once, about a year after dad died. Unfortunately, I'm too much clumsy for waltz. 🙁