VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mr.Smiley4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, what are the most overrated games, and underrated games? Please don't list the ones everyone already knows (aka, Psychonauts, System Shock, ect.)

OVERRATED: 7th Guest.

2 games were spawned in the early 90s to take advantage of CD-ROM drives: 7th Guest, and MYST. MYST was a huge hit, and spawned a 5 game series that lasted until 2005. 7th Guest was a huge hit, but in the process made FMV games popular (Which was, of course, bad). True MYST had FMV too, but didn't use it every time you entered a new room, or solved a puzzle.

7th Guest ended up with a 1 sequel, and that bombed. And after playing it, I can believe why. 7th Guest sucked, with crappy puzzles, and ever worse acting. Jezz, If I ever throw a party from now on, I'm never inviting more then 6 people.

UNDERRATED: The Last Express

This game, is THE highest point for point and click games. Almost everything about this game rocks. From the story, to the puzzles, to the setting. All of it is amazing except the puzzles. The puzzles in this game are basically "wait here at [specific time here] for conversation/scene to commence". And all of it's in real time, so you could end up bored while a story important thing is happening on the other side of the train. Luckily, this game includes a rewind time feature, which rewinds to important events/train stops.

Reply 1 of 7, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is subjective, right? After all, there are already lists of underrated and overrated games out there on the net (like this and this), so I'd rather write about underrated and overrated games according to my subjective POV.

The Most Overrated Game: The Sims

To me, the most overrated game is The Sims. Sure it is the best-selling PC game in the history, it has spawned seven add-ons, it got 9.1 rating from Gamespot, and my friends who normally don't play games were addicted to it. In fact, even I found the game quite interesting at first. Building your house is quite fun, and it is actually quite intriguing to see your Sims interacting with their environment in (relatively) realistic way, like dancing to the radio or yelling with pain as they cut themselves preparing the meal (the latter is better, actually).

The problem is: once those niceties get old, the game quickly becomes a boring, mundane clickfests to keep your Sims happy. Your Sim is hungry? Click and feed him. Your Sim gets bored? Click and get him interacting with "friends". WASH, RINSE, REPEAT. The worst part of it is that, unlike the city in Sim City, your Sims are not autonomous, which means that you need to keep clicking to make them happy. This is probably the most mundane thing since Tamagotchi, and they dare to call it a game? Oh wait, there are expansion packs to keep things interesting. But frankly, if you need expansion packs to keep the game from boring, then there must be some serious problem with the game. And excuse me, even the expansion packs are LAME. Heck, if I want to get a hot date, I go out and really get laid instead of playing The Sims: Hot Date. Maybe the game will be more interesting if they launch The Sims: Interstate Fugitive, The Sims: Psychopath Serial Killer, or The Sims: Obsessive-Compulsive Exhibitionist. Now that's something we can never do in real life.

The Most Underrated Game: Jane's survey sims

You may be a little bit surprised if I say that the most underrated game is Jane's "survey sim" series; that is, Jane's US Navy Fighters, Jane's ATF, and all their respective expansion pack (or if you just want it all, go and purchase Jane's Fighters Anthology). After all those games sold pretty well and they were not trashed by reviewers either.

So why do I call them "underrated", then? Well, just go to a flight sim community and ask what they think to be the best flight sim: chances you'll get Flanker or IL-2 or LOMAC or whatever flight sim with manual thicker than phone book and requires goddamn months of training to master. That's not saying that they hate Jane's survey sims, though. In fact, some of them create mods to enhance the series (like FA Futures). However, you will inevitably bump into folks that complained about the lack of realism in Jane's ATF.

See, that's the problem. Game designers, reviewers, and flight simmers alike are putting more and more importance in realism than fun factor (at least CombatSim acknowledged the problem). No wonder the flight sim genre is dying, because it's not easy to sell a game when its target audience is shrinking. Well now, many hardcore flightsimmers may (and most likely to) disagree with my preferences on fun over realism, but to quote Scott "Zuma" Wolf, this, after all, PC GAME, not PC REAL LIFE, so excuse me if I play Falcon 4.0 with all realism turned off.

Is Jane's ATF realistic? Hell no. But it is fun? Hell yeah! It is a game that allows you to experience prolonged and exciting (albeit unrealistic) dogfight in a jet fighter --something that is getting rare today. It has myriads of aircrafts to choose, and if you're bored with the game's packaged missions, you can easily create yourself (with probably the easiest and the most user-friendly mission creator I've ever experienced). It so much reminds you of all the excitement of Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. Alas, it only receives lukewarm 7.7 score from Gamespot. And had it been released in today's world of IL-2 Sturmovik and Lock On: Modern Air Combat, I suspect the score would have been lower.

Fortunately, though, Jane's survey sims were released in older times, before realism became the single mantra, and when flight sims were still enjoyed by broader audience.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 7, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Heck, if I want to get a hot date, I go out and really get laid instead of playing The Sims: Hot Date.

Not all of us can...

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Maybe the game will be more interesting if they launch The Sims: Interstate Fugitive, The Sims: Psychopath Serial Killer, or The Sims: Obsessive-Compulsive Exhibitionist.

Yeah, that would be a lot more interseting, although I think being obsessive-compulsive means definitely not being an exhibitionist.
Anyway, that was kind of the feeling I got from the The Sims games even though I hadn't played any of them, so now I know to leave them alone. However, there's a new one, or rather three new ones, the The Sims Stories games, Life, Castaway, and Pet, that offer a mode where your sim at least won't die without intervention from you.

OK, overrated games... I'd say the Metroid games, or at least the original and Super Metroid, the ones I've played, but they might just not be my kind of game. For underrated games without a doubt it's StarTropics and StarTropics II: Zoda's Revenge; there isn't much I can say about them other than that they're awesome and not very many people have played them, except maybe that a lot of people disliked the control scheme of the first one, a lot of the people who did like the control scheme of the first one didn't like the control scheme of the second one, and the second one came out in 1994, so it was one of the last games for the NES, which meant it took full advantage of the hardware, but also was overlooked by most people who weren't in love with the NES. OK, I've brought up these games many times, I'll give it a rest for a while.

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 4 of 7, by v0g0ns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your opinions are overrated. My opinions are underrated. Dont the over and under rated terms derive from the idea that somehow one's opinion is more important or valid than a group of peoples'? Very subjective indeed.

Rise of the Triad forum

Reply 5 of 7, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

<sarcasm>Yeah, but that's the good part! How can you have fun without insulting people?</sarcasm>
Seriously though, however it may seem, it's still pretty popular, especially on the Internet, and when we're completely honest, some people are smarter than others, and some people are more objective than others, and I think, or at least hope, that most people realize that questions like that imply that the real question is what your opinion is.

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 6 of 7, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
v0g0ns wrote:

Your opinions are overrated. My opinions are underrated. Dont the over and under rated terms derive from the idea that somehow one's opinion is more important or valid than a group of peoples'? Very subjective indeed.

Nice one, v0g0ns. I'd give you a rep bonus if I could.. 😀 You really made a very good point here.

Last edited by doomer on 2008-05-07, 12:45. Edited 1 time in total.