VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a topic that can go in a variety of places, so moderators, be kind. 😀

Does anyone have even a partial list of games that support specifically the more advanced Roland GS standard and not simply GM? Or are there any?

ie If one were to use the Roland SCD-10 (SC-7) daughterboard over the SCD-15 (SC-55), what games would *not* sound correct because they used capabilities above the GM standard?

I suppose the same question can be asked of Yamaha's XG standard (DB50XG, SW60XG).

I am not referring to older games based on the MT-32. Thanks.

Reply 1 of 6, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also would like to know an answer for this question. And are there games that use the extended set present in the SC-55 mkII?

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 3 of 6, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Apparently games that support Sound Canvas are not as many as those that support General MIDI.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 6, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mobygames goes by game options for the most part, so a game with a "Sound Canvas" option might use GS, but not necessarily. I haven't run across a listing of games that specifically use GS.

Reply 5 of 6, by 2Mourty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Final Fantsy VII PC uses the Yamaha XG features, sounds pretty good to my ear. The only let down is that during the final battle you can't hear the choir say Sephiroth.

Reply 6 of 6, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dune II is the only game I remember getting it right, belatedly with a patch/update, where they allowed configuring music, fx, and digital, allowing midi for music, fm for fx, and dac playback vs choosing between midi or fm+dac.