Common searches

First post, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lack of members? No
Lack of knowledgeable members? No
Lack of different sub forums? No

Hmm.. wonder why vogons is so dead? I guess it's the X generation effect... we get kiddies with their dosbox problems, they want instant answers and as soon as they're solved.... poof.... they're gone.

Hmm.. I really wanna call Vogons my home for all the old DOS/PC games, but man... I dunno, guess I'm just inpatient. Guess dosgames, nor atariage, nor vintage-computer fair as well.

Guess all my games of my youth/hs days are just dying a slow death 🙁

That is all,
M.

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 2 of 14, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After some consideration, I think there are two reasons that explains easily the actual situation of DosBox:

1.- The forum is "complete". There are few games not tried or few problems not solved yet. Searching you could get any answer easily.

2.- No enough nude women in forum.

(I don't think the forum is dead, either. Maybe DOS old gamers is a closed comunity with few new members, and old DOS gamers have enough knowledge to play without problems. Only new users, or people who did not play games before Windows 95 have serious problems when facing a prompt.)

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 14, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's all my fault, I'm more of a reader then a poster..
/me hides in shame
Nah, I don't think VOGONS is dead, there's always new posts whenever I visit (only once a day I must confess).

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)

Reply 4 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We are also pretty much just a purely technical site (Fixing DosBox and helping people with their game problems). Other sites which are more gerneralized naturally get more traffic. (and lower quality posters). Also our forum design isn't as helpful for noobs. (Also by design 😉 )

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 14, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's been a long long time since I last posted in here, but I just couldn't resist as I was reading this topic. I play DOS games since my first 486(back in 1994), and to this day, those games are the only games that really get me entertained, and now with DosBox, I feel more than ever that those games will long live. Thanks for your time 😀

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 6 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't say that it is dead, either. The VDMS forums are not as active as they once were, but I think that has more to do with the fact that the level of development DOSBox has reached a point that VDMS is not really needed anymore. I know that I rarely use it anymore.

As mentioned, there is quite a bit of information accumulated here on getting a large number of games working and most newbies come here only for help with getting old games to run. This and the development of tools like DOSBox are the main propose of these boards.

As DosFreak said, this mostly a technical site. If you want old gaming chit chat go to forums like Adventure Gamers.

Reply 7 of 14, by bugs_bugger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think most of the subforums are not used well enough. The end of VDMSound did not improve this. Only look at the arcade forum. There is no traffic at all, because there are better forums to discuss arcade emulation. But, more important than the lack of traffic in many subforums:
DosBox lives!

Reply 10 of 14, by jesusshannon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'm not a young women but i'm just learning how to work a computer it takes me 10 min to type one sentence ha i like this place i'm glad i found it it's great to know theres people willing to help i dont feel as "dumb" thank you all.

Reply 11 of 14, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to come to Vogons more often to check on updates for DOSbox since the front page of the DOSbox home page is hardly ever updated. But, now that DOSbox works so dang well I don't find the need to stop by as often. I still check at least once or twice a week to see if I can help newbies with anything.

Maybe if there was some news of interesting new features in DOSbox such as 3dfx integration into the official binary or something.

Yeah, I know there is more to Vogons than DOSbox, but that is what brought me here in the first place years ago.

I guess my next dream after DOSbox is to see something like Qemu, but with all the hardware support of DOSbox. If Qemu had support better sound cards, and 3d accell (3dfx or whatever), then I can have an emulator that can run Win9x era direct3d/3dfx/opengl games. You know, stuff that does not work so well on XP and even worse yet Vista. I know it's never been a priority because some of us, myself included, keep an old win9x box around for that purpose. But someday, that machine will croak on me. While I am dreaming, I want a pony.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 12 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well DosBox will eventually support Glide.

As for 9x support I'm betting that DosBox will get that eventually....when it is needed. Which ATM it's not really.

Heck, it works now except you can only use 16 colors. :

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 14, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Vogons will never die, and to proove you all i'm right, you should go do DOS section and help me with the King's Quest post! 😁

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John