VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm gonna ask in the more acade centric forums too but I thought I'd ask around here first.....

Sometime in the 1992-1994 time frame in Okinawa, Japan I was at a USO. There was an arcade game in a white cabinet. The cabinet wasn't full-size like most of 'em. It was half-size. Also you had to look down at the screen.

On the screen were "life-like" characters. They would materialize on a black background. I seem to remember a cowboy character with a lasso. Mabye some desert scenery? Arrrgg, Can't really remeber much else. The game struck me because it seems so interesting and so advanced. (Of course I was used to NES/286 PC's at the time).

I guess the cabinet color/size would help most in identifying the game since I can't seem to remember much about the gameplay else....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was it a holographic kind of display? I seem to remember seeing a game like that once or twice, but never played it myself.

I remember playing a cocktail game in the mid-80s that was a space shooter with big green spoked (jack/snowflake-shaped) enemy ships. I've never been able to figure out what game that is - I sometimes wonder if I dreamed playing it in the hallway just inside the restaurant with the big Paul Bunyan statue outside in the town I grew up in as a kid (North Bend, WA - where Nintendo now has its U.S. warehouse).

Reply 2 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's it! Holograph! That's the word I was thinking of but my mind was resisting it thinking of something out of Star Trek. 😁

Looked around on the net a bit after you mentioned that and found this pic:

timetrav.jpg

Time Traveler, Sega, 1991. Developed by Rick Dyer, Time Traveler was the first of two "Hologram" games that Sega produced. The game characters appeared to be holographically projected onto the playing area. Time Traveler contained a laser disc player and a T.V. monitor that was aimed into a curved mirror. The 2-D image was reflected through the surface glass and produced an illusion of depth. The images seemed to have dimension, but the game didn't truly produce holograms.

http://www.hortonaviation.com/timetrav/ttpics.html

frontview.jpg

playfield.jpg

http://www.atarihq.com/coinops/laser/timetrav.html

timetrv01.jpg

timetrv02.jpg

timetrv05.jpg

It seems to be available on CD/DVD according to this page:

http://www.digitalleisure.com/pr/pr000511.html

Now to figure out if it's actually worth bothering to have. It's been so long since I played it I don't really know but if it's pretty much the only game I remember since 1992 (except for TMNT) it must be something. Although the graphics are probably what impressed me the most.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2005-10-16, 02:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's a good review: http://www.gamenationtv.com/reviews/timetraveler.shtml

Now to find a copy......

Reply 4 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Must be pretty cheesy if you can play it on a DVD player (as the page describes). I checked to see if MAME supports it, but it doesn't as far as I can tell.

Reply 5 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah, Game uses LaserDisc so no ROMS to download....which leads to me to wonder if any one has bothered to implement some sort of backup solution for LaserDisc. Can LaserDisc's be imaged to HD?

Reply 6 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know that some people have made some nice rips of Star Wars laserdiscs. It's not as high-resolution as even normal DVDs though. I'd say it's somewhere between VCD (mpeg1?) and DVD/SVCD. (mpeg2?). They might be digital-to-analog-to-digital rips though.