VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been looking for a program the whole weekend, but couldn't find anything suitable. I can't believe such a program doesn't exist, but rather think it's hard to find via a Google search string of "windows patch" or something like that (;

I've looked into ports of GNU/Linux utilities like diff, but these either have an incredible complicated command line syntax (diff is _horrible_ in that respect), are for ASCII only, or do not exist as a Windows port. I'd rather not use Cygwin for the kind of patching i want to do.

Here's what i need:
- Command-line driven Win32 app (or GUI + command line), should return proper error levels (success, failure, etc.)
- Create a patch file out of the difference between two binary files, which can be quite large (maybe about max. 1GB)
- Patch the original file to the "target" file by using patch data (i don't need the app to create a new file with the patch included, it should patch the existing file instead)
- CRC/MD5 checks and an option to undo or reverse a patch would be a plus

Can anyone recommend a tool?

Last edited by ADDiCT on 2008-09-08, 16:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

PocketSoft's RTPatch is almost the PC standard for binary file delta (difference) patching; but it's commercial, and not cheap. They've been around since the early 90's.

Blink Inc's Delta Patch is another commercial one I've heard of, but not used, and I'm not familiar with its pricing.

Don't know of any free ones... 😒

Reply 3 of 6, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, Qbix.

I would also appreciate any suggestions. I had the same experience as Addict when I put together the Descent V. 1.5 sound fix and the MS SideWinder 3D Pro drivers for Win9x available elsewhere on this board. My patch program requirements were virtually identical to Addict's, but in both cases I ended up using Open Watcom to write custom C programs to do my patching.

I think part of the reason that not too many patch tools exist is because there is likely to be a knee-jerk reaction on the part of many commercial software developers that anyone wanting to make such a patch is necessarily doing something morally wrong, violating a EULA, etc. I would not be surprised if some of the more draconian software publishers/developers went out of their way to stamp out widely available free patch tools if they can.

Reply 5 of 6, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks everyone! I was beginnig to think i'm too stoopid to find anything with Google (; . I've stumbled across RTPatch, too, but it's not a feasible option, because it's incredible expensive. There's another program, Visual Patch from Indigo Rose, maybe i'll check that one out (even though it's quite expensive, too).

I've also found xdelta, but after fiddling around with it for a bit i'm still not sure it does what i need. I'll look into it some more. xdelta has a strange command line syntax, too - i've read the docs and help file several times, and still didn't understand how to simply create a delta file. I'm quite familiar with command line utils in Windows and Linux, and i hope i'm not a complete idiot when it comes to the command line, so i think it's a bad sign when i can't figure out how to use a tools most basic functions. In the end, it was a user comment on xdelta's website that showed me how to create a delta file.

kippesoep's tools looks very promising, i'll have a closer look at it, too. Could use a small readme, though - but it seems to be quite straightforward in terms of usage.

If anyone has additional info, keep it coming!

Reply 6 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The one that I used to make my KQ7 updater was RLN PatchMaker at http://www.act-consult.com/PatchMaker/

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers