b51ba3df-a45f-46e3-96fa-d2a063b7078eiusb_06101.jpg

Has all of the trimmings.

if the account is still available you get unlimited free nick changes

Reply 1704 of 1906, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought another copy of FEAR for €1. I don't really need it, but it's a great game I now got for a great price and pickings are quite slim these days where I live.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1705 of 1906, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-06-25, 14:03:

Bought another copy of FEAR for €1. I don't really need it, but it's a great game I now got for a great price and pickings are quite slim these days where I live.

A couple of years ago I installed the Steam version and was shocked that it installed something like 17GB without the expansions. The graphics and sound are the same as they were, what did they "update" with that that it's so much bigger than the DVD version (which installs 4.58GB)? It also ran like shit on my modern PC.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 1706 of 1906, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm
I generally i'm more into hardware, but i could not resist today.
Sale event in a local charity store...
They usually have a few games, but this time, they had a (temporary ?) retro software corner...

IMG_20220807_000314.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220807_000314.jpg
File size
954.66 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20220807_000330.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220807_000330.jpg
File size
955.86 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20220807_000323.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220807_000323.jpg
File size
907.22 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The Matrox Graphic card is only here because i cleaned the box (i had it before).

There are some "non rare" games i was looking for for a long time in "non digital" form. Just for easy install in retro computers.
But i was looking for this Diablo II battle chest for so long !
And they also had a few point and click CD adventures games. Gabriel Knight 2 : The beast within is notorious to have very ridiculous French localization (terrible voice acting, other persons speaking during the recording, ...)

IMG_20220806_235610.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220806_235610.jpg
File size
609.86 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And i found a sleeping pills substitute, with this Excel 5.0 with full doc.

The most expensive box (Diablo II) was 5€, every other from 1 to 4€... so basically around 30€ for these games.

This store is literally 100m from my company's offices. So i will definitely come again.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 1709 of 1906, by sekao

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's a nice little shop in my town that has old PC games, comic books, and other random things. I used to go there all the time, but one time i bought a johnny cash vinyl that was in a picture frame and covered in plastic wrap for 50 bucks. I got home and unwrapped it and the thing was completely warped. Now i know why they covered it in plastic wrap. Tried to return it and they refused. Don't remember why i'm telling this story.

Reply 1710 of 1906, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I managed to get this today, locally, for about $35. Sure, it’s the three disk rerelease, but I’m not going to complain about the condition.

100E2AFB-8B83-465A-B08B-F20D4243CBB6.jpeg
Filename
100E2AFB-8B83-465A-B08B-F20D4243CBB6.jpeg
File size
1.91 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I thinks it’s only missing the registration.

CE1EC795-A2AA-4A39-AD11-E16C84A99028.jpeg
Filename
CE1EC795-A2AA-4A39-AD11-E16C84A99028.jpeg
File size
1.41 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 1712 of 1906, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was looking through an old copy of 'Computer Gaming World' from 1997, and I came across a blurb about a 'Tomb Raider' killer (which evolved into a 'Goldeneye' killer). 'Vigilance' did neither, but it's a Glide game I never noticed. MISB and then I downloaded the ISO at the Wayback machine. I'll give it a whirl. At the very least, the box is solidly constructed with cool artwork.

Attachments

Reply 1713 of 1906, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-06-25, 14:25:

A couple of years ago I installed the Steam version and was shocked that it installed something like 17GB without the expansions. The graphics and sound are the same as they were, what did they "update" with that that it's so much bigger than the DVD version (which installs 4.58GB)? It also ran like shit on my modern PC.

I have no idea. I also have the steam version but I have never played the steam version. And indeed, it's close to 17gigs? What for? 🤣

And actually, last night me and a friend were talking about FEAR and how we found "They tried to bury their sins, but instead planted the seeds of their doom. A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping over the earth, bodies in the street, cities turned to dust. Retaliation" a powerful quote.
FEAR is definitely one of my more memorable games I ever played, and the same for this friend of mine.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1714 of 1906, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got myself a Quake II Explosiv bargin bin edition. 2 CDs, 1 for the game, 1 for the manual and probably some trash. It only says "Explosiv menu system and userguide for Quake 2".

Fable bargin bin version I bought for the manual so I can add it to pretty box edition. Only issue is, the manual is localized and the game I bought it for is not.

Reply 1715 of 1906, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2022-08-14, 20:43:
I have no idea. I also have the steam version but I have never played the steam version. And indeed, it's close to 17gigs? What […]
Show full quote

I have no idea. I also have the steam version but I have never played the steam version. And indeed, it's close to 17gigs? What for? 🤣

And actually, last night me and a friend were talking about FEAR and how we found "They tried to bury their sins, but instead planted the seeds of their doom. A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping over the earth, bodies in the street, cities turned to dust. Retaliation" a powerful quote.
FEAR is definitely one of my more memorable games I ever played, and the same for this friend of mine.

I'm guessing its also installing localisation and language packs for the main game and the expansions and since its likely old enough to have the option to not install them you dont get a choice. Also likely to be a bunch of Steam bloat in there too, Steam version includes both expansions and there isnt an option for just the main game so that 17gig includes everything.

Reply 1716 of 1906, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-15, 17:45:
I have no idea. I also have the steam version but I have never played the steam version. And indeed, it's close to 17gigs? What […]
Show full quote

I'm guessing its also installing localisation and language packs for the main game and the expansions and since its likely old enough to have the option to not install them you dont get a choice. Also likely to be a bunch of Steam bloat in there too, Steam version includes both expansions and there isnt an option for just the main game so that 17gig includes everything.

But you can buy and install the expansions separately. It makes no sense to have them included and inaccessible in the main game too. The expansions also have a 7.5GB separate download each so it's not like you just unlock them by purchase.

As for localization, the Steam version doesn't have any. Localized versions were and are retail only.

Reply 1717 of 1906, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-08-15, 17:59:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-15, 17:45:

But you can buy and install the expansions separately. It makes no sense to have them included and inaccessible in the main game too. The expansions also have a 7.5GB separate download each so it's not like you just unlock them by purchase.

As for localization, the Steam version doesn't have any. Localized versions were and are retail only.

You cant buy the expansions standalone any more, they rolled them into the fear package and going to their store pages takes you back to FEAR itself, im guessing they now come with FEAR when you buy it. Since its all one package now you have no choice but to download everything, for previous owners im 100% sure they gave you the expansions for free when they combined them. Looks like the original standalone versions were delisted from the store when they combined them, also only Fear2 and Fear3 can be bought on their own according to the store im looking at, FEAR1 is now part of the FEAR complete pack.

They did the same with FEAR 2 and its expansion, its all one package, this is the Australian Steam store but I see no reason it would be different elsewhere.

Edit - I have had FEAR in my library for a long time so I still have the standalone versions but Installing FEAR itself also installs the expansions, just checked this myself, installing any of the stand alone versions installs FEAR Ultimate Shooter Edition which is 16gig and includes both expansions, it also install all the ED extras like the public editing tools, linux server and other server stuff.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-08-15, 18:17. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1718 of 1906, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But that's true for the entire franchise. You no longer can buy any of the entries separately, but they are still separate entries in your library to install and play.

Reply 1719 of 1906, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-08-15, 18:13:

But that's true for the entire franchise. You no longer can buy any of the entries separately, but they are still separate entries in your library to install and play.

read my edit, I just checked this, you install one you get them all.

Just checked the standalone expansions, hitting install does nothing other than add a desktop icon.