VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello. I am using WinXP SP2 and I have found out that the list of services contain several entries that are obsolete. How can I remove those entries for good?

I solved it by running services.msc and looking at the REAL NAME of the service. After that, I ran regedit, looked for these names (keys) and deleted them. Unfortunately there are some leftovers left with the name:

LEGACY_<NAME OF SERVICE> that cannot be deleted. It doesn't matter too much because the entries have been deleted from services list.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 1 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure how to uninstall a service unless it was installed via Add/Remove Programs. If you know the DLL you can try:
regsvr32 /u filename.dll

Otherwise you'll just have to set them to disabled.

Reply 2 of 7, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows XP has a command line utility called sc that let's you query information about the installed services and modify it. If you don't know the actual name of the service, list all of them with

sc query

If you want to delete a service, you can use

sc delete SERVICE_NAME

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know. But I wanted to permanently DELETE it from the services list, not just disable them.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 6 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good info - I'll have to remember that.

I did know that there was a command line tool that let you disable services in the Recovery Console, as I've used this to prevent the blue screens that can occur due to the installation of incorrect drivers.

Reply 7 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also the only thing preventing removal of the LEGACY_ keys are permissions, so if you still have rogue LEGACY_ keys laying around you can give full permissions to Administrators group and then delete them, too. But SC is a much better idea.

Yes, it’s my fault.