VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mr.Smiley4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I'm a 13 year old kid who barely even lived in the late 90s, and found some great games from the early - mid 90s. I love all of them, from Lemmings to Wing Commander to Descent to Ultima Underworld. I know there are lots of other awesome early - mid 90s games, but I only know the famous ones (Ultima, King's Quest, Space Quest, DOOM, etc.).

So I was wondering: What are some other must have games from the 90s? Try to recommend ones on 3.5" floppy disks or on CD, because I don't have a 5.25" floppy drive anymore.

Reply 2 of 55, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mr.Smiley4 wrote:

So I was wondering: What are some other must have games from the 90s? Try to recommend ones on 3.5" floppy disks or on CD, because I don't have a 5.25" floppy drive anymore.

Hmmm, must-have games, on 3.5" floppy or CD?

Easy:

Star Control 2 by Accolade. God (or Cthulhu, Azathoth, whatever) wants you to play it. Period.

Gunship 2000 by Microprose. The greatest helicopter game of the 90s, even when you're not playing it with HOTAS setup.

Quest for Glory series by Sierra. Also try Quest for Glory 4 1/2 (EDIT: link modified, because apparently HOTU is a forbidden site as well). QfG 1 comes in 5 1/4 floppies, although you can just buy the Quest for Glory Anthology CD that includes all the series.

SSI Goldbox series by SSI, and Buck Rogers series too.

Privateer and Strike Commander by Origin Systems. They also come in CD.

Secret Weapons of Luftwaffe by LucasArts.

Ultima 6 by Origin Systems. The first Ultima with highly detailed world and fully manipulable objects. You can use grain to make bread, for instance.

and if late 90s counts.....

EF2000 V2.0 and Total Air War by DID. LOMAC may be the most painfully detailed flight sim out there, but I choose DID's flight sims any day for simply one reason: dynamic campaign.

Falcon 4.0 by Microprose. Its dynamic campaign is even better than DID's offering, but the pilot's learning curve is more intimidating.

Delta Force: Art of War by Novalogic. Quake soon got old and boring after I experienced Delta Force.

Jane's Fighters Anthology by Jane's Combat Simulations/EA. Realism is next to zero, and it doesn't have dynamic campaign either, but it's FUN!

Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on 2008-05-02, 12:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 55, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

F19 Stealth Fighter, Leisure Suit Larry, Master of Orion, Pirates Gold, Civilization, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Dune II, X-COM UFO Defense, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, Wing Commander Privateer, Another World, Transport Tycoon Deluxe, Wings of Glory.

Reply 5 of 55, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Generally speaking, the famous ones are famous because they are the best. So if you start with those, you'll probably get done playing through all of them after about 4 or 5 years. (Also, ih8registrations, Leisure Suit Larry for a 13-year-old? T'sk t'sk on you, they're supposed to discover these things on their own 😉)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 55, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Being 19 and only getting into computers around 6-7 years ago, and only having Internet for short periods until recently, I'm in a similar situation. Doom II was the first "real" computer game I played and it really left an impression on me, and recently I saw a collection of Doom, Doom II, and two other Doom games (made by fans and said to be good) on-line and got it for my birthday; I would be playing it a lot if it wasn't for me getting Halo the preceding summer and Halo 2 the following Christmas; I would suggest setting up Doom games so the mouse is used to look around/aim and the arrow keys or WASD are used for movement, unless you have a joystick that is. My avatar(the little picture over there <--), which I recently changed, is from StarTropics, which came out right on the edge, in 1990, and had a great sequel four years later (1994), but since they weren't hyped up, a lot of people didn't like the controls of the first one, and the second one came out at the very end of the life of the NES (they were both for the NES), they didn't sell and there weren't any more. 🙁 Speaking of which, you can play old games for old systems on a new system using an emulator, DELETED and changed you could get ROM images and emulators, but if you don't own the cartridge for the game, it's not... strictly speaking... how should I put this... legal, but I (and I don't speak for anyone else) believe certain games are so popular or so hard to find and so good that everyone should get to play them, like Doom, Mario, and StarTropics; but enough of my views... I haven't played them myself, but everyone else here seems to love System Shock and System Shock 2 (SS and SS2).

Last edited by general_vagueness on 2008-07-02, 18:06. Edited 3 times in total.

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 8 of 55, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

By the way, Their Finest Hour also comes in 3 1/2" floppies. If you want to buy one, make sure to ask the seller in what kind of floppies do they come. I ended up buying TWO copies of TFH because the first one is 5 1/4". 🙁

Now the reason I suggest SWOTL and TFH is not only because its exciting arcade action --you can get the same excitement from Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. The reason is because the strategic elements of both games where you decide your own missions as part of the whole war.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 9 of 55, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I apologize, Mr. Snover, it will never happen again, I thought it seemed iffy, sometimes I get carried away in the whole social geek thing, and I forgot about WiiWare and VC since we don't have a Wii.
note to Mr.Smiley4, he runs this forum, and he's a cool guy, but it's best not to make him angry... you wouldn't like him when he's angry... oh, no, I'm thinking of someone else... (maybe wd?) oh well

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 11 of 55, by artelius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some things I'd suggest... a range of genres and eras, here; some may not be to your taste, of course...

Little Big Adventure and LBA2 (otherwise known as Relentless and Twinsen's Odyssey respectively), the first two Oddworld games, Raptor: Call of the Shadows, SimCity, some of the other Sim games- SimEarth and SimTunes were pretty interesting, games from the Monkey Island series...

Then we have the legendary Commander Keen series! And Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure... In both cases the first game is shareware.

Also Populous II, and Pizza Tycoon [I've had trouble running PT under DOSBOX... any ideas?].

Stargoose, and Skyroads... that's here: http://liberatedgames.com/game.php?game_id=120

Check the ScummVM website for a list of supported games... most of those are pretty good, and a few (including Beneath a Steel Sky, which I'd recommend) are free.

And finally, Liero: best described as a fast-paced, real-time, two-player Worms. This is also free, and there's an OpenLiero project so it can more easily be played on Windows and Linux. My copy has a weapon set that I really like, but I haven't seen this anywhere on the internet, so here is my version along with all the crap that came with it: http://aleks.budzynowski.info/host/Liero.zip

Reply 12 of 55, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some of the ones I really enjoyed that haven't been mentioned yet are

Magic Carpet by Bullfrog

Crusader No Remorse & Crusader No Regret by Origin Systems

Eye of The Beholder 1 & 2 (3 was ok but was done by a different team, not as good as the others in my opinion)

Several of the early FPS games - Strife, Hexen, Heretic, Duke 3D, Doom, Blood, Redneck Rampage

You can get many of the original Command & Conquer games now on a compilation CD

You said you liked the Wing Commander games, so X Wing and Tie Fighter would probably appeal to you as well

I would also have to second System Shock 1 & 2, Star Control 2, and if you like Ultima VI that Kreshna recommended, I would also suggest Savage Empire and Martian Dreams, both used the same U6 engine.

Reply 13 of 55, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just three letters: M.D.K.

And some of my favourite games, of which I own more than one, two or even three original copies:

- Day Of The Tentacle
- Tomb Raider
- Resident Evil
- Half-Life
- Quake!

Reply 14 of 55, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You may want to try underdogs as well; that is, games that are not famous or underrated, but have excellent gameplay. DELETED AGAIN is a website dedicated to underdog games, but I think everyone has their own definition of underdogs, so here's my list:

Task Force 1942 by Microprose. The AI is questionable, but the combination of real-time tactical maneuvers and first-person action is exciting.

Master of Magic by Microprose. Yes, the AI is kinda dumb, but I still find it more exciting than the tedious Age of Wonders.

Wings of Glory by Origin Systems. Everyone was crazy about Wing Commander III at that time so they missed this one precious gem. The game is quite difficult to find on ebay though.

Top Gun: Fire At Will by Spectrum Holobyte. Call it arcadish, call it unrealistic, but just like Fighters Anthology, the game is helluva fun!

Privateer 2: The Darkening by Origin Systems. Yes, yes, the gameplay is horribly linear, especially when compared to the first Privateer, but they more than make it up with excellent storyline, (still) exciting space combat, myriads of starfighters to choose, cargo ships that can defend themselves, and FMV that does NOT suck.

Full Throttle by Lucasarts. Much better interactive movie than whatever Myst-alike craps that flooded the game market in mid-90s.

Air Force Commander by Impressions. If you can live with the rather cumbersome interface and the frantic clicking while enemy bombers are heading to your airbase, this is quite a fun game indeed.

Reply 17 of 55, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What, no outrage for suggesting a bunch of murdering war games to a thirteen year old?:) Don't forget LSL's age protection. If he can get past that, he's wise beyond his years;)