VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

this area seems the best spot for this. (move a necessary.)

hi, i was wondering if anyone here has ever had there CPU replaced due to thermal issues. Apparently we failed to install the heat sink on my CPU correctly which ultimately resulted in it burning out.

Apparently you had to apply enough pressure on the 4 pins for a very loud 'CRACK' noise to be heard and the motherboard should end up bent (buckled?) around it. We only applied enough pressure till we heard a click for each pin and tested and found the heat sink to sit snug.

the CPU heat sink must have fallen off (well it hung loosely) recently because it would explain the severe jump in CPU temperature i noted in diagnostic tools (jumped from 27 degrees up to 40 degrees Celsius).

who here has been in a similar situation and needed the part replaced under warranty? was it hard getting it replaced? how did you go about to get it replaced?

thank you for (attempting to?) reading this.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 1 of 4, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the issue with the CPU has been solved.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 2 of 4, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am glad you got your issue resolved. Most of the dealers here in the US will not take back a CPU if it has been damaged due to overheating or improper heat sink installation, so I hope you were lucky in that respect.

To be honest, 40C isn't all that hot. Most have to get over 70C before actual damage occurs. I never had to use that much force to install an Intel heatsink, though AMD was another story, especially the early model Athlons. They required quite a bit of force to install. I saw one person put a screwdriver through a motherboard when trying to press down on the clip and the screwdriver slipped. On those, if you heard the loud crack that you described, it would have meant that you had cracked the CPU core.

Reply 3 of 4, by simonecuttlefish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a mate with really bad CPU overheating - he had a good sink and it was fitted correctly. We discovered he had DROWNED the CPU in heat-sink-goo instead of a really really thin film - we cleaned it off, put a tiny thin film on and it worked beautifully - prolly not helpful but something good to remember - there IS too much of a good thing : )

Reply 4 of 4, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yea, the CPU.wasn't damaged. heh the thermal paste was dried up and looked like scorch marks 😉 but ended up just wiping it off and put a new coat on and now it works.

the CPU heatsink which was hanging by 2 pins instead of 4 was very loose but still positioned over the CPU so i think the fan itself was enough to keep it cool during the period it was used when 2 pins came undone.

my website