VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 28, by Papa Lazarou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

vista is a lovely shiney polished turd of an operating system.
oh how pleased i am at buying SLI 9600 GTs and Vista Ultimate 64bit.

had i done a little bit more research... cough... ok some research at all... i'd have perhaps realised SLI means no dual monitors. yay. F*ck up number one.

had i done a little more research into what 64bit means other than 'more memory available' i'd have realised more memory is available coz i can't get drivers for all my frickin' hardware. yay. F*ck up number two.
I now have to power up a second pc running xp and print on that as there's no 64bit drivers for my epson stylus photo 950, I can't even use it as a shared network printer coz it still needs a 64bit driver... for a frickin' printer for heavens sake... what a sack of Sh....t!

And if that aint bad enough there's the occasional hard freezes that i can't track down because Vista's diagnostic tools are completely worthless. After booting from cold it occassionally does a great Max Headroom impression as it freezes and stutters, but bizarely it's ok after hibernating and waking up again.

And after trying and failing to work out what might be wrong, all I can say is whoever wrote the UI of Event Viewer needs a red hot poker applied to their genitals for quite some hours, as does for that matter whoever reinvented the UI of Windows Explorer. gah.

After being an early adopter of XP and suffering BSOD hell for the first few months i had kinda hoped that waiting a year or so would have been long enough for Vista to 'settle in'... but nooooooo.... it's a big smelly turd and it needs to be flushed. (And I hope M$ will have the decency to offer a big upgrade discount to Windows7 too)

it's evil. burn it.

hope that was emotive enough 😁

You're my wife now!

Reply 27 of 28, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apart from a weird problem with the XPS Essentials Pack refusing to install after updating a fresh XP Pro to SP3, everything seems to be fine here as well.
All I needed was the XPS printer driver and I found another way to install it.

Vista is pointless unless you can't live without DX10. I'd rather run Leopard 10.5.2 😀

Reply 28 of 28, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I heard that all of the service packs thus far have only (or mostly) been just all the little updates put together. I update Vista pretty much whenever it says I should, and I've seen zero difference, despite it hogging the whole Internet connection for itself (which is high speed) and then taking 20 minutes to install. No, I'm not kidding, actually 20 minutes, never less than 8 and one time a whole hour.

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions