VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It seems a member of X-Wing's development team decided to add and correct some things in the X-Wing wikipedia article. Interesting stuff!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_X-Wing

Reply 4 of 5, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think everybody writes more or less at least a little bit biased, but in this article this goes over the top.

I played and liked both games a lot. Sure, X-Wing has a few more functions and in-flight configuration options than the original Wing Commander game, but only because it is newer and they learned from earlier games (be it Wing Commander or others).
The claim, that X-Wing is much more 'realistic' than Wing Commander which is degraded in the article as a simple action game, is ridiculous - in my opinion.

(Comparing to real physics both games are equally unrealistic.)

Reply 5 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, the realism argument is one I remember from back when the two games were competing though. X-Wing does have a much less rigid feel to its mechanics. Personally, I think anyone who ignores either series is just robbing themselves of a lot of fun though.

My fav space game mechanics are in the Newtonian-based IWAR. Wow! But I can see why controls like that have been largely avoided; it can be very complex to fly. IWAR has "helper" mechanisms though, which in itself is another layer of complexity to the game. Do you fly with the helper computer or fly manually? 😀