VOGONS

Common searches

''' sıɥʇ ǝʞıן ǝdʎʇ oʇ ʍoɥ uɹɐǝן oʇ ʇuɐʍ noʎ ɟı

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 22 of 35, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
doomer wrote:

But.. it takes triple resources.. maybe no crashes... 😖

Wrong, but thanks for playing!

DosFreak wrote:

KernelEX enables FireFox 3 to work in 98SE. As well as OpenOffice 3. 😀

Neat tip! But it would be better if people would just stop using Windows 9x if they're connected to the Internet...

Last edited by Snover on 2008-10-24, 22:17. Edited 2 times in total.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 23 of 35, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

heh... seems like I accidentally startet a browser as well as win98 debate... 😎

Profoundly sorry for that, though some useful tips are always welcome (with no irony intended).
Now, if someone could point me in the right direction of that 'KernelEx' thingie ? Sounds like a useful tool, whatever it might turn out to be.

As for why I get the crashing(well, actually it must be looping/100%CPU, and I have to end the explorer.exe to get back to normal) , I can only assume I'm missing some vital font sets or whatever. Not that many programs installed, MS Word/Office 97 springs to mind as the only candidate containing some xtra fonts.

And when using Firefox 2.16, I only get to see the gibberish quoted earlier.
(hence not sure if Firefox 3 would help there)
But at least it's able to handle the situation without looping or whatever.

PS: win98FE means First Edition (not upgraded!).... must the flames lick my stoneaged butt...

PPS: some other people still using win98:
http://www.msfn.org/board/Windows-95-98-98SE- … a97ed72145c8cf7

@Snover: ok then, I guess I'll have to limit myself to just using Arachne instead ? Better ? 😜

Reply 25 of 35, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:
doomer wrote:

But.. it takes triple resources.. maybe no crashes... 😖

Wrong, but thanks for playing!

Tested on Pentium 200 MMX 32 Mb Ram.

Firefox loaded for 3 minutes.
Internet Explorer 6 for 30 seconds.

Thanks for playing. Better luck next time.

Reply 26 of 35, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gosh, you mean that the browser that gets preloaded into memory by the OS during startup takes less time to load than the one that's completely stand-alone? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

More pertinently, startup time is not a factor in the amount of system resources a browser uses, which is what you mentioned originally. If you want to talk about application performance, then I'll concede that IE is... oh wait, its scripting engine is actually 4.5 times slower than Firefox.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 28 of 35, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:

Gosh, you mean that the browser that gets preloaded into memory by the OS during startup takes less time to load than the one that's completely stand-alone? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

More pertinently, startup time is not a factor in the amount of system resources a browser uses, which is what you mentioned originally. If you want to talk about application performance, then I'll concede that IE is... oh wait, its scripting engine is actually 4.5 times slower than Firefox.

Okay, argument is over for me. I just tried to make a point. I am getting a bit tired of people saying Firefox is better when currently Internet Explorer 7 is in the lead in terms of stability, security, perfomance and overall feature list. And I don't even want to start on web page rendering quality, or browser preference for that matter.

But one has to test it for themselves (Both IE and Firefox browsers) in a highly stringent and observant manner for a longer period of time, instead of reading MS haters' comments on blogs and buying urban legends for years on end.

One last funny thing. Some time ago, IE8 was announced for release in the near future, most likely by the end of year 2008. Obviously, it will introduce some quite innovative and nifty features. For your information, one of the most interesting of those was blatantly announced for introduction in the next (future) release of Firefox three days after the announcement of IE8 and its (IE8) new feature preview, naturally. I guess, I do not need to know more about who copies who first.

Reply 30 of 35, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
doomer wrote:

Okay, argument is over for me. I just tried to make a point. I am getting a bit tired of people saying Firefox is better when currently Internet Explorer 7 is in the lead in terms of stability, security, perfomance and overall feature list. And I don't even want to start on web page rendering quality, or browser preference for that matter.

I was a full-time computer repair technician for 3 years, and I got to see all the damage that IE wreaked on normal people's computers on a daily basis from its innumerable security problems. Now, I am a full time Web developer with experience dating back to Internet Explorer 5.5, and I get to see all the damage that IE wreaks on the stability, rendering, and performance of well-constructed, standards-compliant Web sites.

I have more experience than you in these matters (I checked that), and you are wrong. I am not an MS hater and I am not a Firefox fanboi. Microsoft does some things well, especially their enterprise management stuff (Active Directory, WSUS, etc.), but writing and maintaining a good Web browser is not part of their list of accomplishments. I have spent the last 6 years of my life dealing with the innards of Web browsers all day, every day, and consider myself a pretty damn good authority as a result.

IE is not stable (No, IE7 isn't better, just different), it is not secure, it is not fast, and it does not have more features than other browsers (no, not as many built-in features, either).

doomer wrote:

But one has to test it for themselves (Both IE and Firefox browsers) in a highly stringent and observant manner for a longer period of time, instead of reading MS haters' comments on blogs and buying urban legends for years on end.

You're right, pesky things like "scientifically repeatable and verifiable tests" are so much less helpful than "stringent and observant use" by fallible, opinionated humans. Silly me.

doomer wrote:

One last funny thing. Some time ago, IE8 was announced for release in the near future, most likely by the end of year 2008. Obviously, it will introduce some quite innovative and nifty features. For your information, one of the most interesting of those was blatantly announced for introduction in the next (future) release of Firefox three days after the announcement of IE8 and its (IE8) new feature preview, naturally. I guess, I do not need to know more about who copies who first.

Which feature was that? As long as we're talking about "innovative and nifty features", remind me which browsers had tabbed browsing first? An RSS feed reader? A quick search bar? Incremental search? A "secure browsing" feature? Phishing protection? Isolated tab processes? Resumable download manager? Smart location bar? Tagging for bookmarks? The answer is: not IE! All of those features showed up first in other browsers, whether it was Firefox, Opera, Safari, or Chrome.

Let's face facts here. The only thing Microsoft has innovated in the browser market in the last 10 years is total contempt for their product by most of the Web development community. And this shouldn't come as a shock — for 5 years they sat on their arses doing nothing after IE6 rose to dominance, and are having to scramble to catch up on 5 years of everyone else's progress. They're doing a pretty good job of it, considering the mess they had to deal with, but they are still not doing as much as they could or should. I'm all for Microsoft creating a good browser — it means fewer nights wishing I was dead instead of having to hack around yet another IE bug.

(P.S. @ripsaw8080: It's Milliways, I'll do what I want, lalalalalalala 😉)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 31 of 35, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:
I was a full-time computer repair technician for 3 years, and I got to see all the damage that IE wreaked on normal people's com […]
Show full quote
doomer wrote:

I was a full-time computer repair technician for 3 years, and I got to see all the damage that IE wreaked on normal people's computers on a daily basis from its innumerable security problems. Now, I am a full time Web developer with experience dating back to Internet Explorer 5.5, and I get to see all the damage that IE wreaks on the stability, rendering, and performance of well-constructed, standards-compliant Web sites.

I have more experience than you in these matters (I checked that), and you are wrong. I am not an MS hater and I am not a Firefox fanboi. Microsoft does some things well, especially their enterprise management stuff (Active Directory, WSUS, etc.), but writing and maintaining a good Web browser is not part of their list of accomplishments. I have spent the last 6 years of my life dealing with the innards of Web browsers all day, every day, and consider myself a pretty damn good authority as a result.

(P.S. @ripsaw8080: It's Milliways, I'll do what I want, lalalalalalala 😉)

Oh my God. Three years? Am scared? And you got more experience...
Sorry to spoil your ideas... but I've been working with computers for nineteen years now... and fixing them.. more than just a technician... for fifteen years now... Hehe... you checked? Oh my God... those were some tough words? Did you come here... and talk personally.. or you just asked my friends or my colleagues..?

Haha, but you are final.. Three years... "I got more experience... I checked on you?"

How.. am too curious?

(For your information.. For about fifteen years now I have been working and studying, repairing, assembling, even some programming ...including a lot more additional work that I can safely say now you have never done on computers after reading your reply) And I have been using computers for 19 years now....

/* Program: No more checks...*/

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main()
{
printf ("Please don't check any more on me, or I get....\7");
return;
}

/*
end of
program */

(Post Scriptum: in Unix it's considered a wise choice to end a source file with a new line => don't forget to have a newline at the end of file if you compile it with mingw.... or gcc 😉)

I just wrote that... for fun.. I couldn't help it...tested.. compiled with Mingw 3.45 + Vista hotfixes... Works fine too.. Would you believe that? ...

But I can't argue against your powerful proof.......... You checked...... You are more experienced.....

Ahh.... But I know what you have checked.........

The imba post count......

Of course.. you are more experienced on post count... Sadly, nowadays most people think.. their post count equals experience and expertise...

Unfortunately, let me enlighten you... You are not your post count or your forum signature..

Ahh.. thank you for making me laugh at 6am in the morning. I knew I had to come back here to check that post before I continue my day.

Reply 32 of 35, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you for that ad hominem. It was very productive.

Also, for the record, I was speaking about professional experience; what with your being 24 years old and all, it would be rather impossible for you to have 15 years of professional experience doing anything.

Last edited by Snover on 2008-10-26, 04:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 33 of 35, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You are welcome.

Ab actu ad posse valet illatio.

(No comment on re-editing past posts).. (I guess I'll re-edit my past post for fun too) (Indeed... your actions display an incredible amount of professional attitude)

Snover wrote:

Now, I am a full time Web developer with experience dating back to Internet Explorer 5.5, and I get to see all the damage that IE wreaks on the stability, rendering, and performance of well-constructed, standards-compliant Web sites.

Oh... you mean to say your first professional browser experience is Ie 5.5...... Ah.. indeed I skipped that one (tough luck for you on choosing that version.. but I understand you had no choice)... I used previous IEs... and some Navigators.. golden.. platinum.. all kinds.. if you have ever heard of those... and some other browsers too.. even earlier than the above mentioned....funny thing.. can you imagine... we were discussing IE7... and IE8..

But congratulations on your first professional web-browser experience on the Internet with Internet Explorer 5.5 .. you have begun your journey... Still much left to reach the "professional" status that you strive for so relentlessly.

Snover wrote:

Also, for the record, I was speaking about professional experience; what with your being 24 years old and all, it would be rather impossible for you to have 15 years of professional experience doing anything.

Ahhh.. hehe I checked on you as well.. Hmm 22 years old... hmmm older than me......... not....

Well if that is not funny, I do not know what is... Impossible for me to have professional experience on 'anything' at 24 years.... but you are a true professional at the age of 22...... Oh.. wow..
Talk about making sense.. and using scientific verification methods for ascertaining truth values..

Ah.. ... nooo.. I can't help it... The laugh inside me...

I guess, I am gonna laugh the whole day now. 😉

Reply 34 of 35, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
doomer wrote:
[…]
Show full quote

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main()
{
printf ("Please don't check any more on me, or I get....\7");
return;
}

quod emendandum est ut

return 0;                    //   :p  smile, you're on Milliways

Reply 35 of 35, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

As the original poster of this thread, I declare it closed.

Attachments

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions