VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Article

Last edited by eL_PuSHeR on 2006-07-06, 08:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 1 of 8, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it means more stable code go ahead, even Microsoft has dropped support for them.

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)

Reply 2 of 8, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Stability [of FF] hasn't got much to do with it.

Besides if people are willing to hangh on to a [by comparison with today's products] crappy old OS then they can just as easily hang on to an old version of FF to go with it 😀

Reply 4 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Alot of people do 9x/XP dual-boots for compatibility. The same people doing this will probably be doing the same thing with 98/Vista dual-boots or keeping an old machine around with 98 load. When in 9x there is no reason that you should not be able to browse the net for the latest patches.

I thought I read somewhere that this would affect Firefox 3.0 and not 2.0?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 8, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

Alot of people do 9x/XP dual-boots for compatibility. The same people doing this will probably be doing the same thing with 98/Vista dual-boots or keeping an old machine around with 98 load. When in 9x there is no reason that you should not be able to browse the net for the latest patches.

I thought I read somewhere that this would affect Firefox 3.0 and not 2.0?

If they dual boot vista/9x, why not browse the net using Vista? Really I see this as a non-issue, as if security is a concern then using Win 9x just about defeats any efforts on that front.

Besides most people who still use win 9x do so for old games and programs, and theres no reason why they need the latest browsers and programs when they can just use them on their other modern PCs or dual-booted O/S.

If, by some odd reason, someone still uses 9x as their main O/S then they have to come back to reality and see that they can't expect the newest programs to still function. They chose an old O/S, then they get old programs. I don't see a problem here.

Reply 6 of 8, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's been discussion of the dropped support on the MSFN forums here, though I think it relates to slightly different issues regarding that decision.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem