Bought these games today

Topic actions

Reply 1840 of 1943, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joakim wrote on 2023-10-03, 15:44:

You guys who buy a lot of games, have no noticed a significant increase in prices lately? I have a feeling priced has almost doubled the last few years.

People start realising all the digital store copys are gone some day... Or updated into a version they dont enjoy anymore.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 1841 of 1943, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I mostly think about big box copies. I'm not a collector per day but I like to have some games in big box. Maybe have 20. Some that I just bought to trade for others later.

My most recent purchase actually not very expensive but I liked the box art:

Attachments

Reply 1842 of 1943, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You guys who buy a lot of games, have no noticed a significant increase in prices lately? I have a feeling priced has almost doubled the last few years.

I haven't noticed any price increase, but I've been looking at nearly exclusively PC games at my local selling site. The highly sought for games have been more or less as expensive as they were few years ago while the cheap suff is still as cheap. What I have noticed is the amount of eBay style swindlers with laughable prices have increased a bit.

No idea what's been happening with classic console games, but they left all sense and reason behind a long time ago anyway.

Reply 1843 of 1943, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sombrero wrote on 2023-10-03, 16:27:

I haven't noticed any price increase, but I've been looking at nearly exclusively PC games at my local selling site. The highly sought for games have been more or less as expensive as they were few years ago while the cheap suff is still as cheap. What I have noticed is the amount of eBay style swindlers with laughable prices have increased a bit.

No idea what's been happening with classic console games, but they left all sense and reason behind a long time ago anyway.

Ok it might be in my head. I guess they try to drive the prices up by putting fake high priced games.

Yes, SNES prices are crazy especially.

Reply 1844 of 1943, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I think there was an average of 40% price increase since before COVID.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 1845 of 1943, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dungeon Lords: Collector's Edition
I know this game is reviled, but I'm a fan of D.W. Bradley's work with the Wizardry series, and the version of this game available on Steam is actually quite different from the original game (the class system was completely revamped). Fans of the game generally prefer the CE, so I thought I'd seek out a physical copy of the game. It was cheap on Ebay (complete with case, manual and map!), so I bought it.

It actually installs and runs fine on Win 10, which is nice. I don't know when I'll get around to playing this for real, but I started it up and played around a bit, and it seems like a decent enough action RPG. I think the graphics have actually aged pretty well, honestly.

Reply 1846 of 1943, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joakim wrote on 2023-10-03, 16:15:

I mostly think about big box copies. I'm not a collector per day but I like to have some games in big box. Maybe have 20. Some that I just bought to trade for others later.

That is one hell of a weird boxart. The Krynn games are out of order and Pools of Darkness is grouped in with the Savage Frontier games which makes no sense 🤣..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1847 of 1943, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2023-10-12, 14:24:
Joakim wrote on 2023-10-03, 16:15:

That is one hell of a weird boxart. The Krynn games are out of order and Pools of Darkness is grouped in with the Savage Frontier games which makes no sense 🤣..

That's funny. I had no idea but I'm not a DnD scholar. 😀

Tried the first game but I don't think I can ever get into this old school top town battle system sadly. I guess you had to be there when it was new.

Before I shut it down I realized I had accidently activated auto battle mode and my entire party was either dead or unconscious but I was still walking around town. I thought that was really funny 🤣

Reply 1848 of 1943, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I won't have time to try all of them until at least Friday.

IMG_20231016_173110.jpg
Filename
IMG_20231016_173110.jpg
File size
1.18 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Wizardry 8 - I already had it as bundleware, wanted a full retail version. Came with a fairly thick, but damaged manual.
The Witcher - The international (English) version. Pro: It didn't come with the awful localized dubs. Con: The manual is only two sheets of paper and nothing that comes with the localized version.
The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition - International (English) version. Pro: It didn't come with the awful localized dubs. Con: No manual and nothing that comes with the localized version.
Crysis - Localized version, meaning localized cover, manual and subtitles. It can be a pain in the ass for localized games to find patches for them.
Battlefield 2142 - With manual an ad sheet for EAX, and an ad booklet about EAs other contemporary games. This is the only one I tried. The menu is awfully slow. Probably keep trying to connect to servers. Maybe I'll have to crack it.
Command & Conquer Generals Deluxe - Round 3. I already bought this once ask for a replacement. Both of them had damaged second discs for the base game. Different parts were damaged so there was a workaround to install the game, but still less than ideal.
Halo Combat Evolved - With manual. Never played this one but always was curious.
Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault - The entry everyone hates, but I liked back then. English version with manual.
Legendary - An okay FPS from an era of legendary games. I had it on Steam and also had a budget copy. Now an earlier version with a manual.

Reply 1850 of 1943, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Command & Conquer Generals was a cool game. I think I only tried the demo or something. If I remember correctly it came out close to bf1942 or something similar so no one played it online.

Reply 1851 of 1943, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So far I tested C&C, Halo, MoH and Crysis, they all work.

Joakim wrote on 2023-10-16, 19:15:

Command & Conquer Generals was a cool game. I think I only tried the demo or something. If I remember correctly it came out close to bf1942 or something similar so no one played it online.

Yeah, they were something like half a year apart, but I don't think they were competing. RTS and FPS are just two different market. Though I didn't have internet back then so for me it was an easy pick.

Reply 1852 of 1943, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

C&C: Red Alert 2 - Yuri’s Revenge

YR1.jpg
Filename
YR1.jpg
File size
331.15 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
YR2.jpg
Filename
YR2.jpg
File size
339.94 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

My C&C collection is now complete, Yuri’s Revenge was the last one I wanted. Out of the C&C's I like it's the only one I haven't yet beaten, actually I've never even tried it so I see a RA2+YR playthrough in my very near future.

I might still one day end up getting the original DOS release of Command & Conquer if I see one in nice shape and low price, I already have the later Win95 640x400 release which I prefer. I'm not a collector and try to limit myself only getting games I will actually play, I've managed to hold on to that rule well but damn has it tested my self control at times.

Reply 1853 of 1943, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sombrero wrote on 2023-10-19, 15:59:
C&C: Red Alert 2 - Yuri’s Revenge […]
Show full quote

C&C: Red Alert 2 - Yuri’s Revenge

YR1.jpg
YR2.jpg

My C&C collection is now complete, Yuri’s Revenge was the last one I wanted. Out of the C&C's I like it's the only one I haven't yet beaten, actually I've never even tried it so I see a RA2+YR playthrough in my very near future.

I might still one day end up getting the original DOS release of Command & Conquer if I see one in nice shape and low price, I already have the later Win95 640x400 release which I prefer. I'm not a collector and try to limit myself only getting games I will actually play, I've managed to hold on to that rule well but damn has it tested my self control at times.

C&c 2 was a fine game. Not as impressive as the first but still a good game. In multiplayer it was too focused on reaching the Doomsday device though. But maybe im wrong, I was always more of an FPS guy.

Reply 1854 of 1943, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joakim wrote on 2023-10-20, 19:36:

C&c 2 was a fine game. Not as impressive as the first but still a good game. In multiplayer it was too focused on reaching the Doomsday device though. But maybe im wrong, I was always more of an FPS guy.

Not to be the "actually" guy, but Tiberian Sun is C&C2.

To me personally Red Alert 2 is pretty much the best RTS ever made or so I at least remember thinking of it, haven't played it in a while so we'll see does that still hold true. Never did much play it in multiplayer, I only remember playing against a friend once as soviets and getting my massive apocalypse tank army utterly vaporized by his prism tank army and that was that 😆

Reply 1856 of 1943, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got a "placeholder" Test Drive Off Road game disk. I might consider it a minor quest to collect all the Test Drive games... I might not. I like drving/racing in general tho, even if this was not a super high rated one.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1857 of 1943, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I feel like I spent a good $10 today.

IMG_2494.jpg
Filename
IMG_2494.jpg
File size
1.56 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Both seem to be mostly complete, which is rather nice.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 1858 of 1943, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BetaC wrote on 2023-10-25, 04:55:

IMG_2494.jpg

Absolutely underrated games, I thoroughly enjoyed finishing both.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1859 of 1943, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2023-10-25, 18:30:
BetaC wrote on 2023-10-25, 04:55:

IMG_2494.jpg

Absolutely underrated games, I thoroughly enjoyed finishing both.

Yeah, I enjoyed them last time I made my way through them. Though I think my most recent pickup will be more universally praised. It's also got most of the inserts, only missing the jewel case.

IMG_2507s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2507s.jpg
File size
415.16 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png