Rank
l33t

https://www.businesstoday.in/technology/news/ … 0317-2024-05-21

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 8, by cloverskull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not defending Microsoft at all here, but to clear up a lot of FUD that I've been noticing on various forums (not here, I don't think), I want to mention that this is only in WIndows for ARM that includes a specific Qualcomm chip. So, for most people, this isn't even a thing.

It's still lame, though. 😀

Reply 2 of 8, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cloverskull wrote on 2024-05-22, 08:38:

Not defending Microsoft at all here, but to clear up a lot of FUD that I've been noticing on various forums (not here, I don't think), I want to mention that this is only in WIndows for ARM that includes a specific Qualcomm chip. So, for most people, this isn't even a thing.

It's still lame, though. 😀

Specific parts (namely the recall feature and fully integrated Copilot AI) are arm only, but Copilot AI itself has been part of Bing and Windows 11 via Edge for a while now, I have it partially disabled unless I use edge for some reason. You actually cant stop it being added to Edge either and it cant be uninstalled once its on your system, even the usual work arounds via Redgedit or Gpedit cant fully turn it off or get rid of it and it will randomly undo any attempts you make to get rid of it at the next update or restart.

That said I find it to be useful for generating random art but have yet to find much use for it outside of messing around with it.

Last edited by Trashbytes on 2024-05-22, 08:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is approximately nowhere on my list of privacy concerns.

Additionally, your PC must have at least 256 GB of storage space, with 50 GB available for Recall. By default, Recall will use 25 GB, enough to store about three months of your activities.

They won't use that bandwidth sending that over the internet, when they can spy on you in much more efficient ways.

Reply 4 of 8, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2024-05-22, 08:46:

This is approximately nowhere on my list of privacy concerns.

Additionally, your PC must have at least 256 GB of storage space, with 50 GB available for Recall. By default, Recall will use 25 GB, enough to store about three months of your activities.

They won't use that bandwidth sending that over the internet, when they can spy on you in much more efficient ways.

None of it goes over the Internet or uses the cloud, its all done client side and stored client side ..this is according to MS, this is why it needs that AI chip since the AI is being run locally. Also if MS wants your info they really dont need to use AI to get it ..you do have a browser right and a phone ..yeah, MS already has your data along with Google, Apple and a dozen other data brokers.

Not saying you shouldnt do what you can to limit their access to it but you are fighting an unmoveable object here and if this truly worries you then you may need to destroy your phone, quit using the internet and email and go live off grid.

Reply 5 of 8, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-05-22, 08:49:

None of it goes over the Internet or uses the cloud, its all done client side and stored client side

For now.

Nothing that a mandatory "security update" can't fix at a later point.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 6 of 8, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-05-22, 09:04:
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-05-22, 08:49:

None of it goes over the Internet or uses the cloud, its all done client side and stored client side

For now.

Nothing that a mandatory "security update" can't fix at a later point.

Yes im sceptical of their intentions too. Though like I said if they wanted your data then they really dont need an AI to get it.

Reply 7 of 8, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They don't want the user's data. Most of the user's data is noise to a company, or noise to an intelligence agency.

But if they can get the user to accept a program that processes that data, and market this program as something new, call it something catchy, like AI. (this stuff they are advertising to do is nothing new) Then they might use it.

Then they can get a summary of what the person is doing, where they have been, what their interests are, and we can sell advertising! That's in the terms of service, of course, they can do that with their partners.

They write into the terms of service for the software, given that Microsoft always pings back home since they have an always online Windows account anyway, that they share data with themselves from your computer that is generated for quality assurance or improving the user's experience. So they learn from what the software generates anyway. It's alot smaller bits of data. But it's not the user's data. And it's anonymized.

The nice thing about not uploading the user's data, is they don't need a data center to store it, or to process it. The user pays for their own storage and the power bill for their own supercharged power hungry AI chips, which are just building in the said applications into firmware and CPU embedded algorithms. What fun. It's a great business plan to not have to pay for data centers to process data or the AI chips. Then they can just send the meta data to the NSA for safe keeping, which is paid for by taxpayers anyway.

As you know these tech people are masters of fingerprinting, they have an unmask button next to your meta data. So they will know what you've been up to and where to find you and your data at a click of a button. But the software protected your privacy. It's still ok to run, you know?

Reply 8 of 8, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the3dfxdude wrote on 2024-05-22, 13:22:
They don't want the user's data. Most of the user's data is noise to a company, or noise to an intelligence agency. […]
Show full quote

They don't want the user's data. Most of the user's data is noise to a company, or noise to an intelligence agency.

But if they can get the user to accept a program that processes that data, and market this program as something new, call it something catchy, like AI. (this stuff they are advertising to do is nothing new) Then they might use it.

Then they can get a summary of what the person is doing, where they have been, what their interests are, and we can sell advertising! That's in the terms of service, of course, they can do that with their partners.

They write into the terms of service for the software, given that Microsoft always pings back home since they have an always online Windows account anyway, that they share data with themselves from your computer that is generated for quality assurance or improving the user's experience. So they learn from what the software generates anyway. It's alot smaller bits of data. But it's not the user's data. And it's anonymized.

The nice thing about not uploading the user's data, is they don't need a data center to store it, or to process it. The user pays for their own storage and the power bill for their own supercharged power hungry AI chips, which are just building in the said applications into firmware and CPU embedded algorithms. What fun. It's a great business plan to not have to pay for data centers to process data or the AI chips. Then they can just send the meta data to the NSA for safe keeping, which is paid for by taxpayers anyway.

As you know these tech people are masters of fingerprinting, they have an unmask button next to your meta data. So they will know what you've been up to and where to find you and your data at a click of a button. But the software protected your privacy. It's still ok to run, you know?

Since its MS we wont get a choice, that what the forced hardware requirements are for Windows 11 and soon Windows 12 which I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that they will make some form of AI hardware/GPU AI mandatory, that way they can just move the integration from their laptops to the desktop and essentially do the same thing there. Im willing to bet that most if not all GPUs with AI hardware could run circles around the custom Qualcomm AI chip in these laptops.

People will just say move to Linux not realising that Linux has a ton of limitations for the average joe/gamer.

I know for a fact that both AMD and Nvidia dont support many of their GPUs features under Linux so you still require a Windows VM/machine if you want to use those features.