Common searches

Reply 21 of 41, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like something got through their thick skulls:

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopi … 29059&forum=125

Q: Did BioWare and EA change their mind on requiring that the game be re-authorized every 10 days?

A: BioWare has always listened very closely to its fans and we made this decision to ensure we are delivering the best possible experience to them. To all the fans including our many friends in the armed services and internationally who expressed concerns that they would not be able re-authenticate as often as required, EA and BioWare want you to know that your feedback is important to us.

I'm still waiting for the crack before buying though.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 22 of 41, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

same sh*t as with bioshock but this time with a developer that cares about the community?
oh man, good old bioware...

they will get my bucks for making such a great game as allways but they will never receive any online activation stuff from me, thats for sure!

sysprofile.png

Reply 23 of 41, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Twenty Sided commentary on it:

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1656

heh

Reply 24 of 41, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Received this email from Bioware today:

BioWare's Official Community Newsletter Special Edition Issue #49, May 2008 […]
Show full quote

BioWare's Official Community Newsletter
Special Edition
Issue #49, May 2008
=====================================================================

Pre-Order Mass Effect PC
Get $10 off!

=====================================================================

Read the web version of this newsletter at:
--> http://go.bioware.com/nsl49/?linkgo=1&linkID=5174

---------------------------------------------------------------------
+ MASS EFFECT PC
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Get $10 off when you pre-order

Hello,

This special announcement is to let you know Mass Effect for PC hits
stores very soon on May 28th. If you pre-order it today, you
can save $10.

View our pre-order info page for a list of
participating retailers:

--> http://go.bioware.com/nsl49/?linkgo=1&linkID=5162

Fans and critics are calling Mass Effect one of the best
games ever.

"RPG of the YEAR with over 80 awards."
"4.5 - 5" (211 customer reviews)
- Amazon.com

"One of the greatest science fiction stories ever told, and a
new benchmark for video game storytelling."
"9.75 out of 10"
- Game Informer Magazine

Dead Space fans rejoice!

Pre-order Mass Effect PC at the EA Store and receive a Dead Space
comic and poster. Head over to the EA Store for more details:

--> http://go.bioware.com/nsl49/?linkgo=1&linkID=5165

For more info on Mass Effect for PC and Xbox 360 visit:

--> http://go.bioware.com/nsl49/?linkgo=1&linkID=5163

Cheers,

The BioWare Team

Looks like they forgot to mention the DRM.

Reply 27 of 41, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PC Gamer interview with BioWare General Manager and EA Vice President Ray Muzyka
http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/f/bioware-fans-h … 032219817514003

PCG: What’s your favorite RPG in the last year or two that BioWare didn’t make?

RM: Well, see, I’ve got this weird definition of RPGs, so to answer it in a kind of weird way, I view a lot of games that people may not classify as pure RPGs as being RPGs. In fact, a lot of the games BioWare is developing could arguably be called that. But I see a game like BioShock that’s as much an action game as it as anything else, but it’s really got the RPG at the center of it, too. Really, what is that? It’s about progression, customization, exploration, story, combat, and a narrative that just immerses you into the world. It’s kind of stretching it a lot, but Call of Duty 4 had a great storyline as well. It had abilities, it had progression, you felt like you were playing the role of these characters when you switched between them - I loved that game, too. I finished both of those over Christmas break and had a great time. And the new GTA, I would argue that’s got a lot of RPG properties, too. You know, what is it? You’re playing a role, there’s a story, there’s characters, there’s progression, there’s customization, there’s conflict, there’s strife. That’s kind of what we build at BioWare, too. I think we’re approaching it from different directions, but I think it’s just an exciting time to be in the industry - everyone’s trying to convey great narrative and emotional depth, and I feel really honored to be part of it all.

Looks like RPG's are dead at Bioware for sure......

Reply 28 of 41, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Frankly this is not what I expected the first time I heard about EA taking over Bioware. I thought Electronic Ass would simply kill Bioware (the way they killed Origin, Bullfrog, etc) in their never-ending quest to eliminate good games from the market so gamers wouldn't have any choice other than playing the 57th sequel of NBA Live or The Sims over and over again.

Turned out that they came out with something probably worse than my initial expectation.

What happens EA goes out of business or decides to shut down the activation servers?

Then we will release an update to remove the activation.

Yeah, right. They will release such update when pigs fly out of my ass.

but Call of Duty 4 had a great storyline as well. It had abilities, it had progression, you felt like you were playing the role of these characters when you switched between them - I loved that game, too. I finished both of those over Christmas break and had a great time.

On the second thought, they're going to kill RPG too. I stand corrected.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 29 of 41, by v0g0ns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, there are popular RPGs around, like bioshock or stalker. Yes, i think those games are rpgs, the fact that they are in 1st person and have guns dont change the fact that they are rpgs, with fps elements on them.

Rise of the Triad forum

Reply 30 of 41, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, they are not RPG's. Look up the definition of RPG's. Look at real RPG's. An FPS that allows you to customize your gun. your characters face/outfit, or allows you to unlock or gain abilities is nowhere near to an RPG.

Reply 31 of 41, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm with Dosfreak on this, when v0g0ns said

i dont really like RPGs anyways, and RPGs with DRM are a POS.

, I was wondering what that had to do with the discussion here 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 32 of 41, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well it looks like the no activation/No SecuRom crack is out (Don't post or ask for links here). Looks like I can buy my copy now. 😀 Yay, my money is helping to support DRM. Sweet.

Reply 33 of 41, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From what I am hearing, there are two cracks out, and both quit working at the galaxy map where you navigate between planets a couple hours into the game. You might want to continue to wait until a real working version is available if you are making your purchase based on being to bypass the authentication.

I was really wanting this game but I have decided against buying it myself. I am voting against their DRM with my wallet. They have also said on their forums that they are not planning on releasing a revocation tool similar to Bioshock so none of the previous installs can be revoked. Obviously since I am on this forum I have an interest in playing games long past their prime, and I refuse to purchase a product where I have to call up and beg to play a game that I have bought and paid for. Bioshock I bought the day of release before knowing their DRM scheme, this time I have been forewarned.

Reply 34 of 41, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I heard about the galaxy map issue last night. 🙁 Guess I'll work on my huge backlog.

Reply 35 of 41, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bioware Forum thread with links to all of the other DRM threads:

DRM with EA Games - Part 18
http://forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.ht … 8&forum=22&sp=0

Reply 36 of 41, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

Bioware Forum thread with links to all of the other DRM threads:

DRM with EA Games - Part 18
http://forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.ht … 8&forum=22&sp=0

I'm playing Mass Effect right now with an no activation crack. So far the game seems alright but it's mostly been me just walking around and clicking on text. I don't really feel like I'm playing an RPG more like navigating through a movie with occasional stops to click on dialogue. heh. Mabye the game will open up more and I won't feel like I'm playing HL2/other generic FPS.

I'm also suprised by how the maps are still so closed in. On the first planet and the station you arrive at I kept on wanting to go to other places but you are stuck on pathways. Sigh......damn consoles.

Reply 37 of 41, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I finished it a week ago but I will not say a thing, because I don't want to spoil the little fun. You are right: fucking consoles are killing PC quality gameplay.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 39 of 41, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like "Bring Down The Sky" includes the 1.01 patch so guess I won't be playing it. Was looking for an excuse not to go back to playing the game anyway.

I beat Mass Effect last week and then found out that I've have to load an earlier saved game if I wanted to go back and do the boring exploring of the planets (There's nothing to explore it's just one big ground texture with 3-4 locations that you visit that always are the same...YAY!) that I missed......then this "Bring Down the Sky" addon comes out and it looks like you'll have to load an earlier save just to play that? WTF? Why not just allow you to still play the game after the game is over? Am I missing something here?

Meh. Sadly I found Assassin's Creed (with all of it's own repetitiveness to deal with) overall a better game than Mass Effect. Now that's just sad. 🙁