VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 40, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
creepingnet wrote on 2023-07-14, 21:14:

Windows 1/2/3.0 are pretty useless IMHO for my intents and purposes, only by which that I can do everything they can do in DOS on the same systems a whole heck of a lot faster.

It would be kind of neat to make some new applications for those APIs though and see maybe what could have been but never was - ie a basic web browser that's B&W that runs in Windows 2.x .

I'm not 100% convinced security is a total reason for the kibbosh on e-mail clients for legacy systems - I have a program called FLMAIL for DOS that actually seems to work okay with my Google Account on a 486 Dx2-50 with the security settings slightly reduced. The only thing going against it is SVGAlib - if someone made a text mode version, it probably could work on an 8088 or 286. More of the problem with legacy internet stuff is either the software pre-dated it, nobody who programs is interested in making a client and nobody who is interested in programming knows how to program their own, and what does exist is getting passed over by less capable more well known things (ie Arachne vs. LYNX vs. Links).

there should be a few more , we just need to search , first try softpedia then archive site then old cd's

I don't know what to do about upgrade of 286 toshiba to win 3.1 .....

BTW PC jr (IBM) have some nice working os's uploaded into the vm / in the link
Ps. I can post floppy versions of 2.03
or a manual for 3.0-3.1 or something , I have it download-ed
Usually I just use VC or NC under pc-dos , is it pc dos the problem? (should load 3.1 but it just run's out of memory after finishing the copying files part in dos-mode , never lauching gui install part)
my toshiba read's 1 mb at launch/boot-up , and I can use extra 4 meg sticks if I have HIMEM-HMA/EMS/EMM286 or something that sees the ram
(it's a pain sorting it all out , I read a few books on the subject).

My 80486-S i66 Project