VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is driving me up the wall. I can't watch any DVDs that have Macrovision encoding on them, which I believe is because it is trying to output them to TV-out (when I tell WinDVD to close I see a brief shot of the video on my computer screen, and this is the same behaviour that occurs with WinDVD on my laptop with the TV-out being utilitised). The only problem is: I'm not using the TV-out. There isn't anything connected to it, but for whatever reason WinDVD is still outputting to it, thus making the video not show up on my computer screen. In my display CPL, the GF shows there being only the analogue (VGA) screen as a display device, and no TV device available (this is true). I tried disconnecting a S-Video cable I had running from the computer to nothing, and that seemed to solve the problem.. once. Every subsequent attempt, though, it exhibits the same problem, and I can't seem to tell it to not try outputting to TV. I'm sick of needing to rip my DVDs to hard drive with a program that gets rid of the encoding just to view them.

Ideas? I recall some time back that I had been tooling around with some tweaking programs, but none of them should have touched anything to do with TV-out.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover why doesn't anyone respond to my threads

Well, what do you want me to say? "No idea why it's doing that" ?

Seriously, I'm using PowerDVD (for the best of all possible reasons...it came free with the drive) and I've never seen this kind of symptom. All I can think of is to un-install, then re-install WinDVD. I kind of figured you would've already tried that.

Reply 3 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I *think* a solution is to fiddle with the "advanced display" (don't really know how they are called in non-German Windows) settings.
Try switching the primary output around (if that makes sense).

Reply 5 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

can you try connecting a TV and then try to switch stuff around? The problem is similar to the one I had with my laptop with an ati chip. Unfortunately ATI and NVIDIA don't use the same control software 😀

Reply 6 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can try forcing it to think that there is a TV there even though there isn't (a nifty little feature in one of the latest Detonators)... well, we'll see. I'm rather hoping to get my new heatsink installed first ~_^

Yes, it’s my fault.