Common searches

Bought these games today

Topic actions

Reply 400 of 1949, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Eradicator is not bad actually and has some terrible/hilarious FMV at the start... "WE'RE ALL DYING, HELP US!". It's just that Duke 3D makes all the other FPS of that time look sub-par.

Latest <£5 eBay acquisition. The best games always come from people who have had them lying in a cupboard for the last 20 years. This one came with some period adverts too. PC games were expensive in 1990s money!

img20130517125826.th.jpg
img20130517132904.th.jpg
img20130517132723.th.jpg

Reply 401 of 1949, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I picked this up the other day in a junk lot for 20 bucks – this is the local (AU) version of Duke 3D which – due to our ridiculous game rating system – had the adult content option locked off. When I bought it back in the day, the guy in the store hinted that I should have a dig around in the duke3d.exe with a HEX editor. I did and managed to get the good stuff turned back on again. This copy, I was interested to find, came with a patch to do that job – complete with instructions!

IMG_3546_zps2f451989.jpg

Here’s the note from the distributor which attempts to avoid calls from all those distraught 15 year olds who played the demo, only to find the full version hamstrung.

IMG_3548_zps96956a57.jpg

Here’s the patch to give Duke his balls back.

IMG_3551_zpse25886fb.jpg

It also had a bonus content disk included which was nice surprise.

IMG_3549_zps325f7263.jpg

Also included in the junk lot was Actua Soccer, MS Train sim, and The Need For Speed SE – yay.

IMG_3544_zpsb25fe30d.jpg

And after years of searching for System Shock at a decent price I managed to pick up this nice Big Box copy of the floppy version. It’s complete and in great condition, but sadly the 9th disk (9 disks!) had some bad sectors and the installer would fail to unpack the LZA’s. But thanks to Aideka and the Great Hierophant I was able to restore the files and am back in action. Very happy to have this finally.

IMG_3518_zps053fbb76.jpg

IMG_3519_zpsa1dcfec8.jpg

IMG_3521_zps037dbe4a.jpg

Reply 403 of 1949, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm going the classic route. The manual suggests that it's a mouse driven game, so I'm going to try play it as the devs intended. The interface, from what I've seen so far, suggest that it's more of an adventure game than a frenetic4 action game.

Yes I took a look at the CD version a while back but I'm happy with the original, VGA release with no voice acting.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 405 of 1949, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

The CD-ROM version is miles better. Funny that you should mention System Shock, I recently got a boxed copy of System Shock 2, quite a bargain too at 30 euro.

Does the CD version still have the General Midi option for music, or is it red book?

System Shock 2 is another game I've been waiting patiently for. I ain't paying more than $25 bucks for it though so I might be waiting a long time!

Reply 407 of 1949, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, System Shock CD-ROM does not use Redbook. GM and FM music and all that jazz. Also, it typically allows for SVGA at 640x400 and 640x480. There's a patch out there that allows you to do 1024x768 (and even 1280x1024 AFAIK) with it. It looks amazing that way. But the greatest, by far, addition in the CD-ROM version is the inclusion of voices. All of the logs are now spoken and it just makes the game that much atmospheric. Not to mention hearing the voice of SHODAN which can send quite a few chills up your spine!
Here's what Warren Spector, the producer of the game, has said about it:
"I wish I could go back and make the decision not to ship the floppy version months before the full-speech CD version. The additional audio added so much it might as well have been a different game. The CD version seemed so much more, well, modern. And the perception of Shock was cemented in the press and in people's minds by the floppy version (the silent movie version!). I really think that cost us sales..."

I don't think that's quite it though, IMHO System Shock lost sales because people thought it was a Doom clone thanks to marketing. I haven't been able to beat it, but man that game was amazing for its time. Absolutely phenomenal.
System Shock 2 is quite different, but I think overall it is a better game in a lot of ways and a very scary one too, a few times too many I have shit my pants playing that game. xD

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your boxed copy? I've been looking for one at a reasonable price for quite a while now.

Reply 408 of 1949, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very interesting, thanks for the quote from Warren. I'll go with the floppy version for now and keep an eye out for the CD version, if they're "completely different games" then I'd better play both 😜

The urge to market things as a DOOM clone must have been hard to resist at the time but they were shooting themselves in the foot, oh well.

And I paid $25AUD (+ postage): http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151043269599?ssPag … 984.m1497.l2649

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 409 of 1949, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SS2 is available on GOG.com, so I'm holding out for the first version 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 411 of 1949, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

just bought these unopened Microsoft fiascos

Realms of Arkania 3 which is not from Microsoft and I have never played it so I have no idea apart from being a RPG

And a climbing simulation? W-T-F !! bought all this just because they were like 4 dollars each
p1020156t.jpg

Gex?! I think there were a PS version of this? I don't have a game pad and I'm not planing getting one, so probably will never play any of these two.

p1020157v.jpg

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 413 of 1949, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

Woah, Gex! I've been looking for a boxed copy for ages! Where did you find it!?

In a local retail PC store, they have loads of Microsoft games, they still have a few boxed Gex, along with many other games from the era, apparently they bought a bulk of outdated MS software and selling them as "nostalgia".
PM if you are interested in something.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 414 of 1949, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got these 2 old PC games lately being a big Resident Evil fan (left the japanese PowerVR PC version of Biohazard and right the UK PC version of Resident Evil 3 Nemesis) and I also have the US PC version of Resident Evil 2 Platinum and UK version of Resident Evil 1 for the PC incoming this week probably.

Biohazard came directly from japan used but in excellent mint condition with manual and everything execpt the big box. Unfortunately I can't run it as it only runs on PowerVR cards and I made a separate thread only adressing this issue.

Resident Evil 3 Nemesis is very easy to track down on Ebay co uk and was really cheap, also in mint conditions with manual and stuff but not in the big box. You can run it on Windows 7 64 bit with ease !

Overall great PC games for my RE collection ^^

IMG_0616_zps6b5b509d.jpg[/URL]

IMG_0617_zps3e665845.jpg[/URL]

Reply 415 of 1949, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just added Overlord and Supremacy: Your Will Be Done. The same game with different titles. Both on 3x 3.5" disks. Disks 2 & 3 of Supremacy produced an error when copying files. I could still run it but the visual parts of the interface were broken. Fortunately the Overlord files were a suitable replacement.

Reply 416 of 1949, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been working my way through the complete library of CGW magazine thanks to the amazing efforts to scan them all here:

http://www.cgwmuseum.org/

I donated to the cause and was sent the whole lot on DVD, which I promptly loaded onto my iPad and can easily browse them at my leisure. Anyway it's a great source of information on period games and hardware and they loved "Red Baron", which I've never played before. A quick eBay search turned up "Sierra Award Winners as selected by Computer Gaming World"!

IMG_3617_zpsde5d1aa4.jpg

IMG_3609_zps2d19afe5.jpg

IMG_3612_zps05f1bcee.jpg

IMG_3611_zps1c1c4db0.jpg

I've also been on the look out for Rise of the Dragon so I was very happy with this lot.

Reply 417 of 1949, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just got Three Dirty Dwarves on PC sealed in box. Kinda ashamed I want to open it up 😀

image06112013201748.jpg
image06112013201731.jpg

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 418 of 1949, by ik777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In my country today, a retro game market supervised by Neodong who developed zemmix neo (http://kotaku.com/diehard-fans-in-korea-made- … e-its-498066549) was held.

Lots of old retro games were traded, I got a "big" one. Much cheaper than ebay. (almost $75)

dscn1354.jpg

dscn1353.jpg

dscn1351.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOUKYUUSEI-2-EXTRA-BO … =item5ae571df7f

Same as this one.

Attachments

• Filename
    DSCN1351.JPG
    File size
    532.96 KiB
    Downloads
    6 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    DSCN1353.JPG
    File size
    481.79 KiB
    Downloads
    6 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    DSCN1354.JPG
    File size
    555.66 KiB
    Downloads
    7 downloads
    File license
Last edited by ik777 on 2013-06-23, 11:27. Edited 2 times in total.