VOGONS

Common searches

copy protection

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 56, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back to topic... historically, I think the first guys that used malware as a mean to control the spread of the copies of their programs (note that I dont say as a mean of copy protection), were these guys.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 42 of 56, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

isnt that a virus?

are you trolling or seriously asking this? RTFA or at least the very first sentence of the linked Wikipedia entry:

(c)Brain (the industry standard name being Brain) is (in its first incarnation written in January 1986) considered to be the first computer virus for the PC.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 44 of 56, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
v0g0ns wrote:

ok. No need to call names.

I agree with that, and MiniMax can be a royal pain in my Danish and Scanian white arse. Since I remember asking DosFreak a legitimate question about Alpha Centauri and then MiniMax played a part of insinuating I was a Stupid Dane, which I am not ! And if he weren´t a Swede, then I would have been calling a God damn motherfucking racist prick . But I didn´t want to go into it. But screw it anyway, it looks like v0g0ns asked a legitimate question. And then suddenly out of the blue MiniMax began some serious stupid rampage and calling people noobs, just because "they didn´t have internet when he had and all that BS", so MiniMax: Kiss my arse, and stop playing a Swedish overlord.

Reply 45 of 56, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MiniMax wrote:

Defective sectors is a fact of life. Your newest SATA harddisk is full of defective sectors. That is why you format a disk so the computer can make a map out of the good and bad sectors.

Actually that's not quite true. A new hard disk doesn't have bad sectors that are exposed to the system it is in. The drive's controller/firmware is all that can see these and it transparently maps around them. Drives actually ship with excess sectors so that when some inevitably go bad, it can re-map data to safe areas. It's just another cost saving measure from the manufacturer. So they don't have to strive for flawless platters. You can see data on remapped sectors with SMART readouts. When these numbers start climbing frequently or significantly, you will run out of redundant sectors, and then you have a drive that's failing and real bad sectors.

If you format a new HDD and have bad sectors found during the format, send it back.

I've found "weakening" drives after running drive wiping utils on them. I once used DBAN on a WD 120gig and afterwards there were a few hundred reallocated sectors reported in SMART. DBAN really works over each sector very thoroughly and some spots were failing. The drive still "works", but I sure wouldn't trust it.

But yea you are right in that floppies, CDs, and DVDs certainly do ship with bad sectors that are designed to prevent disk imaging. You can see these sometimes on optical disks. I actually own Bleem! (that PS1 emulator for PC that got banned quickly) and the disc has several rings on it that make it very very hard to rip. It's always fun when a CDROM or DVDROM can't read past some of these creative copy-protection measures when you're trying to install your legitimate copy.

Last edited by swaaye on 2008-03-10, 21:08. Edited 7 times in total.

Reply 47 of 56, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:

my arse, and stop playing a Swedish overlord.

If you don't like it, don't visit these forums.

I like this forum a lot, but I don´t like people who thinks they are better just because they have a higher postcount than others since it could be that he is just a postwhore. And I don´t like when legitimate questions are ridiculed. I don´t think it should be hard to understand that. For once I am on v0g0ns side here.

Reply 48 of 56, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a bit of bitterness on the forums lately. I can only guess that some folks are having a rough time in real life... Hey, it happens to everyone.

Let's just remember that this forum is about gaming. And in the end, nothing here really matters all that much and it isn't the end of the world when someone disagrees. And certainly everyone has a different level of experience and knowledge...

Last edited by swaaye on 2008-03-10, 21:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 49 of 56, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

There is a bit of bitterness on the forums lately. I can only guess that some folks are having a rough time in real life... Hey, it happens to everyone.

Let's just remember that this forum is about gaming. And in the end, it really doesn't matter all that much and isn't the end of the world when someone disagrees. And certainly everyone has varying levels of experience and knowledge...

Exactly, and I agree with that. But whether I have bitterness in my own personal life, then I would still have said something similar, of what I just did. But maybe with some lesser evil curses. But still I am who I am, and that has no influence with what I am posting here.

Reply 50 of 56, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not targeting you specifically, WolverineDK. There are more than a few threads on the forum that have ended rather unhappily... I just want everyone to remember what the forums are about.

Last edited by swaaye on 2008-03-10, 21:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 51 of 56, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

I'm not targeting you specifically, WolveringDK. There are more than a few threads on the forum that have ended rather unhappily...

I know that, I was only expressing my opinion, and I have seen the other threads you were talking about.

Reply 53 of 56, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think part of it may be that some people are just more "wordy" than others. Posts that only have short little hints at an answer can seem like "smart ass" responses. I don't think that's the intention usually.. They just want the reader to do a little research on their own.

Reply 54 of 56, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Actually I think the calling names was intended for me and my question whether v0g0ns is trolling. And I stay by that, someone mentions a program or something and links to a wikipedia article (normal browsers will show that when you hover over that). Asking a question as a follow up that is answered by the first sentence of the wiki article is something that makes my blood turn hellish hot and makes me react in this way. And I think I showed remarkably restraint.

WolverineDK, look at the thread more closely. The one time Mini "insults" people is when he calls all of us noobs because he was in the internet when the earth was young. To *me* this sounded very much like a good joke. *Later* the discussion turned on some heat and the tone was much more severe but mostly not directed at v0g0ns (for this leet name he deserves some bashing... 😀).
So please take your personal baggage to some moderators and complain to them about his behavior but keep it from the threads. IMHO this looks like a personal vendatta just entering a thread to rant against Mini....

But still I am who I am, and that has no influence with what I am posting here.

*cough* being who you are has about every influence on what you, me, everybody is posting here 😀

Last edited by Dominus on 2008-03-10, 21:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 55 of 56, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
WolverineDK wrote:
v0g0ns wrote:

ok. No need to call names.

I agree with that, and MiniMax can be a royal pain in my Danish and Scanian white arse. Since I remember asking DosFreak a legitimate question about Alpha Centauri and then MiniMax played a part of insinuating I was a Stupid Dane, which I am not !

For everybody's enlightenment, I duck out the thread that WolverineDK is referring to:
Alpha Centauri

Now you can all make your own decision on whether I was being insulting or not.

WolverineDK wrote:

And if he weren´t a Swede, then I would have been calling a God damn motherfucking racist prick .

Du kan såmænd kalde mig mig lige hvad du vil lille WolverrineDK, bare du ikke kalder mig for svensker. Jeg er født og opvokset på den fede Sjællandske muld hvor jeg tilbragte de første 40 år af mit liv indtil et jobtilbud lokkede mig til Stockholm.

(Feel free to call me anything you like little WolverineDK, as long as you don't call me a Swede. I was born and raised on the rich soil of Sealand, Denmark, where I spent the first 40 years of my life until a job offer lured me to Stockholm, Sweden)

WolverineDK wrote:

But I didn´t want to go into it. But screw it anyway, it looks like v0g0ns asked a legitimate question. And then suddenly out of the blue MiniMax began some serious stupid rampage and calling people noobs, just because "they didn´t have internet when he had and all that BS", so MiniMax: Kiss my arse, and stop playing a Swedish overlord.

v0g0ns said that things would have been different had the Internet been around in the DOS games era. Nurzaman stated as a fact that there were no Internet in 1991 (which he since corrected).

Since I am probably older than both v0g0ns and Nurzaman, and since I saw both of them make clearly incorrect statements about historical facts, what other explanation than n00bness could there be? Had I really wanted to be insulting, I could have said that they were stupid instead of merely being n00bs. Being a n00b means that you have a chance of learning more - being stupid is final.

Last edited by MiniMax on 2008-03-10, 21:19. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions