VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 40, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kreats wrote:

It's also neat when you find the "best" version of a game runs on an obscure 3d accelerator that nobody has and isn't produced anymore.

So which card-specific game that looks the best?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 21 of 40, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

heh i had a 4mb s3trio card first and unreal tournament ran sloow 😜 then i got a TNT 2 card and it ran fine so long as there was no smart AI or too many AI 😉

ah the limits of a p133 and 48mb ram 😀 the image quality with the tnt 2 was vastly better then the s3trio 😜

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 22 of 40, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
kreats wrote:

It's also neat when you find the "best" version of a game runs on an obscure 3d accelerator that nobody has and isn't produced anymore.

So which card-specific game that looks the best?

Unreal before the D3D patch. 😀 D3D support was awful for years anyway. Hell, Glide still runs the game better than the best they could muster from D3D in the final patch. Unreal engine was built for software rendering and Glide.

Last edited by swaaye on 2007-11-26, 20:51. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 23 of 40, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
franpa wrote:

heh i had a 4mb s3trio card first and unreal tournament ran sloow 😜 then i got a TNT 2 card and it ran fine so long as there was no smart AI or too many AI 😉

ah the limits of a p133 and 48mb ram 😀 the image quality with the tnt 2 was vastly better then the s3trio 😜

S3 Trio can't accelerate much of any 3D, certainly not Unreal. So you were running the Unreal software renderer (which is a fantastic software renderer, btw). A TNT2 would be an awful lot faster than that and definitely add lots of 3D effects too.

P133 would've drastically been limiting for the game too. That's below the minimum requirements for the original Unreal even. And since a P133 doesn't have MMX, the audio quality would've been awful. Actually, the game's software renderer uses a lot of MMX too so you were probably playing a slideshow basically heh heh.

Reply 26 of 40, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Search doom 3 voodo because while i do not remember the site there is a voodo fansite that found a way to play doom 3 with voodo 2. Looks like a ps1 or n64 game but it is definately an amazing sight to see. Edit: I found the site. It tells you how
http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1462

Reply 27 of 40, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Freddo wrote:
leileilol wrote:

i've played UT on a 486 dx4 120 before

Nice 😀

I played thru Deus Ex on a P133. Not only once, but 3 times.

oh man, the tolerance for those 3 minute load times is nuts 🙁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 29 of 40, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
Freddo wrote:
leileilol wrote:

i've played UT on a 486 dx4 120 before

Nice 😀

I played thru Deus Ex on a P133. Not only once, but 3 times.

oh man, the tolerance for those 3 minute load times is nuts 🙁

Haha, yeah. Wouldn't be able to do that today. Replayed Deus Ex earlier this year and the loading times were less than 5 seconds. Quite a difference 😁

Reply 30 of 40, by jim2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

poor me.. i just starting my real pc experience on 2001. me buy acer with intel 486dx4/100. and i got soundblaster 16 pro. my graphic card is builtin cirrus..i cannot remember then i got s3 tro 64. i remember i am playing raptor, prince od persia...then i start collecting vga and soundcrad such as trident 8900 maybe..opti soundcard..aureal 1 and 2 then live then live 5.1. i upgrade to pentium mmx on 2003(!) and now i just got p3 1ghz ...i dont like p4 and above becoz i play win98 and win3.11/dos 6.22 too much..

Reply 31 of 40, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First 3d card I had was a 4 Mb nVidia RIVA128. Nice card, had S-video and composite inputs and outputs. Before it got to me, somebody flashed it an ELSA BIOS, but in fact the card was made by Miro.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 32 of 40, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah my second (or third) S3 VirGe was a Miro card. That card had sweet S-video out, I used it to record 3D animations that a group of guys (including me) had rendered from 3DS 4 and mixed with uLead Studio.

Reply 35 of 40, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first 3d card was a power vr, but I when I got it. I was ecstatic. Because the power vr was the DC´s graphics chip. So I was happy, and well yes I know the DC used a power vr 2. But darn it was a sweet feeling still having a piece like that 😀

Reply 36 of 40, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was given a PowerVR unit to review and it came with Ultim@te Race Pro. I wasn't thar impressed with the card's speed to be honest, but I'm sure my P200 was bringing it down a little (or a lot). The included tech demos were fun, especially those that showed video piped into 3d texel rendered surfaces. A couple years later I was given a Power VR2 Kyro card to play with and that thing made Quake 2 scream but had dislplay issues with some games.

Reply 37 of 40, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dh4rm4 wrote:

A couple years later I was given a Power VR2 Kyro card to play with and that thing made Quake 2 scream but had dislplay issues with some games.

I still use one, and yeah the lack of T&L made it really suck for its heyday. Smurf hands in bf1942 (as well as real slow fps), extremely slow bloom (tile-based renderers tend to do that when you've got an entire texture rendered from the screen onto the screen), and some GL clamping issues. There's also the nice texturing white-out which all previous PowerVR cards exhibited with an excess amount of texture memory used on screen.
Of course it'd make Quake2 scream - it's a 2001 video card!!! It was designed to make any pre-2002 game scream.

PowerVR PCX1/2 however was the worst. Trying to beat AVP on that card is a gaming god magnitude of feat.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 38 of 40, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I remembered some others of my "recent" 3d cards; In order of purchase:
1. miro MAGIC Premium, nVidia RIVA 128, 4 Mb SGRAM, PCI; http://www.mirosupport.de/graph/magic/premium/premium.html
2. ATI RAGE Pro, 8 Mb SGRAM, AGP 2X
3. Leadtek WinFast 3D S325, TNT2 M64, 32 Mb, AGP 2X/4X
4. ATI Rage 128, 16 Mb, AGP 2X
5. Gigabyte GV-R925128T, ATI Radeon 9250, 128 Mb, 64bit, AGP 2X/4X/8X
6. Palit GeForce 6200, 128 Mb, 128bit, AGP 8X
7. O/B GeForce 7050
8. My current VC, ASUS EAH 3650 TOP, factory overclocked RADEON HD 3650

I used all these cards in my main computers.
For retro stuff I have the following AGP 3D cards:
1. ATI Rage LT Pro, 8 Mb, AGP 2X
2. S3 Savage4, 16 Mb, AGP 2X/4X
3. GeCube ATI RADEON 9250, 128 Mb, factory overclocked.
And I just bidded on my local version of eBay, www.okazii.ro for a Voodoo 2 12 Mb. If all goes well, I'll have it for around 20 USD. 😁

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 39 of 40, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also relevant i've found my PowerVR PCX2

what this means is now i'm trying crap i never had the opportunity to try before
this
i'm using it alongside a KYRO II. HOLY CRAP IT'S A DOUBLE POWERVR VIDEO CARD MACHINE

apsosig.png
long live PCem