Common searches

Recommend me a Doom wad

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look at how much stuff is based on zdoom or gzdoom SVN builds, then look up how much stuff is based on Doomsday and Risen 3D.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 21 of 23, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Doomsday is quite nice, and it does have regular updates. It looks very nice, has some nice model packs, and full support of all DOOM/Heretic/Hexen versions. It has a comfortable GUI and front-end as well. I like it a lot.

One thing that Doomsday does not have is Boom-compatibility. Fortunately, there is Risen3D, a similar-looking fork of Doomsday, which went down its own path and among other things has Boom support. And I like its 3D models a better too.

I dislike Zdoom and clones, for what seems to me as an attempt to just cram every single feature from every single Doom port and Doom clone into the code, and top it up with every single idea that someone ever had. It just seems like a convoluted mess to me (kind of like the Dosbox Daum build), with no consistent purpose. I'd rather stay away.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 22 of 23, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Plutonia 2: beautifully designed, atmospheric and truthful to the original (even in challenge, this thing can wear you out)

spooky01: something fun to try while going in the exact opposite direction.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 23 of 23, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

prefer GZDoom or ZDoom with voxel packs for sprite things, or just vanilla. None of the texture filtering or any of that crap. It just ruins doom imo... Also check Romero's new map it's quite nice. I've been having fun playing the Way Id Did wads too.