VOGONS

Common searches

Computing pet-peeves

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 127, by kao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PS2 has the advantage over USB in that it's interrupt-driven, thus you cannot lose keystrokes. On the other hand, it doesn't support light-up keyboards.

As for my personal pet peeve, it's people who can't remember or be bothered to clean their browser cache. Akin to not wiping off a chalkboard when you're done using it.

Reply 41 of 127, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RoyBatty wrote:

People with older processors/video cards that think 20-30 FPS with low to medium settings is good for gaming. 😉

I think 30fps is perfectly acceptable for gaming (would prefer not to go below that though). A modern PC game with low/medium detail settings is still going to look better than it's console counterparts 😉

Reply 42 of 127, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
GXL750 wrote:

Why hasn't the VGA port died yet, why are there so many different display connectors and why does my phone have better pixel density than most new laptops?

It practically has. You really only see it on low end video cards, motherboards and laptops, I'm guessing because the royalty to use it is cheaper. Even DVI is starting to go away now. DisplayPort and HDMI are pushing all the older interfaces aside.

The reason your phone has better pixel density is because it is easier to make a high density small screen without a lot of dead pixels than it is to make a larger one of the same density without a lot of dead pixels. That is one of the reasons why 30" LCD's are so expensive. They don't get as good a yield on the screens as they get with smaller screens because of the dead pixel issue. When you pay thousands of dollars for a monitor, you don't want to see a single dead or malfunctioning pixel anywhere on it. Manufacturers usually consider 2 or 3 dead pixels on a cheaper monitor to be acceptable but not their flagship products. They are trying to cater to a different type of consumer with those and those people are usually much more demanding than the average consumer so dead pixels simply aren't acceptable. I can only imagine the number of screens that fail quality control and get trashed so as not to sully the reputation of the manufacturer.

DVI LOW bandwidth? I guess you must be talking about hdmi

Reply 43 of 127, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PowerPie5000 wrote:

I think 30fps is perfectly acceptable for gaming (would prefer not to go below that though). A modern PC game with low/medium detail settings is still going to look better than it's console counterparts 😉

*shudder*

At least a constant 60fps is what I' after.

Now what is real bummer: Modern LCDs still haven't caught up with the good old CRTs in terms of black levels, input lag, (lack of) ghosting and viewing angles, all in one package. Can't wait for OLED.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 44 of 127, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mau, I agree totally. 60fps is the base level for real response, much less is not too good. Fooling the eye is not the point, it's response at the joystick/wheel etc that counts, and that takes more than 30fps... Anyone that has played Grand Prix Legends above 60 fps knows what I'm talking about...

Reply 45 of 127, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Now what is real bummer: Modern LCDs still haven't caught up with the good old CRTs in terms of black levels, input lag, (lack of) ghosting and viewing angles, all in one package.

You speak wisely, yet you neglect to mention the biggest two losses of them all: variable resolutions and a wide range of refresh rates!

Also, as far as video captures are concerned, all the Youtube-worship in this thread is a bit disconcerting. That thing only goes up to 30 FPS, FFS.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 46 of 127, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RoyBatty wrote:

People with older processors/video cards that think 20-30 FPS with low to medium settings is good for gaming. 😉

From my experience, 20-30 FPS is actually pretty playable for most games, as long as there's little to no stuttering. I'd rather have a game running at a smooth 20fps than a stuttery 60fps.

Reply 47 of 127, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
RoyBatty wrote:

From my experience, 20-30 FPS is actually pretty playable for most games, as long as there's little to no stuttering. I'd rather have a game running at a smooth 20fps than a stuttery 60fps.

I'm pretty sure most Xbox 360 and PS3 games run at 30fps and they still remain playable. Ideally you would want 60+FPS for fast paced games.

Reply 48 of 127, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Now what is real bummer: Modern LCDs still haven't caught up with the good old CRTs in terms of black levels, input lag, (lack of) ghosting and viewing angles, all in one package. Can't wait for OLED.

Good IPS panels have wide viewing angles, deep blacks and accurate colours... Some do suffer from a bit of 'IPS glow' when viewed at certin angles though.

Reply 49 of 127, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PowerPie5000 wrote:

Good IPS panels have wide viewing angles, deep blacks and accurate colours... Some do suffer from a bit of 'IPS glow' when viewed at certin angles though.

Yes but they are very slow, input lag and ghost 🙁

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 51 of 127, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PowerPie5000 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
RoyBatty wrote:

I'm pretty sure most Xbox 360 and PS3 games run at 30fps and they still remain playable. Ideally you would want 60+FPS for fast paced games.

For some games frame rate isn't important, like puzzle games or board games, but for the types of games the typical XBox 360 or PS3 buyer plays FPS is of major importance. For multi-player first person shooters, for example. A split second of lag because your hardware can't keep up with what you are trying to do can mean the difference between success and failure. 30 FPS simply isn't good enough for those types of games.

The consoles are also old now. They are stuck at the end of the DX9 generation so the image quality isn't anywhere near what you can get on a modern PC and neither are the framerates. You can't compare a Radeon X1900 (Xbox 360) or GeForce 7800 (PS3) to a HD7970 or GTX680 for framerates even if you turn all the settings down to the minimum for the slower cards.

Reply 52 of 127, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:

Yes but they are very slow, input lag and ghost 🙁

I don't notice any input lag at all with my IPS monitor, but there is very slight ghostiing if you look closely with fast games, but most people wouldn't notice it. Respone times are improving all the time and you can even get TN panels rated at 1ms or 2ms with no ghosting (fine for gaming, but the colour and viewing angles are not as good as IPS screens).

Reply 53 of 127, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:

I've learned the hard way that IPS Panels max out at 60Hz. 😢

Not all of thema as some have been known to go beyond 120hz (from a Korean brand called Catleap).

Reply 54 of 127, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

For some games frame rate isn't important, like puzzle games or board games, but for the types of games the typical XBox 360 or PS3 buyer plays FPS is of major importance. For multi-player first person shooters, for example. A split second of lag because your hardware can't keep up with what you are trying to do can mean the difference between success and failure. 30 FPS simply isn't good enough for those types of games.

The consoles are also old now. They are stuck at the end of the DX9 generation so the image quality isn't anywhere near what you can get on a modern PC and neither are the framerates. You can't compare a Radeon X1900 (Xbox 360) or GeForce 7800 (PS3) to a HD7970 or GTX680 for framerates even if you turn all the settings down to the minimum for the slower cards.

Xbox is not quite an X1900 as it uses unified shaders (which the 1900 doesn't. I'd say using a wireless controller and an LCD TV is probably more of a hinderance in FPS games than the framerate... Think of the input lag and the fact that thumbsticks are not as fast or accurate as using a mouse 😉

Reply 55 of 127, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I remember a few years ago back when I had a sizable LAN in my basement, sometimes over our school lunch break a few of my friends and I would head over my place and play Quake III. Nearly every time I would use a Pentium II box while they were all using Pentium IIIs and the one Pentium 4 box I had, and I would still own them. 🤣 Of course, we were playing very casually, and none of us knew how to trickjump. 😜

Reply 56 of 127, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PowerPie5000 wrote:
sliderider wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:

Xbox is not quite an X1900 as it uses unified shaders (which the 1900 doesn't. I'd say using a wireless controller and an LCD TV is probably more of a hinderance in FPS games than the framerate... Think of the input lag and the fact that thumbsticks are not as fast or accurate as using a mouse 😉

It's sort of a hybrid that would fall somewhere betweeen R520 and R600 in features, but closer to R520 in terms of speed.

And I do not know why people keep saying keyboard and mouse are better than a game controller because I never have any problems using a controller, but almost always have problems with keyboard and mouse mainly due to the fact that I don't always remember what keys I mapped different things to so I end up pressing the wrong key a lot. With a game controller it is easier to remember where everything is and all the buttons are at my fingertips. I don't have to waste time trying to remember where the thing I need is or looking for the button. It becomes instinctive after a while with a controller.

Reply 57 of 127, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PowerPie5000 wrote:
5u3 wrote:

Not all of thema as some have been known to go beyond 120hz (from a Korean brand called Catleap).

Thanks, but this is not really what I was looking for. (I need analog VGA inputs, 4:3 aspect ratio, nice interpolation, and I doubt the Catleap displays can do anything like that) 😉

Reply 59 of 127, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:
5u3 wrote:

Thanks, but this is not really what I was looking for. (I need analog VGA inputs, 4:3 aspect ratio, nice interpolation, and I doubt the Catleap displays can do anything like that) 😉

I'm going to assume this is for an old PC? Best stick to a CRT as any native 4:3 LCD screen is going to be old with a high response time (lots of ghosting/streaking). You can still have 4:3 aspect with a 16:9 or 16:10 screen, but it will have black bars on each side.