Topic actions

Reply 40 of 138, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rfnagel wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

Great! I've searched for that game on there earlier but was unable find it, and I didn't bother to add it. I never played this very often anyway, but this is certainly a good reason to start doing so 😀 I just added two scores on the Duke Nukem table, on Novice and Regular.

And you more than DOUBLED my score for the Duke Nukem pinball table <AARRGGHH> 🤣! 😀 Man, I remember when I got the score a while back that I posted for that table... I "played my ass off", I don't think I could get any higher 🤣!

That... was a bit of an accident 🤣
Right after I posted my existing high scores (there weren't that many, I played this maybe only once or twice before on this system) I just started playing and got this score on the first run.

1019757.jpg

Besides, I was just wondering... I have my monitor set to 160Hz, but does this game actually draw at 160fps? Movement does seem super smooth. How would I check that? Not that it really matters anyway.. but it's just nice to know 😀

And.. some more Epic Pinball speed glitches for your enjoyment 😀
http://imageshack.us/a/img850/7162/img4033x.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img580/5599/img4031xe.jpg

Reply 41 of 138, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rfnagel wrote:
You know, I SWEAR... I SUCK at SOOOOOOO may games. […]
Show full quote
WolverineDK wrote:

It seems to me, I am not the only who collected cheats and what not many years ago, and I suffered from being shitty at games. Cause I was constantly "hunting" for cheats and codes and so forth back in 1990s. And I though I was "helping" people with knowing and finding cheat codes and so forth for the games. Oh well I learned my lesson, but I still had fun 😀

You know, I SWEAR... I SUCK at SOOOOOOO may games.

Why?

Because when I get a new game I spend MORE freakin' time trying to figure out every little "tidbit" and "niblet" of the game, than ACTUALLY PLAYING IT 🤣!

(EDIT) gawd knows I spend MORE TIME using the utility in the attached screenshot than I usually do playing the games 🤣!

I used to cheat in about every game as well, when I was younger. I suppose once you get a bit older (not that I'm old or anything 🤣) you'll realize that games are much more fun if you're actually good at it. Maybe no-brainer games offering zero challenge becoming the norm has something to do with it.

Reply 42 of 138, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

rfnagel and jwt27, I believe also why I cheated so much in games. Was because I am a tinkerer of stuff. And me cheating in those games were basically because I was exploring the possibilities 😀 So cheating is perhaps the start to exploring/tinkering ? 😀

Reply 43 of 138, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:

That... was a bit of an accident 🤣. Right after I posted my existing high scores (there weren't that many, I played this maybe only once or twice before on this system) I just started playing and got this score on the first run.

Man... that's pretty impressive! 😀

jwt27 wrote:

Besides, I was just wondering... I have my monitor set to 160Hz, but does this game actually draw at 160fps? Movement does seem super smooth. How would I check that? Not that it really matters anyway.. but it's just nice to know 😀

Unfortunately, I don't think that there are any framerate counters built into any of these games (via cheat code, etc...).

jwt27 wrote:

I used to cheat in about every game as well, when I was younger. I suppose once you get a bit older (not that I'm old or anything 🤣) you'll realize that games are much more fun if you're actually good at it. Maybe no-brainer games offering zero challenge becoming the norm has something to do with it.

To tell the truth, I don't cheat in the games when I'm playing "normally". I usually try out all of the cheat codes that I can find (or discover on my own), simply to see what they do. But, if I'm "really playing", I never cheat.

Hehe, I even backup ALL of my various games' validly-played high score files... so's I don't screw them up when I'm experimenting with cheats and such 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 44 of 138, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote:

rfnagel and jwt27, I believe also why I cheated so much in games. Was because I am a tinkerer of stuff. And me cheating in those games were basically because I was exploring the possibilities 😀 So cheating is perhaps the start to exploring/tinkering ? 😀

THAT is exactly why I do the same... twiddling around to see what I can discover about the games, and learning their inner-workings and mechanics 😀

Sort of on-topic... Hehe, here's a little tidbit for y'all:

For Epic Pinball, go to a DOSBox prompt.

Then, type "ORDER.EXE PIN01.TFP <ENTER>", "ORDER.EXE PIN02.TFP" <ENTER>, "ORDER.EXE PIN03.TFP" <ENTER>, etc.. <grin> 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 45 of 138, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rfnagel wrote:

Sort of on-topic... Hehe, here's a little tidbit for y'all:

For Epic Pinball, go to a DOSBox prompt.

Then, type "ORDER.EXE PIN01.TFP <ENTER>", "ORDER.EXE PIN02.TFP" <ENTER>, "ORDER.EXE PIN03.TFP" <ENTER>, etc.. <grin> 😀

🤣 I think I do know the rules 😉

Reply 46 of 138, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hehe, the reason that I remembered that one (i.e. "Adventures with a hex editor" <grin>):

Back in the day, I was quite impressed with those "TFP" documents... they supported bookmarked hyperlinking, pretty pictures, and various animated text effects.

I thought to myself that I could make some neat "presentations" using whatever it was that was used to create those "TFP" files, so I called Epic MegaGames and asked what they used. They said that they really didn't remember, as a third-party had created those documents.

Loading "ORDER.EXE" in a hex editor/viewer reveals this at the bottom of the file:

PROGRAM BY STEVE FOSTER (209)533-4814!!!

...so I called that phone number 🤣!

Low and behold, Steve answered the phone, and we had a little discussion about those "TFP" documents.

Seems that *HE* was the one who had created and developed this format, and had even created an editor to create new ones from scratch.

He had licensed his editor to Epic MegaGames back when they used it to create their very *FIRST* "ORDER.TFP" catalog file... you know, how Epic MegaGames always used to use those older ANSI graphics for their "CATALOG.EXE" files? They wanted something nicer and fancier looking.

Well, as it turns out, his license to Epic MegaGames was ONLY for use with their FIRST "TFP" catalog file, and NOT for creating all of the in-game help and catalog files that Epic MegaGames was using for most all of their games of the time (including "One Must Fall: 2097").

He had NO idea that Epic MegaGames was using his proprietary editor and document format for all of their games! Heh, and the software *COMPANIES* are concerned about "pirating" 🤣?

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 47 of 138, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rfnagel wrote:

Heh, and the software *COMPANIES* are concerned about "pirating" 🤣?

Off-topic, but along those same lines...

On a Windows XP installation, this directory:

WINDOWS\Help\Tours\WindowsMediaPlayer\Audio\Wav

...these files:

wmpaud1.wav
wmpaud2.wav
wmpaud3.wav
wmpaud4.wav
wmpaud5.wav
wmpaud6.wav
wmpaud7.wav
wmpaud8.wav
wmpaud9.wav

A looksie in a hex editor reveals these WAV comment chunks at the end of the files:

INFOICRD 2000-04-06
IENG Deepz0ne
ISFT Sound Forge 4.5

YES, Mickey$oft was using the PIRATED "Deepz0ne" release of Sound Forge v4.5 to create those music WAVs with (Google it) 🤣!

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 48 of 138, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

rfnagel: The music on your site is beautiful, and in some ways. I think it would be splendid if you had a cooperation with Star Salzman ( http://www.starblast.org/ ), you both could benefit from it. But thank goodness I am not interested in politics. Cause then I could give you a run for your money in debating for or against the current problems in both my country and yours.

Reply 49 of 138, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote:

rfnagel: The music on your site is beautiful

MANY THANKS, I'm glad you enjoyed the music! 😀

As you can probably tell, I like a lot of genres of music, but for my composing I usually favor "blockbuster movie" type of soundtracks, as well as pretty melodies 😀

Some of the stuff is simply just me "playing around" though (such as the "Astrosmash" tunes <grin>).

That being said, that isn't even 10% of my music... there is a LOT of stuff that I either haven't recorded to MP3s, or haven't got off of my butt and uploaded.

WolverineDK wrote:

and in some ways. I think it would be splendid if you had a cooperation with Star Salzman ( http://www.starblast.org/ ), you both could benefit from it.

Thanks for the link, I'll check out his site ASAP 😀

WolverineDK wrote:

But thank goodness I am not interested in politics. Cause then I could give you a run for your money in debating for or against the current problems in both my country and yours.

Hehe, anyone who know me knows that I SPEAK MY MIND 🤣! Hehe, and you probably wouldn't want to "friend" me on FaceBook as well 🤣! 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 50 of 138, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rfnagel wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

That... was a bit of an accident 🤣. Right after I posted my existing high scores (there weren't that many, I played this maybe only once or twice before on this system) I just started playing and got this score on the first run.

Man... that's pretty impressive! 😀

Aaand... I already beat it. Just by a little bit, though.

rfnagel wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't think that there are any framerate counters built into any of these games (via cheat code, etc...).

I already found out.. I took some pictures of the screen at varying shutter speeds (multiples of 1/160s). At 1/80 I see two frames, 1/40 shows 4 frames, 1/25 shows 6, etc.. So yes, it IS drawing at 160fps 😀

rfnagel wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

To tell the truth, I don't cheat in the games when I'm playing "normally". I usually try out all of the cheat codes that I can find (or discover on my own), simply to see what they do. But, if I'm "really playing", I never cheat.

Hehe, I even backup ALL of my various games' validly-played high score files... so's I don't screw them up when I'm experimenting with cheats and such 😀

I just have Epic Pinball installed twice, one to try out the cheats and one with the real scores.

rfnagel wrote:
Off-topic, but along those same lines... […]
Show full quote
rfnagel wrote:

Heh, and the software *COMPANIES* are concerned about "pirating" 🤣?

Off-topic, but along those same lines...

On a Windows XP installation, this directory:

WINDOWS\Help\Tours\WindowsMediaPlayer\Audio\Wav

...these files:

wmpaud1.wav
wmpaud2.wav
wmpaud3.wav
wmpaud4.wav
wmpaud5.wav
wmpaud6.wav
wmpaud7.wav
wmpaud8.wav
wmpaud9.wav

A looksie in a hex editor reveals these WAV comment chunks at the end of the files:

INFOICRD 2000-04-06
IENG Deepz0ne
ISFT Sound Forge 4.5

YES, Mickey$oft was using the PIRATED "Deepz0ne" release of Sound Forge v4.5 to create those music WAVs with (Google it) 🤣!

Wow! Who would have thought... 🤣

Oh and something else...
I hope IBM fired the guy who decided the shift keys on the Model M did not need stabilizing bars. 😒

Reply 51 of 138, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:

Man, I swear, I don't know how you get those crazy high scores 🤣! I'm thinking that it must be something that I'm doing wrong... NOT fully understanding the table rules and such (which can make a HUGE difference in one's final scores).

jwt27 wrote:

I already found out.. I took some pictures of the screen at varying shutter speeds (multiples of 1/160s). At 1/80 I see two frames, 1/40 shows 4 frames, 1/25 shows 6, etc.. So yes, it IS drawing at 160fps 😀

Hey, that's a GREAT idea! 😀 I never thought of that before, but one thing I did remember... a buddy of mine used to FRAPS some of our Counter-Strike games, and he said that FRAPS would display what the actual framerate of the game was (although, the Half-Life GoldSource engine DOES already have a console command to display one's framerate).

jwt27 wrote:

I just have Epic Pinball installed twice, one to try out the cheats and one with the real scores.

Hey, this might be simpler for you... simply back up your "CONFIG.PIN" and "HISCORE.PIN" files 😀

jwt27 wrote:

Hehe, yeah really, who would have thought... this from a company who sics their trademark lawyers like rapid dogs on most ANYONE who farts the wrong way!

jwt27 wrote:

Oh and something else... I hope IBM fired the guy who decided the shift keys on the Model M did not need stabilizing bars. 😒

Man... If I had a keyboard that didn't have those bars on the shift keys (or the spacebar and enter keys as well), mine would have fell off a LONG time ago 🤣!

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 52 of 138, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rfnagel wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

Man, I swear, I don't know how you get those crazy high scores 🤣! I'm thinking that it must be something that I'm doing wrong... NOT fully understanding the table rules and such (which can make a HUGE difference in one's final scores).

I don't really pay attention to the rules, just try keep the ball in game as long as possible and the score will go up eventually 😀
Once you start playing more often, you'll automatically start aiming as well. At least that's what I do. You just remember "if the ball comes down from there, hit the flipper at that point and it will go up there".
That said, in Balls of Steel that is a lot harder to do than in Epic Pinball. Mostly because BOS is like ten times faster. But it's easier to keep the ball in game, since the flippers are wider and the ball does not nearly as often drop down the center as it does in EP. Like in Android, when the ball comes down from the bumper area it often just falls inbetween the flippers and there's nothing you can do about it. Also in EP the slingshots often shoot it down the outer lanes in the blink of an eye. The Jill of the Jungle table is a good example of that.

rfnagel wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

Hey, that's a GREAT idea! 😀 I never thought of that before, but one thing I did remember... a buddy of mine used to FRAPS some of our Counter-Strike games, and he said that FRAPS would display what the actual framerate of the game was (although, the Half-Life GoldSource engine DOES already have a console command to display one's framerate).

FRAPS only works in 3D games, right? And I think BOS just uses DirectDraw or something, so that's probably not gonna work. But I could always try it, of course.

rfnagel wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

Hehe, yeah really, who would have thought... this from a company who sics their trademark lawyers like rapid dogs on most ANYONE who farts the wrong way!

I just thought.. could this be used as get-out-of-jail-free card if you ever get caught using a pirated copy of Windows? 🤣

rfnagel wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

Oh and something else... I hope IBM fired the guy who decided the shift keys on the Model M did not need stabilizing bars. 😒

Man... If I had a keyboard that didn't have those bars on the shift keys (or the spacebar and enter keys as well), mine would have fell off a LONG time ago 🤣!

I don't think they'd fall off anytime soon, but you have to hit the key exactly in the middle, it's much stiffer near the sides. I think I'd better remap the keybindings to use the letter keys, like S/L for the flippers and Q/P for side nudges. That places your thumbs closer to the spacebar as well. Too bad that's not possible in EP.

Reply 53 of 138, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:

I don't really pay attention to the rules, just try keep the ball in game as long as possible and the score will go up eventually 😀 Once you start playing more often, you'll automatically start aiming as well. At least that's what I do. You just remember "if the ball comes down from there, hit the flipper at that point and it will go up there". That said, in Balls of Steel that is a lot harder to do than in Epic Pinball. Mostly because BOS is like ten times faster. But it's easier to keep the ball in game, since the flippers are wider and the ball does not nearly as often drop down the center as it does in EP. Like in Android, when the ball comes down from the bumper area it often just falls inbetween the flippers and there's nothing you can do about it. Also in EP the slingshots often shoot it down the outer lanes in the blink of an eye. The Jill of the Jungle table is a good example of that.

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep those in mind when I play again 😀 Although, I DO try to aim... it just never seems to go the way that I think that it will 🤣! And yeah, those "slingshots" really drive me nutz... not much you can do when the ball does that 🙁

jwt27 wrote:

FRAPS only works in 3D games, right? And I think BOS just uses DirectDraw or something, so that's probably not gonna work. But I could always try it, of course.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it will work or not. Doesn't hurt to try, though 😀

jwt27 wrote:

I just thought.. could this be used as get-out-of-jail-free card if you ever get caught using a pirated copy of Windows? 🤣

Hehe, maybe if you paid your lawyer(s) enough 🤣!

jwt27 wrote:

I don't think they'd fall off anytime soon, but you have to hit the key exactly in the middle, it's much stiffer near the sides. I think I'd better remap the keybindings to use the letter keys, like S/L for the flippers and Q/P for side nudges. That places your thumbs closer to the spacebar as well. Too bad that's not possible in EP.

You can't use DOSBox's key mapper to remap the keys for EP?

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 54 of 138, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rfnagel wrote:

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep those in mind when I play again 😀 Although, I DO try to aim... it just never seems to go the way that I think that it will 🤣! And yeah, those "slingshots" really drive me nutz... not much you can do when the ball does that 🙁

Not pretending to be a pinball wizard here though 🤣 But that's just how I play it.

rfnagel wrote:

You can't use DOSBox's key mapper to remap the keys for EP?

I play the game on straight DOS, so no. Last time I tried it on DOSBox I just got a nice slideshow with no vsync. Might have to try it again though, as someone here pointed out I need to use a fixed cycle count. But I think my PC is just not up to it.

Reply 55 of 138, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:

I play the game on straight DOS, so no. Last time I tried it on DOSBox I just got a nice slideshow with no vsync. Might have to try it again though, as someone here pointed out I need to use a fixed cycle count. But I think my PC is just not up to it.

Wow, I thought MINE was an antique 🤣!

That being said, I run all of the mentioned pinball games fluidly smooth on my current rig:

An Intel P4 2.666GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 Pro with 256MB VRAM, Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 (and NO additional WinDoZe updates), DirectX v9.0c (IIRC), WinDoZe desktop resolution 800x600x32-bit, and a Gateway VX900 19" CRT monitor.

I have the following Windows XP environment variables set (sample registry file follows):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1214440339-507921405-682003330-1003\Environment]
"SDL_AUDIODRIVER"="dsound"
"SDL_VIDEODRIVER"="directx"

...and here is my custom DOSBox "DOSBox.conf" configuration file contents:

# This is the configurationfile for DOSBox 0.74. (Please use the latest version of DOSBox)
# Lines starting with a # are commentlines and are ignored by DOSBox.
# They are used to (briefly) document the effect of each option.

[sdl]
# fullscreen: Start dosbox directly in fullscreen. (Press ALT-Enter to go back)
# fulldouble: Use double buffering in fullscreen. It can reduce screen flickering, but it can also result in a slow DOSBox.
# fullresolution: What resolution to use for fullscreen: original or fixed size (e.g. 1024x768).
# Using your monitor's native resolution with aspect=true might give the best results.
# If you end up with small window on a large screen, try an output different from surface.
# windowresolution: Scale the window to this size IF the output device supports hardware scaling.
# (output=surface does not!)
# output: What video system to use for output.
# Possible values: surface, overlay, opengl, openglnb, ddraw.
# autolock: Mouse will automatically lock, if you click on the screen. (Press CTRL-F10 to unlock)
# sensitivity: Mouse sensitivity.
# waitonerror: Wait before closing the console if dosbox has an error.
# priority: Priority levels for dosbox. Second entry behind the comma is for when dosbox is not focused/minimized.
# pause is only valid for the second entry.
# Possible values: lowest, lower, normal, higher, highest, pause.
# mapperfile: File used to load/save the key/event mappings from. Resetmapper only works with the defaul value.
# usescancodes: Avoid usage of symkeys, might not work on all operating systems.

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=640x480
output=overlay
autolock=true
sensitivity=250
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=Mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

[dosbox]
# language: Select another language file.
# machine: The type of machine tries to emulate.
# Possible values: hercules, cga, tandy, pcjr, ega, vgaonly, svga_s3, svga_et3000, svga_et4000, svga_paradise, vesa_nolfb, vesa_oldvbe.
# captures: Directory where things like wave, midi, screenshot get captured.
# memsize: Amount of memory DOSBox has in megabytes.
# This value is best left at its default to avoid problems with some games,
# though few games might require a higher value.
# There is generally no speed advantage when raising this value.

language=DOSBox.lang
machine=svga_s3
captures=Capture
memsize=16

[render]
# frameskip: How many frames DOSBox skips before drawing one.
# aspect: Do aspect correction, if your output method doesn't support scaling this can slow things down!.
# scaler: Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.
# If 'forced' is appended, then the scaler will be used even if the result might not be desired.
# Possible values: none, normal2x, normal3x, advmame2x, advmame3x, advinterp2x, advinterp3x, hq2x, hq3x, 2xsai, super2xsai, supereagle, tv2x, tv3x, rgb2x, rgb3x, scan2x, scan3x.

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x
Show last 188 lines

[cpu]
# core: CPU Core used in emulation. auto will switch to dynamic if available and appropriate.
# Possible values: auto, dynamic, normal, simple.
# cputype: CPU Type used in emulation. auto is the fastest choice.
# Possible values: auto, 386, 386_slow, 486_slow, pentium_slow, 386_prefetch.
# cycles: Amount of instructions DOSBox tries to emulate each millisecond.
# Setting this value too high results in sound dropouts and lags.
# Cycles can be set in 3 ways:
# 'auto' tries to guess what a game needs.
# It usually works, but can fail for certain games.
# 'fixed #number' will set a fixed amount of cycles. This is what you usually need if 'auto' fails.
# (Example: fixed 4000).
# 'max' will allocate as much cycles as your computer is able to handle.
#
# Possible values: auto, fixed, max.
# cycleup: Amount of cycles to decrease/increase with keycombo.(CTRL-F11/CTRL-F12)
# cycledown: Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.

core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=max
cycleup=10
cycledown=20

[mixer]
# nosound: Enable silent mode, sound is still emulated though.
# rate: Mixer sample rate, setting any device's rate higher than this will probably lower their sound quality.
# Possible values: 44100, 48000, 32000, 22050, 16000, 11025, 8000, 49716.
# blocksize: Mixer block size, larger blocks might help sound stuttering but sound will also be more lagged.
# Possible values: 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 512, 256.
# prebuffer: How many milliseconds of data to keep on top of the blocksize.

nosound=false
rate=44100
blocksize=1024
prebuffer=20

[midi]
# mpu401: Type of MPU-401 to emulate.
# Possible values: intelligent, uart, none.
# mididevice: Device that will receive the MIDI data from MPU-401.
# Possible values: default, win32, alsa, oss, coreaudio, coremidi, none.
# midiconfig: Special configuration options for the device driver. This is usually the id of the device you want to use.
# See the README/Manual for more details.

mpu401=none
mididevice=none
midiconfig=

[sblaster]
# sbtype: Type of Soundblaster to emulate. gb is Gameblaster.
# Possible values: sb1, sb2, sbpro1, sbpro2, sb16, gb, none.
# sbbase: The IO address of the soundblaster.
# Possible values: 220, 240, 260, 280, 2a0, 2c0, 2e0, 300.
# irq: The IRQ number of the soundblaster.
# Possible values: 7, 5, 3, 9, 10, 11, 12.
# dma: The DMA number of the soundblaster.
# Possible values: 1, 5, 0, 3, 6, 7.
# hdma: The High DMA number of the soundblaster.
# sbmixer: Allow the soundblaster mixer to modify the DOSBox mixer.
# oplmode: Type of OPL emulation. On 'auto' the mode is determined by sblaster type. All OPL modes are Adlib-compatible, except for 'cms'.
# Possible values: auto, cms, opl2, dualopl2, opl3, none.
# oplemu: Provider for the OPL emulation. compat might provide better quality (see oplrate as well).
# Possible values: default, compat, fast.
# oplrate: Sample rate of OPL music emulation. Use 49716 for highest quality (set the mixer rate accordingly).
# Possible values: 44100, 49716, 48000, 32000, 22050, 16000, 11025, 8000.

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=5
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=none
oplemu=default
oplrate=44100

[gus]
# gus: Enable the Gravis Ultrasound emulation.
# gusrate: Sample rate of Ultrasound emulation.
# gusbase: The IO base address of the Gravis Ultrasound.
# Possible values: 240, 220, 260, 280, 2a0, 2c0, 2e0, 300.
# gusirq: The IRQ number of the Gravis Ultrasound.
# Possible values: 5, 3, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12.
# gusdma: The DMA channel of the Gravis Ultrasound.
# Possible values: 3, 0, 1, 5, 6, 7.
# ultradir: Path to Ultrasound directory. In this directory
# there should be a MIDI directory that contains
# the patch files for GUS playback. Patch sets used
# with Timidity should work fine.

gus=true
gusrate=44100
gusbase=240
gusirq=7
gusdma=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
# pcspeaker: Enable PC-Speaker emulation.
# pcrate: Sample rate of the PC-Speaker sound generation.
# tandy: Enable Tandy Sound System emulation. For 'auto', emulation is present only if machine is set to 'tandy'.
# Possible values: auto, on, off.
# tandyrate: Sample rate of the Tandy 3-Voice generation.
# disney: Enable Disney Sound Source emulation. (Covox Voice Master and Speech Thing compatible).

pcspeaker=true
pcrate=44100
tandy=off
tandyrate=44100
disney=false

[joystick]
# joysticktype: Type of joystick to emulate: auto (default), none,
# 2axis (supports two joysticks),
# 4axis (supports one joystick, first joystick used),
# 4axis_2 (supports one joystick, second joystick used),
# fcs (Thrustmaster), ch (CH Flightstick).
# none disables joystick emulation.
# auto chooses emulation depending on real joystick(s).
# (Remember to reset dosbox's mapperfile if you saved it earlier)
# Possible values: auto, 2axis, 4axis, 4axis_2, fcs, ch, none.
# timed: enable timed intervals for axis. Experiment with this option, if your joystick drifts (away).
# autofire: continuously fires as long as you keep the button pressed.
# swap34: swap the 3rd and the 4th axis. can be useful for certain joysticks.
# buttonwrap: enable button wrapping at the number of emulated buttons.

joysticktype=ch
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=true
buttonwrap=false

[serial]
# serial1: set type of device connected to com port.
# Can be disabled, dummy, modem, nullmodem, directserial.
# Additional parameters must be in the same line in the form of
# parameter:value. Parameter for all types is irq (optional).
# for directserial: realport (required), rxdelay (optional).
# (realport:COM1 realport:ttyS0).
# for modem: listenport (optional).
# for nullmodem: server, rxdelay, txdelay, telnet, usedtr,
# transparent, port, inhsocket (all optional).
# Example: serial1=modem listenport:5000
# Possible values: dummy, disabled, modem, nullmodem, directserial.
# serial2: see serial1
# serial3: see serial1
# serial4: see serial1

serial1=disabled
serial2=disabled
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[dos]
# xms: Enable XMS support.
# ems: Enable EMS support.
# umb: Enable UMB support.
# keyboardlayout: Language code of the keyboard layout (or none).

xms=false
ems=false
umb=false
keyboardlayout=auto

[ipx]
# ipx: Enable ipx over UDP/IP emulation.

ipx=false

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
@ECHO OFF
MOUNT C C:\GAMES -FREESIZE 1000
VER SET 7 10
SET PATH=C:\;C:\DOS;C:\FED;GM_RESET;C:\NC;C:\NE;C:\NU;C:\PATH;C:\PKZIP;C:\TEMP;Z:\
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\TEMP
C:

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 57 of 138, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:
why do you use normal2x together with windowresolution=640x480 output=overlay […]
Show full quote

why do you use normal2x together with
windowresolution=640x480
output=overlay

And why do you use windowresolution=640x480 at all? for shrinking?

I guess because the game is in 320x240, scaled x2 = 640x480 ?

rfnagel wrote:

Wow, I thought MINE was an antique 🤣!

That being said, I run all of the mentioned pinball games fluidly smooth on my current rig:

An Intel P4 2.666GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 Pro with 256MB VRAM, Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 (and NO additional WinDoZe updates), DirectX v9.0c (IIRC), WinDoZe desktop resolution 800x600x32-bit, and a Gateway VX900 19" CRT monitor.

My system is more or less the same 🤣 I should be able to run it then.

And... can you really live with 800x600 as desktop resolution? 😳

Reply 58 of 138, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:
why do you use normal2x together with windowresolution=640x480 output=overlay And why do you use windowresolution=640x480 at […]
Show full quote

why do you use normal2x together with
windowresolution=640x480
output=overlay
And why do you use windowresolution=640x480 at all? for shrinking?

Basically, what Jwt27 replied. Anyhow, I don't normally play these games in a window, but my previously posted config gives me the closest look and "feel" to the original game(s).

If (on the slim chance) I decide to play the game in a window, the same holds true... it looks and "feels" the same, without any graphics smoothing and such.

Oh, and I use "overlay" MOSTLY because I seem to get a little better framerate in most ALL of my DOS games.

jwt27 wrote:

My system is more or less the same 🤣 I should be able to run it then.

Most definitely 😀 BTW, other than a few games (such as the Epic MegaGames pinball games), I have a similar *SINGLE* DOSBox config that I run ALMOST ANYTHING with fairly well.

Just for the curious, my *NORMAL* "DOSBox.conf" that I runs just about ANYTHING that I throw at it quite well...

Windows XP environment variables set (sample registry file follows):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1214440339-507921405-682003330-1003\Environment]
"SDL_AUDIODRIVER"="dsound"
"SDL_VIDEODRIVER"="directx"

...and here is my *NORMAL* DOSBox "DOSBox.conf" configuration file contents (runs damned near anything GREAT):

# This is the configurationfile for DOSBox 0.74. (Please use the latest version of DOSBox)
# Lines starting with a # are commentlines and are ignored by DOSBox.
# They are used to (briefly) document the effect of each option.

[sdl]
# fullscreen: Start dosbox directly in fullscreen. (Press ALT-Enter to go back)
# fulldouble: Use double buffering in fullscreen. It can reduce screen flickering, but it can also result in a slow DOSBox.
# fullresolution: What resolution to use for fullscreen: original or fixed size (e.g. 1024x768).
# Using your monitor's native resolution with aspect=true might give the best results.
# If you end up with small window on a large screen, try an output different from surface.
# windowresolution: Scale the window to this size IF the output device supports hardware scaling.
# (output=surface does not!)
# output: What video system to use for output.
# Possible values: surface, overlay, opengl, openglnb, ddraw.
# autolock: Mouse will automatically lock, if you click on the screen. (Press CTRL-F10 to unlock)
# sensitivity: Mouse sensitivity.
# waitonerror: Wait before closing the console if dosbox has an error.
# priority: Priority levels for dosbox. Second entry behind the comma is for when dosbox is not focused/minimized.
# pause is only valid for the second entry.
# Possible values: lowest, lower, normal, higher, highest, pause.
# mapperfile: File used to load/save the key/event mappings from. Resetmapper only works with the defaul value.
# usescancodes: Avoid usage of symkeys, might not work on all operating systems.

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
# fullresolution=original
fullresolution=desktop
# windowresolution=original
windowresolution=640x480
# output=surface
output=overlay
autolock=true
sensitivity=250
waitonerror=true
# priority=highest,highest
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=Mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

[dosbox]
# language: Select another language file.
# machine: The type of machine tries to emulate.
# Possible values: hercules, cga, tandy, pcjr, ega, vgaonly, svga_s3, svga_et3000, svga_et4000, svga_paradise, vesa_nolfb, vesa_oldvbe.
# captures: Directory where things like wave, midi, screenshot get captured.
# memsize: Amount of memory DOSBox has in megabytes.
# This value is best left at its default to avoid problems with some games,
# though few games might require a higher value.
# There is generally no speed advantage when raising this value.

language=DOSBox.lang
machine=svga_s3
captures=Capture
# memsize=16
memsize=31

[render]
# frameskip: How many frames DOSBox skips before drawing one.
# aspect: Do aspect correction, if your output method doesn't support scaling this can slow things down!.
# scaler: Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.
# If 'forced' is appended, then the scaler will be used even if the result might not be desired.
Show last 202 lines
#            Possible values: none, normal2x, normal3x, advmame2x, advmame3x, advinterp2x, advinterp3x, hq2x, hq3x, 2xsai, super2xsai, supereagle, tv2x, tv3x, rgb2x, rgb3x, scan2x, scan3x.

frameskip=0
# aspect=false
aspect=true
# scaler=normal2x
scaler=normal3x

[cpu]
# core: CPU Core used in emulation. auto will switch to dynamic if available and appropriate.
# Possible values: auto, dynamic, normal, simple.
# cputype: CPU Type used in emulation. auto is the fastest choice.
# Possible values: auto, 386, 386_slow, 486_slow, pentium_slow, 386_prefetch.
# cycles: Amount of instructions DOSBox tries to emulate each millisecond.
# Setting this value too high results in sound dropouts and lags.
# Cycles can be set in 3 ways:
# 'auto' tries to guess what a game needs.
# It usually works, but can fail for certain games.
# 'fixed #number' will set a fixed amount of cycles. This is what you usually need if 'auto' fails.
# (Example: fixed 4000).
# 'max' will allocate as much cycles as your computer is able to handle.
#
# Possible values: auto, fixed, max.
# cycleup: Amount of cycles to decrease/increase with keycombo.(CTRL-F11/CTRL-F12)
# cycledown: Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.

core=auto
cputype=auto
# cycles=auto
cycles=max
cycleup=10
cycledown=20

[mixer]
# nosound: Enable silent mode, sound is still emulated though.
# rate: Mixer sample rate, setting any device's rate higher than this will probably lower their sound quality.
# blocksize: Mixer block size, larger blocks might help sound stuttering but sound will also be more lagged.
# Possible values: 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 512, 256.
# prebuffer: How many milliseconds of data to keep on top of the blocksize.

nosound=false
rate=44100
blocksize=1024
prebuffer=20

[midi]
# mpu401: Type of MPU-401 to emulate.
# Possible values: intelligent, uart, none.
# mididevice: Device that will receive the MIDI data from MPU-401.
# Possible values: default, win32, alsa, oss, coreaudio, coremidi, none.
# midiconfig: Special configuration options for the device driver. This is usually the id of the device you want to use.
# See the README/Manual for more details.

mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=default
midiconfig=

[sblaster]
# sbtype: Type of Soundblaster to emulate. gb is Gameblaster.
# Possible values: sb1, sb2, sbpro1, sbpro2, sb16, gb, none.
# sbbase: The IO address of the soundblaster.
# Possible values: 220, 240, 260, 280, 2a0, 2c0, 2e0, 300.
# irq: The IRQ number of the soundblaster.
# Possible values: 7, 5, 3, 9, 10, 11, 12.
# dma: The DMA number of the soundblaster.
# hdma: The High DMA number of the soundblaster.
# sbmixer: Allow the soundblaster mixer to modify the DOSBox mixer.
# oplmode: Type of OPL emulation. On 'auto' the mode is determined by sblaster type. All OPL modes are Adlib-compatible, except for 'cms'.
# Possible values: auto, cms, opl2, dualopl2, opl3, none.
# oplemu: Provider for the OPL emulation. compat might provide better quality (see oplrate as well).
# Possible values: default, compat, fast.
# oplrate: Sample rate of OPL music emulation. Use 49716 for highest quality (set the mixer rate accordingly).
# Possible values: 44100, 49716, 48000, 32000, 22050, 16000, 11025, 8000.

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
# irq=7
irq=5
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=default
oplrate=44100

[gus]
# gus: Enable the Gravis Ultrasound emulation.
# gusrate: Sample rate of Ultrasound emulation.
# gusbase: The IO base address of the Gravis Ultrasound.
# Possible values: 240, 220, 260, 280, 2a0, 2c0, 2e0, 300.
# gusirq: The IRQ number of the Gravis Ultrasound.
# Possible values: 5, 3, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12.
# gusdma: The DMA channel of the Gravis Ultrasound.
# Possible values: 3, 0, 1, 5, 6, 7.
# ultradir: Path to Ultrasound directory. In this directory
# there should be a MIDI directory that contains
# the patch files for GUS playback. Patch sets used
# with Timidity should work fine.

gus=true
gusrate=44100
gusbase=240
# gusirq=5
gusirq=7
gusdma=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
# pcspeaker: Enable PC-Speaker emulation.
# pcrate: Sample rate of the PC-Speaker sound generation.
# tandy: Enable Tandy Sound System emulation. For 'auto', emulation is present only if machine is set to 'tandy'.
# Possible values: auto, on, off.
# tandyrate: Sample rate of the Tandy 3-Voice generation.
# disney: Enable Disney Sound Source emulation. (Covox Voice Master and Speech Thing compatible).

pcspeaker=true
pcrate=44100
tandy=auto
tandyrate=44100
disney=true

[joystick]
# joysticktype: Type of joystick to emulate: auto (default), none,
# 2axis (supports two joysticks),
# 4axis (supports one joystick, first joystick used),
# 4axis_2 (supports one joystick, second joystick used),
# fcs (Thrustmaster), ch (CH Flightstick).
# none disables joystick emulation.
# auto chooses emulation depending on real joystick(s).
# (Remember to reset dosbox's mapperfile if you saved it earlier)
# Possible values: auto, 2axis, 4axis, 4axis_2, fcs, ch, none.
# timed: enable timed intervals for axis. Experiment with this option, if your joystick drifts (away).
# autofire: continuously fires as long as you keep the button pressed.
# swap34: swap the 3rd and the 4th axis. can be useful for certain joysticks.
# buttonwrap: enable button wrapping at the number of emulated buttons.

joysticktype=ch
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=true
# buttonwrap=true
buttonwrap=false

[serial]
# serial1: set type of device connected to com port.
# Can be disabled, dummy, modem, nullmodem, directserial.
# Additional parameters must be in the same line in the form of
# parameter:value. Parameter for all types is irq (optional).
# for directserial: realport (required), rxdelay (optional).
# (realport:COM1 realport:ttyS0).
# for modem: listenport (optional).
# for nullmodem: server, rxdelay, txdelay, telnet, usedtr,
# transparent, port, inhsocket (all optional).
# Example: serial1=modem listenport:5000
# serial2: see serial1
# serial3: see serial1
# serial4: see serial1

serial1=directserial realport:com1
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[dos]
# xms: Enable XMS support.
# ems: Enable EMS support.
# umb: Enable UMB support.
# keyboardlayout: Language code of the keyboard layout (or none).

xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=auto

[ipx]
# ipx: Enable ipx over UDP/IP emulation.

ipx=true

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
@ECHO OFF
# MIXER MASTER 75:75
MOUNT C C:\GAMES -FREESIZE 1000
# VER SET 5 0
VER SET 7 10
SET PATH=C:\;C:\DOS;C:\FED;C:\GM_RESET;C:\NC;C:\NE;C:\NU;C:\PATH;C:\PKZIP;C:\TEMP;Z:\
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\TEMP
C:
CLS
jwt27 wrote:

And... can you really live with 800x600 as desktop resolution? 😳

Hehe, these old aging 51+ year old eyes have a helluva time seeing the WinDoZe desktop at anything higher on this old 19" CRT monitor 🤣!

P.S. Been using 800x600x32-bit (or 24-bit, depending on video card) since 1995 with Windows 3.11 WFWG (re: http://jasonwilliams400com.startlogic.com/sno … _486DX4-100.htm ) 😀

"You can't teach an old dog new tricks!"

🤣!

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 59 of 138, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BTW, just a heads-up:

A few more games that have been recently added to CyberScore, requested by your's truly:

Bejeweled Twist -> http://www.cyberscore.me.uk/game/1275

The *ORIGINAL* Epic Pinball shareware table, "Android" (*NOT* to be confused with newer "Super Android") -> http://www.cyberscore.me.uk/chart/160819

Recently requested, but not added yet:

Bejeweled Deluxe - The original version for PC.
Bejeweled Blitz - The PC Windows version of the popular Facebook game.
Bejeweled 2 Deluxe - Additional scoreboards for the unlockable game modes.

(Edit) P.S. Detailed information about the differences of the "Android" and "Super Android" pinball tables here -> http://www.cyberscore.me.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3626.0 , and more discussion here -> http://www.cyberscore.me.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3638.0 .

And... download the *ORIGINAL* version of the "Android" pinball table ("0pinball.zip") here -> ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/clk/pc/dos/games/0pinball.zip , or here -> http://cd.textfiles.com/ems/emspro20/disk4/GA … ES/0PINBALL.ZIP 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel