Common searches

Bought these games today

Topic actions

Reply 881 of 1920, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

I have never seen this box art for Descent. What version is this and why is the box art so different? 😲

This is the European box art. The US box art is different.

Reply 882 of 1920, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Huh. I have never ever seen this before, I thought they used the same or at least similar boxart around here. What a terrible cover for the game this is, it's just completely unrelated to the game. 🤣

Anyway, I'll know what to look for now and will probably avoid the European version while searching for boxed copies of the game 😁.

Reply 885 of 1920, by Api

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Runes... mmm... Anyway, got Duke Nukem 3D. Damn it's nice.

tXB3zvU.jpg

IntelSE440BX-2 256MB PII-300 Rage128 Voodoo2 SLI Vortex2 SB32 Win98SE
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe 1GB Athlon XP2400+/XP3000+ Radeon 9600XT
FIC PT-2000 P120 Matrox Millennium 2MB Orchid Righteous 3d

Reply 888 of 1920, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Went into one of my regular thrift / secondhand shops yesterday. Usually this one has next to nothing for gaming / computer / electronics stuff (I was looking for jeans & interesting vinyl.) So I was pretty stoked to find these in a bin of "5 for $1" CDs. 20c each!

soundtracks1.jpg
Filename
soundtracks1.jpg
File size
249.61 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
soundtracks2.jpg
Filename
soundtracks2.jpg
File size
359.38 KiB
Views
File license
soundtracks3.jpg
Filename
soundtracks3.jpg
File size
403.85 KiB
Views
File license
soundtracks4.jpg
Filename
soundtracks4.jpg
File size
450.61 KiB
Views
File license
soundtracks5.jpg
Filename
soundtracks5.jpg
File size
269.85 KiB
Views
File license

They are soundtracks, not game discs. I didn't even know Red Alert got a CD OST release. Makes me want to hunt down the one for the original C&C (although a lot of the tracks are the same!)

The covers / insert design on both is really nice. The Wipeout insert is a multi-page book with profiles on all the artists they featured and a little advert for the PS1 game. Unfortunately Cold Storage isn't listed (no tracks by him on the disc.)

If you expand the pics they should be in high-enough res to read all the text. 😉

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 889 of 1920, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Damnit, I meant to put this in the "bought these games today" thread, but I there's no way to move the post without re-upping all the attachments (and I'm on my 3G.) Oops.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 890 of 1920, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

15 US Dollars worth of fun... Refurbished discs. (cleaned from fingerprints and other greasy stuff)

Game01.jpg
Game02.jpg
Game03.jpg

Last edited by brostenen on 2016-02-29, 18:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 891 of 1920, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dexter311 wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

I have never seen this box art for Descent. What version is this and why is the box art so different? 😲

This is the European box art. The US box art is different.

True that.... This version was sold in Denmark too.
When they did one of those "Value" editions (platinum, gold, whatever they tended to call a re-release), they used the US boxart.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 892 of 1920, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

^^ Damnit, I meant to put this in the "bought these games today" thread, but I there's no way to move the post without re-upping all the attachments (and I'm on my 3G.) Oops.

Moved.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 893 of 1920, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb in a big box, still factory sealed.

emperor01.jpg
Filename
emperor01.jpg
File size
106.85 KiB
Views
File license

Doing a bit of googling, and I can't seem to find ANY indication of this game having been released in a big box, which makes me think it could be quite scarce. Do any other LucasArts collectors have a big box version of this game?

Here is a pic for size comparison ->

emperor02.jpg
Filename
emperor02.jpg
File size
260.19 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 894 of 1920, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It was quite late in the piece, but by then there were still a lot of LucasArts games being released in big boxes. But given that it's a thinner box (about the width of Atlantis by the looks of it), then it is most probably a so-called "lite" big box with nothing but a jewel case inside. I have quite a few of these from that time, like Star Wars Empire at War and the Battlefront games.

Nice find though! Fits right in with any LucasArts collection!

Reply 895 of 1920, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool, I thought that one was DVD case only. There's a big box for Infernal Machine too. Latterly it seems that the manuals fitted into the front of the jewel case, so I guess they could get away with a smaller box.

Reply 896 of 1920, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Infernal Machine should be a big box anyhow as it was released in -99. I know that Operation Flashpoint was one of the first DVD case games I ever bought and it was summer -01. I'm sure there were a few others before that. Even Daikatana was a big box and it came out in -00.

Reply 897 of 1920, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjt wrote:

Cool, I thought that one was DVD case only. There's a big box for Infernal Machine too. Latterly it seems that the manuals fitted into the front of the jewel case, so I guess they could get away with a smaller box.

I just own this title in big box, so I can confirm... found in a local flea market.

Reply 898 of 1920, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sf78 wrote:

Infernal Machine should be a big box anyhow as it was released in -99. I know that Operation Flashpoint was one of the first DVD case games I ever bought and it was summer -01. I'm sure there were a few others before that. Even Daikatana was a big box and it came out in -00.

Big boxes were around even longer than that. My copy of Neverwinter Nights is a traditional big box (from 2002), and of course Warcraft III came out in a proper big box.