VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Something I found at another forum (slighty altered to protect the blind).

jereminion Junior Member Posts: 7 dosbox help hi i need help trying to open a video game that requires dos to use..how do i […]
Show full quote

jereminion

dosbox help

hi i need help trying to open a video game that requires dos to use..how do i open the game .exe file with the dosbox? i need commands i think or something, i am totally new at this. 😜

trekkiejt Member Posts: 78 Change to the directory where the file is, type the exe file name and press enter. […]
Show full quote

trekkiejt

Change to the directory where the file is, type the exe file name and press enter.

For example if it Scorched Earth:
1. Computer boots to dos or windows exited to dos, or dos emulator running and prompts "C:\>"
2. Type dir/p/w, press Enter, and look for the dirtectory name, it will look like "[SCORCH]".
3. Type "cd scorch" and press Enter.
4. Type dir/p/w, press Enter, and look for the file that ends with ".EXE" like "SCORCH.EXE".
5. Type the file name (i.e. "SCORCH") and press Enter.
6. Enjoy.

jereminion Junior Member Posts: 7 thanks for helping but can you help in this particular situation; […]
Show full quote

jereminion

thanks for helping but can you help in this particular situation;

directory is H
im trying to open panel.exe
directory:H:\System.Shock.2.PC.Game.

also how do i change directory, currently it is at 'Z'

elroy Ultimate Member […]
Show full quote

elroy
Ultimate Member

Originally Posted by jereminion

cd\H

jereminion Junior Member Posts: 7 in responce it wrote 'Unable to change to: \h […]
Show full quote

jereminion

in responce it wrote 'Unable to change to: \h

when i put H in upper case, it just said ch\H is an illegal command

trekkiejt Member Posts: 78 First of all the "H" is called the drive letter and the directory is what comes after the "H:\", di […]
Show full quote

trekkiejt

First of all the "H" is called the drive letter and the directory is what comes after the "H:\", directory equals folder. In MSDOS long names are renamed with a tilde and a number at the end making it only 8 characters. In this case you would probably type "cd system~1" after the "H:\" and press Enter. Then just type "panel" or "panel.exe" and press enter. (When you enter a name without an extension in MSDOS it looks for the extensions ".COM", ".BAT", and ".EXE", whichever comes first is the one ran.)

trekkiejt Member Posts: 78 To change to another drive just type "h:" or "h:\" and press Enter. H usually stands for a host dri […]
Show full quote

trekkiejt

To change to another drive just type "h:" or "h:\" and press Enter. H usually stands for a host drive or a device listed after several others.

jereminion Junior Member Posts: 7 actually i got it to change directories, but when i typed 'panel.exe', it said 'Cannot run i […]
Show full quote

jereminion

actually i got it to change directories, but when i typed 'panel.exe', it said 'Cannot run in DOS mode.'

trekkiejt Member Posts: 78 Okay, what O/S are you using? If it is 2k or XP it may not work because they do not use MSDOS. […]
Show full quote

trekkiejt

Okay, what O/S are you using? If it is 2k or XP it may not work because they do not use MSDOS.

trekkiejt Member Posts: 78 That means it needs to be run in Windows. […]
Show full quote

trekkiejt

That means it needs to be run in Windows.

jereminion

i dont know what O/S means, but i am using Windows XP Professional Edition. i am aware they dont use msdos and i was seeking answers from dosbox 😳

jereminion Junior Member […]
Show full quote

jereminion

Originally Posted by trekkiejt
That means it needs to be run in Windows.

yes it works in windows, but when i try to install the game, it says 'C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application. When i press 'Ignore' instead of 'Close', it just closes the installation anyhow.

trekkiejt Member Posts: 78 O/S is Operating System which in you case is Windows XP Professional Edition. Sorry I thought you w […]
Show full quote

trekkiejt

O/S is Operating System which in you case is Windows XP Professional Edition. Sorry I thought you were using MSDOS on a "DOS Box" as in a "DOS only machine" and not a DOS emulator. Other terms like it include "Winbox", "Linbox", "Mepisbox", "Macbox", etc..

Is the game on a CD or a Hard Drive?
Find More Posts by trekkiejt

jereminion Junior Member the game is on hard drive […]
Show full quote

jereminion

the game is on hard drive

bazcor Member […]
Show full quote

bazcor

TAke a look at this... http://unodocs.nmsu.edu/RoboDocs/Web...ator/ji_05.htm

Sometimes the autoexec.nt (text) file just vanishes, happened to me a few months ago.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, only solution for these types of people (not considering putting them out of their misery of course) are services like GameTap or perhaps prepackaged DOS games with a DosBox PhysFS enabled build with a frontend already setup for them.

Otherwise we'll just keep on going this crap over and over and over and over....fun isn't it?

Of course I've noticed that if I ignore these stupid questions eventually one of the newer members of VOGONS will answer the question or if I'm feeling particularly charitable I may help out but it really does waste alot of time.

It looks like the new equvalent in Vista to the 2K/XP "'C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT" problem is the "Unable to run in fullscreen mode". This leads people to believe that there is something wrong with their computer, that needs to be fixed. When the fact is that the command prompt cannot be run in fullscreen mode with WDDM drivers.

I hate Microsoft.

Let me rephrase that.

I REALLY hate Microsoft.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, at least they were polite and able to express themselves in acceptable sentences. In my opinion a false hint is not that bad if someone more experienced can at least read the whole thing and figure out what's going on. 😉

What I hate most are those "HELP!!! game no work WTF?!" posts. Even if someone tries to decypher such garbage, it usually turns out that the one who asks is not really interested anyway.

Reply 3 of 4, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, I may be of, but what's wrong with drag'n'drop game exe on Dosbox icon? I didn't see anybody recommending it.
Altough I'm experienced user I find it easier than typing commands and such. Most of the games work that way without much tampering. 😀

Reply 4 of 4, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

😳 You gotta' be kidding.... 😳

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.