VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm a Canadian in Toronto but I'll be visiting NYC, Manhattan specifically, in June because I'm tagging along with my spouse who's attending a tournament. The hotel was booked either way so why not pay for a train ticket for myself and go check out New York?

So are there any shops or other things that a Retro PC Enthusiast should totally check out? Retro game shops known for stocking PC games too? Good thrift locations? Museums exhibits? Def planning to check out the firehouse from Ghostbusters, it's only a 20min subway trip from the Hotel. While not retro, there's a Microcenter in Brooklyn I thought I'd check out since we just don't have those in Canada.

Anything retro arcade/pinball to check out (Play, not buy, ha ha) would be neat too.

Thanks.

Last edited by Fujoshi-hime on 2024-04-14, 19:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Take an empty suitcase to fill with Raspberry Pis, Pi zeros, Pi picos, Microcenter seems to be about the only place that has them at MRSP... a lot of others claim to but the shipping is mysteriously 10 or 15 higher than any same size or weight item, can't be combined and is single unit.

I have heard about a retro gaming cafe in New York somewhere but don't know much other than that.

I would look into the existence of any surviving oldskool electronic surplus places, it's amazing what you can find hiding in a corner there, and usually stock up on fans, weird connectors etc.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-14, 15:40:

Take an empty suitcase to fill with Raspberry Pis, Pi zeros, Pi picos, Microcenter seems to be about the only place that has them at MRSP... a lot of others claim to but the shipping is mysteriously 10 or 15 higher than any same size or weight item, can't be combined and is single unit.

I have heard about a retro gaming cafe in New York somewhere but don't know much other than that.

I would look into the existence of any surviving oldskool electronic surplus places, it's amazing what you can find hiding in a corner there, and usually stock up on fans, weird connectors etc.

Good to check in advance what duties/taxes would need to be paid upon return, if OP is planning a shopping spree.

Reply 3 of 8, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2024-04-14, 16:41:

Good to check in advance what duties/taxes would need to be paid upon return, if OP is planning a shopping spree.

Up to CAD$800 per person is tax free upon returning to Canada if you're in the US for more than 48hrs. 😀

Reply 4 of 8, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting, I wouldn't associate Raspberry Pi with retro...unless I came across RetroPie.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 5 of 8, by MadMac_5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's not retro PC-related, but I would HIGHLY recommend going to the Museum Of Natural History if you can make the time to go. I didn't even come close to getting through, but it's one of the most spectacular museums I have visited!

And, if you find yourself Downtown, check out Mamoun's Falafel on St. Mark's Place. I used to go to NYC for work frequently when I lived in Boston, and it was always a delight trying out their shawarma and falafel.

Reply 6 of 8, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
UCyborg wrote on 2024-04-15, 21:06:

Interesting, I wouldn't associate Raspberry Pi with retro...unless I came across RetroPie.

There's loads of projects with them for sound, midi, video and input conversion, they're even being turned into accelerators for retro machines like the PiStorm.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 8, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-15, 21:21:

There's loads of projects with them for sound, midi, video and input conversion, they're even being turned into accelerators for retro machines like the PiStorm.

There's def plenty of retro applications where a Pi is useful. On a side note, I'm sad that despite all the retro video game console Pi cases out there, there's no mass produced retro PC cases out there. Would be neat to build like 'The MS DOS Mini' as it were.

That said, one of my favorite finds is loose PC games on CD-ROM. 'Big Boxes' go for money unless you get lucky but just 'Some random CDROM of a neat looking game' usually gets the price of 'About 5bux' and I like finding those and trying them out. They're also a lot cheaper to acquire. 😀 The problem is, a lot of retro shops simply don't touch PC due to weak demand.

Reply 8 of 8, by mtest001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MadMac_5 wrote on 2024-04-15, 21:11:

It's not retro PC-related, but I would HIGHLY recommend going to the Museum Of Natural History if you can make the time to go.

Well, if the OP is interested in seeing old techno stuff the Intrepid Museum is a good place !

https://intrepidmuseum.org/

Many planes on display, including the Concorde, a space shuttle, and you can visit a nuclear missile-carrying submarine: USS Growler.

/me love my P200MMX@225 Mhz + Voodoo Banshee + SB Live! + Sound Canvas SC-55ST = unlimited joy !