VOGONS

Fallout 4 discussion thread!

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 101, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I went ahead and pulled the trigger last night on Fallout 4 and all the DLC, my buddy told me about greenmangaming where you can get 20% off new releases, so that was what sucked me in. Still cost $72 but I figure I will get my money out of shooting mutants and deathclaws on Thanksgiving.

I don't really think that Fallout 3 compares to Oblivion, I think they held true to the spirit of the original game quite well. My only beef with the new Fallout games is they took away the old "Gifted" perk which would (I think) give you one extra stat point across the board, at the expense of less xp or something. So I would frequently take Gifted and Good Natured. And I also don't like how they changed tag skills, to where you no longer get double points in the skills you tag but instead get an initial bump and that is it. But those are my only real complaints.

Reply 41 of 101, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Firtasik wrote:

According to PCWorld.com Fallout 4 is more "Oblivion with guns" than Fallout 3. 🤣

Yep, Fallout died with Van Buren. 😢

I don't like Van Buren. The top down 2.5D view and point and click movement controls from Baldur's Gate would have been annoying as hell in 2008.

Last edited by sliderider on 2015-11-10, 05:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 42 of 101, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
Firtasik wrote:

According to PCWorld.com Fallout 4 is more "Oblivion with guns" than Fallout 3. 🤣

Yep, Fallout died with Van Buren. 😢

I don't like Van Buren. The top down 2.5D view and point and click movement controls from Baldur's Gate would have been annoying as hell in 2006.

There is still high demand for "old schoolers". Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 2 prove it. 😀

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 43 of 101, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I played and finished Fallout 1 for the first time this year. It was ok. Certainly quirky as hell but whatever.

Also tried out Fallout 2 and Tactics. But I was a bit burned out on the old aesthetic and gameplay after FO1. I even tried the weird Original Xbox game.

Fallout 4 looks fresh and exciting. Looking forward to it.

Reply 44 of 101, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So what's the go with the release time? Here in Germany it's a quarter-past 11, but Steam says it doesn't unlock for another 3 hours? I thought it gets unlocked at 12:01am?

Edit - Refreshed the Store page and it's now saying approx. 1 hour. Nice! 😊

Reply 46 of 101, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So how many of you are lucky enough to be living in New Zealand (the first country that gets to officially unlock the game)?

Dammit! The game only just unlocked in my region and there's already a massive patch that has to be applied before I can play. Can't they at least wait a day before patching?

Reply 47 of 101, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

So how many of you are lucky enough to be living in New Zealand (the first country that gets to officially unlock the game)?

Dammit! The game only just unlocked in my region and there's already a massive patch that has to be applied before I can play. Can't they at least wait a day before patching?

Kind of defeats the whole point of preloading the game. The patch should have already been there before launch day, otherwise they should wait.
But more to the point, I don't understand why a single player game should ever have mandatory patches.
New patch is out? That's nice, I don't really care, let me play the one I have, thanks.

My internet is too slow for this kind of thing, it would probably take weeks before I could play it.

Reply 48 of 101, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shamino wrote:

I don't understand why a single player game should ever have mandatory patches.

until you realize what company made it 🤣

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 49 of 101, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why is there such a thing as a "Day 1" patch? Has Bethesda really been in the business this long to not have any sort of Q&A team?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 50 of 101, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Day 1 is easy to understand. When a game is ready to be released (commonly known as Gold status), devs have to submit the latest build, so that others ready it for mass production and online distribution. Just a few years, when retail was the only way games were released, there would be a gap of at least a month from achieving Gold status to the game actually being available on shelves. So, it made sense for developers to keep working on the game, fixing any bug that they found. All these bugfixes would go towards a single patch that would be released on Day 1.

Nowadays, retail production is a lot less important and as such, AFAIK, Gold Status to actual release is a lot shorter.

I see Day 1 as something really good for the end user, however companies love to abuse it. There is a fine line between shippable products and unfinished, a lot of games nowadays are arguably closer to unfinished. Higher ups don't want to delay games and miss profitable weeks and as such a lot of "Known Shippable" bugs or even completely unfinished content gets rushed out of the door. I hate this and try to avoid or even boycott such practices.

Reply 51 of 101, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just binge played this for the past 10 hours straight. Time to shower, consume food, and repeat! So far I really am enjoying it.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 52 of 101, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

Just binge played this for the past 10 hours straight. Time to shower, consume food, and repeat! So far I really am enjoying it.

i know! There was this one abandoned *REDACTED* I was in and a bunch of ghouls came in from the side and just so totally scared the shit out of me. I'm REALLY liking the difficulty and just everything overall. Everything just "FEELS" right.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 53 of 101, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well...I haven't played much since this game makes my laptop cry, but here
are my first impressions:

Looks pretty good on even a low-end machine, I just wish they had some lower
resolutions so I could get some more frames out.

They didn't fix the broken hacking mini game, I don't much care for it. Tedious.

There don't seem to be skill points anymore? I can't find them, anyway.
Leveling interface is a bit confusing compared to the old system, and the pip
boy is a bit more of a nuisance to navigate. My slow ass laptop may be contributing
to the problem.

Dogmeat is awesome, Codsworth is amusing.

Story seems like it has potential to go interesting places but time will tell.

Crafting is very detailed. I mean, ridiculously so. But you can make damn
near anything.

Overall, I think if I run it on a faster system or can run it at a lower res on my
laptop, once I get used to the changes it will start to come into it's own, but
then I love Fallout.

Other people may want to wait for a sale. Anything less than Core i3 and a 750ti
Is probably unplayable.

Reply 54 of 101, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I only have about 8 hours into it, but I got a colony started in Sanctuary and have my own thing going on down the road at the Red Rocket where I'm building a sort of outpost to the main settlement for my own use when I want to get away from people. I'm keeping my power armor and all the junk I find there to recycle into more useful items. I have some secondary buildings set up on the property and am starting to try to fence it off as I'm able to build more fence sections. I've added a bit more security to the main building by closing off the windows and doors and recycled everything on the property that has no other use. I've found a few bands of raiders, some mirelurks, feral ghouls, and a deathclaw that I have dealt with in addition to the usual assortment of pests like molerats, bloatflies, dogs, and a few others. I'm roaming around now trying to contact more local people for the settlement, gathering materials, and doing sidequests. I'm also being very meticulous about gathering up every last item and exploring every nook and cranny, so that's slowing me down. The first day really killed me with the big patch because I was playing before work and hoped to get in two hours then but only got one due to the patch and then I was so tired when I got home from work I slept longer than I wanted to. I just quit the game because I have to get ready for work again now so I won't be able to play again for about 8 or 9 hours.

Reply 55 of 101, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Same here as you Sliderider. So far, I am liking it a lot.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 56 of 101, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

22 hours in and the game seems very stable. I have had one hard crash over the 22 hours and unfortunately it appears there is no support for resolutions over 2560x1440. On first glace it seems like a really polished game - Power Armour is cool 😀

I downloaded my first patch today over steam... seemed very small.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 57 of 101, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My issue with the power armor and crafting is it's given way too soon.

Would be better to have to find books to figure out how to craft and a difficult quest later in the game to acquire the power armor. Think the ADD generation probably wouldn't be able to wait around for that so oh well.

Hopefully that stuff can be modded later.

But yeah power armor is cool. 😁

I'm playing the game in survival mode and it's...not 🙁.

And for some reason VATS is demphasized, took me 4 hours before I remembered that it was missing and then had to look up the key to figure out how to enable it.

Found some kind of quarry today with lots of clipping issues so that was interesting. Nothing game breaking though.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 58 of 101, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:
My issue with the power armor and crafting is it's given way too soon. […]
Show full quote

My issue with the power armor and crafting is it's given way too soon.

Would be better to have to find books to figure out how to craft and a difficult quest later in the game to acquire the power armor. Think the ADD generation probably wouldn't be able to wait around for that so oh well.

Hopefully that stuff can be modded later.

But yeah power armor is cool. 😁

I'm playing the game in survival mode and it's...not 🙁.

And for some reason VATS is demphasized, took me 4 hours before I remembered that it was missing and then had to look up the key to figure out how to enable it.

Found some kind of quarry today with lots of clipping issues so that was interesting. Nothing game breaking though.

The power armor is slow and weak, that's why they give it to you early. you're meant to build it up to face stronger opponents later. I rarely take it out at this point because it hinders my speed and movement too much. I've found some pretty strong alternative armor that I use while I'm out gathering stuff. If I come across something too strong protecting an area that I need to be in, like a deathclaw, I'll run back and get the power armor.

Reply 59 of 101, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have not jumped on since the patch, but before it I ran into two total semi-game breaking bugs
#1 lockpicking was broken. The only part that loaded was the background, not the lock/pick so I had to do it with nothing but audio cues. #2 My map in my pip boy was 100% broken, could not navigate it or use it. Which makes fast travel impossible. Which makes navigating the world a pain in the rear. BUT!!! I still have been enjoying myself. Ran into a raider in a full suit of power armor with a Fat Man. Getting hit in the head by a nuke is not very fun, but is comical!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1