Common searches

Forum nitpick

Topic actions

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I noticed that there are three (3) topics named General and Development. This gets confusing when viewing the list of new posts, as I can't tell if a post is in the VDMSound, GliDOS, or OpenGLide section of the forums. I don't use the latter two, so I don't like to read posts there usually.

Reply 2 of 52, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, and it looks something like this:
VOGONS > Search > Thread Results

😜

I'm saying that on the Search Results page, I can't tell what forum the resulting threads are in without opening up that thread first. Takes extra time to do that, especially when I'm at home on my stupid dialup connection (maybe that's why people aren't on here as much on the weekends eh?)

Reply 8 of 52, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh for fucks sake, just rename the General and Development forums in each category so they each contain the catgegory name. eg: The General and Development forums in the VDMSound category become VDMSound General an VDMSound Development and so on. Even Snover should be able to do that...

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 9 of 52, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey, you can use Internet Explorer, just don't expect it to work correctly. 😜 And I'm impartial to Konqueror, I just haven't used it/tested it. At least people don't use the W3C's browser Amaya, that thing sucks it up bigtime.

And, if I did that, then it would look just silly.
It would be under the VDMSound category, and then it would be VDMSound General

So it would be like

VOGONS > VDMSound > VDMSound General

which is just silly.

(Yes, I am a stubborn bastard. 😉)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 10 of 52, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It wouldn't look silly, and yes you are a stubborn bastard 😜

Mozilla is yucky. MSIE is no beauty queen either, but I already have it installed (not much choice unless I want to rip it out and make XP unstable). When I did my last OS install I decided to have as few programs installed as possible that do the same things as other programs that are installed. This means that I avoid replacing built-in Windows apps with third-party stuff (with exceptions, such as Norton SpeedDisk in place of crappy Defrag). It also means that I pick the tool I like best (like DOSbox instead of Virtual PC, or WinACE instead of WinRAR)

Anyways, you're trying to get me off-topic as a diversion, aren't you? 😜

Reply 11 of 52, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mozilla? Yucky? If you mean the default skin, I agree, but there are plenty to choose from. Of course, of those, there is only one really good one: Pinball. Mmm, boy, is it ever yummy! I love this skin.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 12 of 52, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If Mozilla isn't crap now, it soon will be:

http://mozilla.org/roadmap.html

Phoenix sucks, even moreso than the regular Moz. Making it the new Moz platform is just further proof that evolution well and truly forgot the Moz developers.

Wasurenaide...

Reply 13 of 52, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:

So it would be like
VOGONS > VDMSound > VDMSound General

Can you alter how Search reports its results? Problem would be solved if Search reported "VDMSound > General" instead of just "General".

That would be best solution, but only if possible.

Reply 14 of 52, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Schadenfreude wrote:

Can you alter how Search reports its results? Problem would be solved if Search reported "VDMSound > General" instead of just "General".

That would be best solution, but only if possible.

Probably, but that would take too much work, I'd wager 😜

Snover, please don't take it personal. I love VOGONS and I just wanted to point that out because I noticed it.

Reply 15 of 52, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't take anything personally. Especially LSD's stupid comments about Mozilla being crap. We've been over this before, and he lost terribly, but he still insists on saying that Opera is the greatest thing since the beginning of time and Mozilla is a piece of shit.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 18 of 52, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't make me hurt you.

I can see how you'd think Mozilla might not be the greatest thing if

• You're running on a really slow CPU
  • You don't have much RAM
  • You don't have Quick Launch turned on (just in case you were wondering, Microsoft does this with their products, just behind your back -- that's why Windows appears to take up so much RAM and takes a while to load)
  • You're using the default skin (uuuugly! get Pinball!)
  • You haven't taken the time to configure it
  • You like spyware like Alexa and Gator
  • You WANT to get an X10 spycam

Honestly, configuring the thing will probably make you happier than anything. Pop-up blocking has been added to its own little section of the control panel and you will get a little icon on your status bar if a pop-up is blocked. Click on it and you get the option to allow pop-ups from that site. It's quite spiffy.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 19 of 52, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

• You're running on a really slow CPU

Opera runs fine on slow CPUs, why can't Moz?

• You don't have much RAM

see above.

• You don't have Quick Launch turned on (just in case you were wondering, Microsoft does this with their products, just behind your back -- that's why Windows appears to take up so much RAM and takes a while to load)

Even with Quick Launch enabled, Opera still starts faster than Moz.

• You're using the default skin (uuuugly! get Pinball!)

You call that a decent skin? If that's you idea of good looking...

• You haven't taken the time to configure it

Is there anything that will make browsing with feel less like you could get out and walk to the web server and retrieve the page yourself faster than Mozilla can fetch it for you?

• You like spyware like Alexa and Gator

What spyware? I've run ad-aware dozens of times and it hasn't found anything that wasn't put there by programs like KaZaA or DivX.

• You WANT to get an X10 spycam

Say what? I've been using the free version of Opera for nearly three years and I barely notice the ad banner. It's not like it sits in the middle of the screen, if you spend most of your browsing time starting at the top right of the browser window then there must be something seriously wrong with you...

Wasurenaide...