User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The news.

Bangkok under state of emergency […]
Show full quote

Bangkok under state of emergency

Thailand's Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has declared a state of emergency in the capital Bangkok, after clashes left at least one person dead.

Dozens more were hurt in the fighting early on Tuesday.

The clashes began after supporters of Mr Samak pushed through police lines near Government House, occupied by the People's Alliance for Democracy.

PAD supporters say the government is a front for the exiled former Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra.

The prime minister said that emergency rule would not last long.

"No one has the right to do such a thing as they have done," said Mr Samak, in a televised press conference.

"I had no other choice but to declare a state of emergency in Bangkok in order to solve the problem for once and for all.

On the other hand, my flight to Bangkok has been already scheduled for tomorrow. Whoa. 😳

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

The usual. Corrupt politicians, power-hungry individuals, and stupid citizens that think violence is the answer.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 7, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are still many in rural areas that support Thaksin despite corruption, authoritarianism, demagogy, and press-muffling.

Damn, people are stupid.

On the good side, the meeting I'm supposed to attend in Thailand was just cancelled --and so was my flight. Yay!

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 4 of 7, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was over there last year during some of the unrest and never noticed anything. I wasn't in Bangkok much although I did take the kids to Wat Phra Keo and the Grand Palace. We spent our time in the Northeast with my wife's family in their small rice farming village. You are right that a lot of the rural people still support Thaksin. Thailand seems to have a sharp divide between the city and rural people, more pronounced than many places I have been.

Reply 5 of 7, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Xian97 wrote:

You are right that a lot of the rural people still support Thaksin.

Frankly, it is almost like in Indonesia where some rural people still support Suharto. We have our fair share of stupid people as well.

Xian97 wrote:

Thailand seems to have a sharp divide between the city and rural people, more pronounced than many places I have been.

Why?

Reply 6 of 7, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would say because the middle class is just emerging. When I was working there in the mid 90s there wasn't much of a middle class. It was the haves and the have-nots, the rich and the poor. It had improved some when I was there last year, but still a pretty distinct divide. Most of the more well off live in the cities, the countryside is the sustenance farmers (of which my wife's family can be counted).

Other countries I have lived in such as Costa Rica had their rich and poor, but there was also a blue collar working class more so than Thailand.