VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I was looking into getting a certificate to sign some VBA code, and came across the following at www.thawte.com:

Windows Vista: When requesting a certificate using the Windows Vista machine, the private key will be saved directly into the registry. Vista's strict security policy will prevent the private key to be exported, and thus the certificate can only be installed into the same machine that was used to request the certificate. Code Signing also can only be done on the same machine. To sign on other machines, request and install a certificate via Windows XP. The certificate can then be exported as a .pfx file and installed into Windows Vista.

So Microsoft and Vista don't trust me to keep my own certificate safe and for me to decide which machines it should be on. No signing some VBA code on my desktop PC and on my laptop, if I happen to request it from a Vista PC.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 1 of 4, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reminds me of the UAC-- which is at least understandable.
well, OK, this is understandable too, intellectual property protection, but come on, iTunes, shutting down Morpheus (or whatever it was), DMCA, lawsuits, they didn't stop the pirating and you think a little quirk with the registry is going to work (or even help)?
arrrrrrgh, that be one-track thinkin', that be 😒

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 2 of 4, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, just remember that the vast majority of computer users are lazy, clueless people who can and will screw up stuff if given a chance. 😀 Hence all the precautions that drive those who know better crazy.

Reply 3 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Your PC is infected! Click here to scan your PC now!!!" "Install our FREE screensaver!!"

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 4, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I seriously did not fake this and it's never happened to me before (in fairness it may not be Vista but IncrediMail or Magnetic, in fact I'm pretty sure one of those caused it). It happened just as the last start-up programs were starting up. I haven't seen an error this funny in some time. I saw it, knew it belonged here, and immediately hit PrintScreen.

update: I haven't seen it since.

Attachments

• Filename
    what.jpg
    File size
    119.72 KiB
    Downloads
    206 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions