VOGONS

Common searches

DNF IS REAL!

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50457

Enjoy fellow Duke fans 😉 Tomorrow!

Reply 2 of 86, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Who gives a shit? Release the fucking game and stop fucking around 3drealms.

I hate "teasers", screenshots, fake ass pics and marketing speak.....and decade + long development times. After this long we should get the damn for free with an apology from the damn devs. Stop treating us like we should be grateful for your lazy ass development.

This game is going to tank so hard it's going to be hilarious.

Bought Bladerunner today and just got done watching it, feeling pretty good otherwise I might have written an angry post.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 86, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, who cares anymore. The joke isn't even funny anymore. And for anyone eagerly waiting for this game: just look what Prey has become. A nice graphics demo, with 15 minutes of cool ideas and nice graphics (and standard FPS gameplay after these 15 mins). I'd rather play Manhattan Project, which i just recently discovered - great game, and very true to the "Duke Spirit". (;

Reply 4 of 86, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I care 😀

3DRealms haven't self-advertised/hyped the game for years now, who cares if they've redone it 10x, spent millions of dollars, could've released it 3 times over, does not use the latest (and not necessarily greatest) tech... They may be the laughing stock of the industry (although it's gotta be close with Romero making us his bitch!) but they deserve every success just for the sheer dedication to the project!

Good for them! Perhaps this is the start of the hype campaign they said they'd do some time before release... so it could be out for next Christmas then 😁

Reply 5 of 86, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

Who gives a shit? Release the fucking game and stop fucking around 3drealms.

I hate "teasers", screenshots, fake ass pics and marketing speak.....and decade + long development times. After this long we should get the damn for free with an apology from the damn devs. Stop treating us like we should be grateful for your lazy ass development.

This game is going to tank so hard it's going to be hilarious.

Don't get your panties in a bunch there. It's going to come. Those of us who were patient are now laughing at the doubters. Least I know I am. Their forum just about died from activity in the last few hours.

Also Duke is not going to be the second coming. Get that out of your head. If you want another Duke game you'll be happy, but for me I really don't care if it's just good rather than "OMG AMAZING".

Reply 6 of 86, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It could be the greatest FPS of all time. It's still going to tank.

Look at Crysis. People are bashing it all over the internet because they think it won't run on their computers because they think they need to run it at max detail settings when it runs just fine and looks better than HL2: EP2 on lower settings. (and why the hell are people comparing Crysis to a 3 yr old engine (HL2) anyway?)

Now of course DNF will have far lower system requirements (Unreal engine, closed-in environments, no doubt nowhere near as much physics as Crysis does), but it's still an FPS for the computer, meaning it's not going to do very well.

They'll have to release a console version if the plan on making any money off of it and it will HAVE to have multiplayer if they plan to release it on console. On PC it doesn't matter as much since we already have tons of multiplayer FPS's that could beat DN into the ground but FPS's on consoles pretty much require multiplayer.

I never said DNF was going to be the second coming. I think it's not going to be much to look at as a matter of fact. I think it will be above average but that's about it.

For an FPS to grab my attention (having played FPS's for years and being bored with them).

Physics: (and tons of it). I wouldn't have even bothered buying Crysis without it.
Graphics:. (After playing Crysis it has to at least meet this level)
Story: (Has to have a good story. I only play games that have stories. FPS's without stories are so 90's).
Interactive: (Must at the extreme least be as interactive as DN3D was, considering when the game comes out in 2012 everying in the damn game should be physics enabled).
Length: (Must at the extreme least be 10-12hrs, 20hrs preferred....sorry A.D.D generation we've waited longer than a decade for this game we need more).
Load screens: (Shouldn't be any. In 2012, with this game still using the Unreal 2 engine there should be no load screens....AT ALL).
Cheap: (Take a leason from Serious Sam. Make it cheap on release. Sure make a stupid $60 collectors edition with a huge book on how your lazy ass development team spent time sunbathing and partying for the past decade in Hawaii, release a $30 version with just the game for us PC gamers. Console gamers will be happy with their $59.99 normal version and a $89.99 Collectors edition)

Reply 7 of 86, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dude it's also for the 360. Count on it. Prey did just fine sales wise, hit over a million. COD4 is also selling like hotcakes.

"For an FPS to grab my attention (having played FPS's for years and being bored with them)."

You want a medal my friend? Those of us who still enjoy the genre really don't care.

Reply 8 of 86, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's fine to market games for those who are hardcore into FPS's but it's not the way to make tons of money. See Crysis up above? Yeah.

Prey and COD4 are on XBox 360 as well. If they weren't then they obviously wouldn't have done very well at all. If 3DRealms wants to get their money back then they need to release the 360 version on the same day as the PC version or even release the 360 ver before the PC version (of course then the entire PC community would lynch them if they even care...I think only the 3DRealms forums would even bother.)

I enjoy FPS's as well but they can't keep on doing the same old stupid ass shit over and over again. They have to evolve. It would be nice if DNF did the same thing for FPS's that DN3D did when it was released. I don't see that happening. Sure they'll be alot more interactivity than other FPS's that will be out at the time (mabye), but that's about it. DNF will be only for hardcore FPS gamers and that's it. Hopefully when it tanks mabye 3DRealms will get smart, get bought out/MERGE and have a publisher looking over their shoulder when they make their next game.

Reply 9 of 86, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HL2 outsold Halo 2 in 2004 in the first few weeks, so it's not true that PC FPS games don't do well. DNF will still likely be successful seeing as it's following de rigeur 3DR practices (Prey also had a 10+ development cycle and that sold well too, across all platforms). Will it be a shit, shallow game that promises a lot but delivers little? Based on Prey I'd guess so...

Reply 11 of 86, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

leileilol: another superfluous comment by you, not surprisingly. Go ahead and play games like Serious Sam, or even After Burner or Space Harrier, if you like your 3D shooting in a simple way. It may suprise you, but there's a lot of people that enjoy some thinking with their FPS's. I guess that's the reason why, for example, HL2 is regarded as a milestone of the genre.

Reply 12 of 86, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A lot of responses, with a lot of different opinions, how... not surprising.
For anyone reading this who still doesn't get it, they're talking about Duke Nukem Forever, the latest game in the Duke Nukem franchise, which celebrated 10 years of being in development a few months ago. Yes, ten years.
I've played Duke Nukem 3D and it seemed good. I liked Doom (and really Doom II) better, but I really didn't play DN:3D that much (just a couple of hours). Something like that with modern sound, graphics and physics sounds pretty appealing to me.
I hope they don't pull a Doom 3 on us; I'm not saying it's bad, but all that waiting for what was basically a remake? Story is much more important now than when the "Doom Bible" was rejected, even in first-person shooters, and whatever you think about the Half-Life franchise, what would it be without its story? A Doom clone with nice graphics; unremarkable, and isn't that what FPSs are about, giving you a reason to say "Wow", whether it be plot, graphics, or how you just blew an enemy into a million pieces that are still twitching and bleeding?

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 14 of 86, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh yeah, this time with real electric guitars! Btw, while waiting another 10 years, we can play the original again, with a quite sophisticated engine and high resolution textures: Duke Nukem 3D High Resolution Pack. I wish something similar would be made for Blood, which doesn't run very well in SVGA using DOSBox on my old P4.

Reply 16 of 86, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ADDiCT wrote:

leileilol: another superfluous comment by you, not surprisingly. Go ahead and play games like Serious Sam, or even After Burner or Space Harrier, if you like your 3D shooting in a simple way. It may suprise you, but there's a lot of people that enjoy some thinking with their FPS's. I guess that's the reason why, for example, HL2 is regarded as a milestone of the genre.

i like my games fun thank you very much

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 86, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I prefer story to gameplay. That's why Half-Life is one of my favourite games of all time. That's probably why I prefer the adventure genre to all other genres as well. But Duke3D had the great gift of presenting both...at least in a way that it could do back then. Story + really fun gameplay. It was still ahead of other FPS's in its time story-wise, I think. Sure it's a simple story, but so what. I have no doubt DNF will do the same. Duke has always been about gameplay and this time I think they'll mix the best of both worlds.

It won't be groundbreaking, I'm sure, but it'll be grand either way.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 19 of 86, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ADDiCT wrote:

It may suprise you, but there's a lot of people that enjoy some thinking with their FPS's. I guess that's the reason why, for example, HL2 is regarded as a milestone of the genre.

HL2 isn't any milestone by any means, except for the character faces, which doesn't really have any impact on the FPS gameplay at all.

HL2 is a shooter on rails, just like any other FPS out there. Sure, a wellmade polished shooter, but hardly revolutionary or a milestone in terms of gameplay.

As far as I'm concerned, the main reason why HL2 is so popular is because of the huge popularity of Counter Strike. Without CS for original HL, I'm sure the HL series wouldn't even have a 10th of the popularity it has now.

Anything HL has done, gameplaywise, had been done before with other games, such as System Shock (which was a milestone in FPS gameplay, but flopped horribly anyway).