Topic actions

Reply 60 of 135, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

And how to I type ingame messages?

Default keys are T for global chat and R for team chat. (the latter only applies to team games)

You can change these keys at any time by going into Options, Preferences and clicking on the Controls tab.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 61 of 135, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How do you jump higher? I noticed power ups on top of crates that were too high to jump up and get. I tried double-tapping my jump key (space) but that didn't seem to do the trick.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 62 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
clueless1 wrote:

How do you jump higher? I noticed power ups on top of crates that were too high to jump up and get. I tried double-tapping my jump key (space) but that didn't seem to do the trick.

Jump down from a higher spot. or find the jump boots things.

Reply 63 of 135, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yay, I finally managed to defeat the bot 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 64 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Cool. Nice work. I added the bots so people could still play on the server when no one else is playing.

There good for practice and kill the time when your waiting for another player. The server sould kick the bots when anther person joins.

This will burst your bobble abit, the bots adjust there skill to match yours. The better you are the better they are, the worse you are the worse they are. As you get better the bots will to.

Reply 66 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Vyothric wrote:

Ping is too high for me here (UK) unfortunately.

Sorry about that.
I have a few things I still need to do to speed up my network.
I don't have a direct drop from my router to the server and my modem is very old and on its way out.

I'll be getting a new modem and will replace all my lines with cat6 if not cat7. Other then that I can't do much to speed it up. I can only make my end faster.

EDIT:
Whats your ping?

Reply 67 of 135, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

This will burst your bobble abit, the bots adjust there skill to match yours. The better you are the better they are, the worse you are the worse they are. As you get better the bots will to.

When I was playing against the bot "Archon", he was picking up an invisibility powerup (which was probably the one on the crate that I couldn't jump up to get to), and he'd walk right up to me without attacking, almost as if he was checking if I could see him or not. As soon as I'd spot him and start firing, he'd switch into attack mode. Kinda creepy. 😀

The funny thing was, I started guarding that power up so he couldn't turn invisible, then I started getting the upper hand, but by then it was too late. He won 30-16.

If I can figure out how to get to that powerup, I might be able to beat him.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 68 of 135, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

Cool. Nice work. I added the bots so people could still play on the server when no one else is playing.

There good for practice and kill the time when your waiting for another player. The server sould kick the bots when anther person joins.

In Unreal one could disable the automatic skill scaling though. I used to disable this as it felt like I was putting in efford for no gain at all 🤣

Just had a nice 'game' with subhuman hehe 😁

Yeah, I noticed ping is quite high for me as well, but I think Jade Falcon deserves a pat on the back for setting up his server 😀

It should be pretty easy to create a server in Europe, but I suppose one would have to open ports and keep the server online at all times?
If I try this out, I'll put an update in this thread.

Report spammers here!

Reply 69 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Yes you have to forward the ports, but the server does not need to be online all day.
Better if it was.

I'm going to be doing some stuff to my network to lower the pings.
New modem run some cat7 to replace the crummy cat5 (non cat5e) cable as well. and have a line going to my serve. Right now I'm piggy backing of my home powers lines for Ethernet cables. have a dedicated drop will help alot.

Reply 70 of 135, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm going to try setting up a server, identical password and name will be Vogons2.

It's mostly a test, but if I get it working, feel free to join 😀.

It should be in the list of servers, but that's for anthology. If you can find it, but can't join or there's some other problem, please let me know.

Report spammers here!

Reply 71 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Tetrium wrote:

I'm going to try setting up a server, identical password and name will be Vogons2.

It's mostly a test, but if I get it working, feel free to join 😀.

It should be in the list of servers, but that's for anthology. If you can find it, but can't join or there's some other problem, please let me know.

With such a slow upload I'd pass on the mods.

Maybe your can be a ctf server or something wile my can stay a death match?

Reply 72 of 135, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There aren't any mods on my server, it's a standard. It does seem to run a lot slower (it's at 100% normal speed).

Report spammers here!

Reply 74 of 135, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
PeterLI wrote:

Do clients need port forwarding? Where can I find UT99? Do I need to purchase it? 😀

Should not, online, yes.

The cd-rom version would not work on your server?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 75 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Robin4 wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:
PeterLI wrote:

Do clients need port forwarding? Where can I find UT99? Do I need to purchase it? 😀

Should not, online, yes.

The cd-rom version would not work on your server?

should. may need to install the 436 update.
I set the serve up from the cd version with the 436 update.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-11-14, 22:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 76 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Tetrium wrote:

There aren't any mods on my server, it's a standard. It does seem to run a lot slower (it's at 100% normal speed).

it made me down load some mods.

Anyway the server it back up, sorry about the down time. Some how the ATX cable came lose when I moved the pc to installed the new cat5e cable.

Pings should be a bit better. not by much maybe 1-5ms better.

Reply 77 of 135, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Anthology works right away, just fyi 😀

Still need to get used a bit to this, there's plenty options to set up a server.

Anyone else besides Jade Falcon seeing the Vogons2 server?

Report spammers here!

Reply 78 of 135, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:
it made me down load some mods. […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

it made me down load some mods.

Anyway the server it back up, sorry about the down time. Some how the ATX cable came lose when I moved the pc to installed the new cat5e cable.

Pings should be a bit better. not by much maybe 1-5ms better.

The lag was quite bad though, I couldn't aim. I'll go try it out now.

What mods would you recommend? I have in the past modden ut2004 and before that messed around in Unreal (non-tournament, didn't have ut99 at the time).

Report spammers here!

Reply 79 of 135, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I vote for:

UT 99
Doom or Doom II
Quake
Return to Castle Wolfenstein ( I think it had multiplayer unless I'm remembering incorrectly)
X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter
Syndicate Wars
Command & Conquer: Red Alert