VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought Windows 95 and Windows 98 so that I could use them to set up retro gaming PCs.

Is there any reason to get Windows Millennium, or would Win95 & Win98 satisfy all of my Win9x retro gaming requirements?

Thanks, regards, Robert.

Reply 2 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WinME cripples DOS support (well it tries to) and it annoyingly blanks out your autoexec.bat (this was annoying especially for installing Sound Blaster Live!'s DOS sound emulation tsr), oh it also won't let you make bootable disks that aren't a windows startup disk.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 12, by Fender_178

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No its not worth getting Windows ME. Windows ME from what I have heard crashes alot more than windows 98 Se and also its alot stupider with hardware . As someone mentioned it cripples dos support but there is a way to add dos support to winME but its more trouble than its worth.

Reply 6 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's prettier than 98 though!!!! !!!!!!! 😉

Although, you can get the fantabulous Windows 98 SE Unofficial Service Pack and enjoy the win2k theme!
http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

Reply 8 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just go to the MSFN forums. There are tons of addons/updates to 98SE to bring it up to date visually and security wise (although obviously MS doesn't provided patches anymore.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 12, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One reason to consider Win ME, and probably the only reason you ever should, is that it is not limited to 127GB hard disk partition sizes. In theory, it can support the 2TB that FAT32 is capable of. Whether your motherboard can support it (requires ATA-6) is another issue.

Reply 10 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Great Hierophant wrote:

One reason to consider Win ME, and probably the only reason you ever should, is that it is not limited to 127GB hard disk partition sizes. In theory, it can support the 2TB that FAT32 is capable of. Whether your motherboard can support it (requires ATA-6) is another issue.

Even then, it'll still freak out when you write that mysterious byte that suddenly triggers massive data loss on all of your partitions on that big drive. Ditto for Windows 2000.

I learned that the hard way 😒

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 12, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Then perhaps it would be best simply to buy a 48-bit LBA PCI ATA controller or use a motherboard with one built in. The driver and 3rd party tools will take care of the rest.