VOGONS

Common searches

Bought these games today

Topic actions

Reply 321 of 1949, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought myself a sealed big box copy of Driver 1 on ebay. It's actually the only big box copy I could find. I know it's sealed but I'm probably going to open it, since the box isn't in the best shape and it's not like I'm going to sell it at any point. I'll make a really clean slit though so I can open the flap and still preserve the shrink wrap.

X7iu8l.jpg

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 322 of 1949, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Went to the bookstore after class today to kill some time before I met with somebody (check the "Bought these retro hardware" thread 😉 ) and picked up a copy of Tribes 2 and a beat up but complete boxed copy of FEAR for $8 and some odd cents. Been mildly interested in FEAR for awhile but never bothered to buy it on Steam, and I've enjoyed playing Tribes Ascend with friends, so I figured I'd check out 2.

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 323 of 1949, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Armada Wing Commander
Academy
Startrek 25th Anniversary - Hopefully, this time, the game will come with the damn manual... I have THREE boxes now.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=11629767

Price was right. $15 total with S/H

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 324 of 1949, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

lunatik.JPG

Bought Lunatik some days ago. It was a cancelled game that later resurfaced as a bundle with the ATI Rage All-In-Wonder card. Wanted to test it out and also see if it was ATICIF supported. Turns out it only supports Direct3D. Here are some info from one of the developers:

Yeah I wrote the 3D engine for the Playstation version of the game. Both the PC and PS1 version of the game was canned by Eidos (although the PC version did come out in a limited form as a showcase for a graphics card). Basically there was a massive lack of direction with the game, nobody really knew how to make the game they'd talked about in the press/to the publisher. It was my first job in the industry, so I was very much playing follow-my-lead to the lead PC programmer (who was one of the directors). I wrote a bitch-ass fast renderer to try and keep up with the PC version, and I think the overall the tech was there, but the game wasn't. So it was canned. Edge (which is where I assume you read it) are well known for blowing up the significance of a game, when they were talking about it as thing being the savour of all gaming, it was barely off the ground. I think it could have been a decent game, and maybe if I knew then what I knew now then maybe I could have suggested a direction, but that's life.
He also mentioned that the Saturn version was canned first. louthy was also kind enough to comment on the game's screenshots. Be sure to check 'em out.

So there you have it. Only a limited PC version bundled with ATI's graphics card was published so all you hardcore Playstation and Saturn collectors can sleep easily.

EDIT: Just tested the game. I'm fairly impressed with the graphics, especially since the game was scheduled for release in 1997. Though it is quite apparent this was only released as a tech demo. There are sound bugs and the UI seems very incomplete. No options menu....

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 326 of 1949, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

2012-12-01%2013.21.23.jpg

A bit hard to get for a OK price, but I found it finally it a price I was willing to pay. I needed to get this S3 Virge supported game 😀

The funny thing, is that inside the box, a S3 Virge DX card was included 🤣 Probably been left over from the previous owner.
I am amazed over the soundtrack, it kicks ass! Why don't they make so much awesome soundtracks in today's games? Everything gotta be orchestral these days.

Reply 327 of 1949, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
memsys wrote:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/memsys/Unrealphoto.jpg […]
Show full quote

Unrealphoto.jpg

My latest purchase Unreal + expansion

Me wantz 🤣!

I never seen the Na Pali expansion pack in the shops nor in second hand shops. I do have the dvd version of it, but it's not the same.

Nice find!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 330 of 1949, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it wasn't bought today, but it went missing a long time ago... Turned out my brother took it with him when he moved, along with some other cds.

So, an old friend returns. 😁

wlzo1s.jpg

Reply 331 of 1949, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is btw the 1-track version of the game which was bundled with the Apocalypse 3D (PCX1) and is the rarest. The 3-track version has a different PowerVR logo and has CD number: 10P59. I own both so can confirm this.

Reply 332 of 1949, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

That is btw the 1-track version of the game which was bundled with the Apocalypse 3D (PCX1) and is the rarest. The 3-track version has a different PowerVR logo and has CD number: 10P59. I own both so can confirm this.

I played this countless hours. I just need to install the Apocalypse in the Pentium Pro Machine and put my foot on the gas.

Reply 334 of 1949, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been going a bit crazy on the game buying lately; I have a list of 'em that I want in my collection and I'm slowly getting there. These pics of from eBay so apologies for the varying sizes and quality.

Network Q Rally, the best rally game I’ve played. It looks / sounds great, and just does it for me for some reason. This pic doesn’t do it justice, it’s a beautiful big box with everything included
rally_zpsa2931324.jpg

Syndicate Plus, brand new. This is a game that I dabbled with as a kid, but I didn’t really get it. Like most of my games back then it was pirated, so I didn’t have a manual or even the sounds setup program.
synd_zpseeab7301.jpg

Comanche CD, also brand new. Includes the expansion, etc. Yay!
com_zps52d87a4c.jpg

Prince of Persia
prince_zpsafe8fd38.jpg

Outlaws, new in box. I remember playing a demo of this when it came out, but my PC couldn’t handle the SVGA. I’m playing this currently and it’s fantastic, but the 2.5D perspective gives me motion sickness after a while – never had that before.
outlaws_zpsbb0d3299.jpg

Ironman, super off road racer. I have fond memories of my brother and I playing this on my father’s 386.
ironman_zpsf452aad9.jpg

Fredrick Pohl’s Gateway. I’ve played this a bit and it’s very cool. ‘Gateway’ the book is one of my favourites.
gateway_zpsb7221f37.jpg

Command & Conquer. I wasted many hours on this back in the day.
comand_zps2bad52b7.jpg

Bioforge
bio_zps54e685c0.jpg

X-Wing, floppy version. I know there’s an enhanced CD version out there but this is the version I played and loved as a kid, and that was with no manual or joystick.
xwing_zps6ecd6152.jpg

4D sports boxing. Great game, payed way too much for it though.
4d_zps01c4224d.jpg

The Ultimate RPG archives. This includes some classics like Wasteland, Ultima Underworld, etc.
rpg_zpsdb1b3bc6.jpg

Top on my list now is Stunts (4D driving), but this is proving very difficult to track down. I’m keeping an eye out for any Apogee games, System Shock (1 and 2), and Alone in the Dark, but these are proving hard to find at a decent price. People trying to sell System Shock for 100 bucks plus are having a laugh, hopefully these games will be released on GOG and deflate those silly prices.

Reply 335 of 1949, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmofo wrote:

Network Q Rally, the best rally game I’ve played. It looks / sounds great, and just does it for me for some reason.

I have to admit that i am a huge fan of this game too! Fantastic game for it's time!

Reply 337 of 1949, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmofo wrote:
I've been going a bit crazy on the game buying lately; I have a list of 'em that I want in my collection and I'm slowly getting […]
Show full quote

I've been going a bit crazy on the game buying lately; I have a list of 'em that I want in my collection and I'm slowly getting there. These pics of from eBay so apologies for the varying sizes and quality.

Network Q Rally, the best rally game I’ve played. It looks / sounds great, and just does it for me for some reason. This pic doesn’t do it justice, it’s a beautiful big box with everything included
rally_zpsa2931324.jpg

Syndicate Plus, brand new. This is a game that I dabbled with as a kid, but I didn’t really get it. Like most of my games back then it was pirated, so I didn’t have a manual or even the sounds setup program.
synd_zpseeab7301.jpg

com_zps52d87a4c.jpg

Prince of Persia
prince_zpsafe8fd38.jpg

Outlaws, new in box. I remember playing a demo of this when it came out, but my PC couldn’t handle the SVGA. I’m playing this currently and it’s fantastic, but the 2.5D perspective gives me motion sickness after a while – never had that before.
outlaws_zpsbb0d3299.jpg

Ironman, super off road racer. I have fond memories of my brother and I playing this on my father’s 386.
ironman_zpsf452aad9.jpg

Fredrick Pohl’s Gateway. I’ve played this a bit and it’s very cool. ‘Gateway’ the book is one of my favourites.
gateway_zpsb7221f37.jpg

Command & Conquer. I wasted many hours on this back in the day.
comand_zps2bad52b7.jpg

Bioforge
bio_zps54e685c0.jpg

X-Wing, floppy version. I know there’s an enhanced CD version out there but this is the version I played and loved as a kid, and that was with no manual or joystick.
xwing_zps6ecd6152.jpg

4d_zps01c4224d.jpg

The Ultimate RPG archives. This includes some classics like Wasteland, Ultima Underworld, etc.
rpg_zpsdb1b3bc6.jpg

Top on my list now is Stunts (4D driving), but this is proving very difficult to track down. I’m keeping an eye out for any Apogee games, System Shock (1 and 2), and Alone in the Dark, but these are proving hard to find at a decent price. People trying to sell System Shock for 100 bucks plus are having a laugh, hopefully these games will be released on GOG and deflate those silly prices.

That is an awesome haul. 😁

Reply 338 of 1949, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmofo wrote:

Thats Comanche Maximum Overkill yeah? I owned that game but never really got the hang of it back in high school!

badmofo wrote:

How good was this game? That was the game with the nitro's wasn't it? If I recall correctly it supported 64 colour EGA?

badmofo wrote:

It's worth it for the memories you had with your childhood. I remember getting such a massive beefy boxer and spending so many hours training him up!

Reply 339 of 1949, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmofo wrote:

[...] hopefully these games will be released on GOG and deflate those silly prices.

I highly doubt this will happen (deflation of prices). Collectors don't care if a game has a 5$ GOG release, they still want the fully boxed version and that price is determined by other factors. A re-release digital or not plays little role to the price of the collectible original, it only helps those that want to play the game and don't care about collections.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website