VOGONS

Fur Elise

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love how an offhand remark led to a discussion of text characters.

Reply 21 of 27, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote on 2023-09-28, 21:35:

This isn't a German forum, so no need to worry about umlauts.

Those who care about it understand quite well what you've meant in the title 😉

I aspire to learn German. And a handful of other languages. I try to be accurate in my typing tegardless 😉 << a genuine typo, I let it be. When I found out e-mail had a hyphen in it, probably over 20 years ago, I made a point of typing it that way. Obviously the term gets used a lot. I probably hphenated better then 99% of the time. Or at least 92%.

If I knew how to add the umlaut I would have.

Wasn't Slovenia part of the old Yugoslavia?

Reply 22 of 27, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
akula65 wrote on 2023-09-28, 20:55:

It used to be common practice on typesetting systems that did not have umlaut vowels to use the un-umlauted vowel + 'e' as a substitute. So, as an example, Geiger–Müller would be written as Geiger–Mueller. So if you can't find the umlauts, there is an easy out.

It's getting late for me and syllables are hard to differentiate. But we do have Mueller and Muller? named people over here. The temdemcy is to want to say Mueller like Mooler or Mweller. I may have had an instructor who spelled his name Mueller but called himself Muller. So umlauts and strategically placed e's just may serve to confuse us yanks. The thought seems kind though.

Reply 23 of 27, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kant explain wrote on 2023-09-29, 00:29:
I aspire to learn German. And a handful of other languages. I try to be accurate in my typing tegardless ;) << a genuine typo, I […]
Show full quote
kixs wrote on 2023-09-28, 21:35:

This isn't a German forum, so no need to worry about umlauts.

Those who care about it understand quite well what you've meant in the title 😉

I aspire to learn German. And a handful of other languages. I try to be accurate in my typing tegardless 😉 << a genuine typo, I let it be. When I found out e-mail had a hyphen in it, probably over 20 years ago, I made a point of typing it that way. Obviously the term gets used a lot. I probably hphenated better then 99% of the time. Or at least 92%.

If I knew how to add the umlaut I would have.

Wasn't Slovenia part of the old Yugoslavia?

I agree... when possible use the correct spelling.

Yes, Slovenia was a part of it. Now we are again in a happy family called EU 🤣

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 24 of 27, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My mommy was from Hrvatska.

Reply 25 of 27, by Kalle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can also use ALT+ANSI code, e.g. ALT+129 (on the numpad) to create the ü.
Also, in German you can substitute the umlauts this way: ä -> ae, ö -> oe, ü -> ue. Thus, you can spell it "Fuer Elise" and still be correct.

Last edited by Kalle on 2023-09-29, 15:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26 of 27, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kant explain wrote on 2023-09-29, 14:23:

My mommy was from Hrvatska.

That's like 20km from where I'm 😉 But it depends from what part of Croatia was she.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 27 of 27, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Only 20km? You must mean the border. She was born about an hour south of Rijeka. On the western shore near an island called Rab. Drop dead gorgeous over there. I really have to go back. Too hot in the summer though. You don't feel like doing much. Except swimming. And you can' t do too much of that as the water is pretty cold. Not that it's uncomfortable for someone like me (very tall and fat). Both me and my 14 year old cousin (also very tall but no fat) got "sick" and had to stay out of the water for 2 or 3 days. Let's just say your privates get achey.