Common searches

Falltout 3 thoughts & impressions

Topic actions

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Picked up my copy today at Best Buy for $49.99.....counting the minutes until work is over.

Heard the game comes with SECUROM which does a CD check.

Already got the NOCD though so I should be good.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 26, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I preordered mine through Amazon UK. Although I live in Spain (and I am spaniard), I prefer to play the original version. Translations suck big time nowadays and having the original version is easier for patching, for instance.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got the game home. Popped it in. Installed it.

Decided to risk it and see what the copy protection had to say.....

"Conflict with Emulation Software Detected".

Closed Daemon Tools tried again....

Use NOCD crack. (Which gives me a russian Fallout 3 launcher.....) and game works fine.

Thanks for ruining the very beginning of the game Bethesda. Now to see what else they've screwed up.

Reply 4 of 26, by olemogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
Got the game home. Popped it in. Installed it. […]
Show full quote

Got the game home. Popped it in. Installed it.

Decided to risk it and see what the copy protection had to say.....

Closed Daemon Tools tried again....

Use NOCD crack. (Which gives me a russian Fallout 3 launcher.....) and game works fine.

Thanks for ruining the very beginning of the game Bethesda. Now to see what else they've screwed up.

You said the beginning of the game was ruined? Did the Russian installer start the game in Russian? Is the game still using English?

I'm interested in this game because my son wants the PC version and not the Xbox 360 version. But if there is too much BS involved with this game, then I'll get him (and me too!) the Xbox 360 version.

Reply 5 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah, just the usual SECUROM issues. The NOCD comes with a Fallout 3 launcher executable that is in russian.

It may be possible to just use the cracked Fallout3.exe and not the launcher. Will play around tonight and see.

I count installation/SECUROM issues as part of the game so therefore the "Beginning of the game" was ruined. 😀

Last edited by DosFreak on 2008-10-29, 17:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 26, by olemogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like the PC version will be fine then.

Jeez, between my two teenage sons and I, we'll need to pick up another high end gaming pc. The Xbox 360 has been getting lonely lately. Oh well, there's GOW2 and RE5 coming up though.

Reply 8 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want the SECUROM malware on your system there's supposedly a "fix" from SECUROM here:
http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=emu&c=2500

SecuROM™ has determined that emulation tools like 'Alcohol 120%' or 'Daemon Tools' are running. Please be informed that SecuROM™ protected applications will not work with such tools.

Why are these assholes still in business?

Reply 9 of 26, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Because you are supporting them by buying games "protected" by their product.

But how is the game actually? Some reviews i've read sounded quite promising.

Reply 10 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The biggest gripe I have with it is the graphics. They don't really matter when the game is 2D but seeing them in 3D it just looks bad. I don't know if it's just me or what but they look horrible.

It's an open world just like Oblivion.
I've seen some buildings "pop" into existence which is annoying. (Should be able to be tweaked in the .ini)
I haven't noticed any weather effects. Just day/night cycle and dust/fog.
Same Physics system as Oblivion (Unrealistic weight to objects).
Still has loading screens on entering buildings or seperate levels in the same building.
I don't seem to be able to mark the map for multiple locations to go back to later. (only seem to be able to mark a waypoint?)
I find VATS annoying. (I love TB combat in Fallout 1/2 or real FPS not this semi TB/FPS BS).
Plenty of quests and they seem decent enough. (Only been playing for 3hrs).

No vehicles. Walking is slooooowww. I guess they want you to use Fast Travel....but I don't want to use Fast Travel. Hopefully a super speed mod or ideally a car mod (like in Fallout 1) will be released for the game in 2+ yrs time when Bethesda releases the tools. Scratch that a motorcycle/hover mod would be more appropriate.

Super Mutants are tough.....but not as tough as they should be.....

Radiation was hyped in the reviews but I'm not really seeing it. Yes drinking eating contaimined items in the world does give you radiation but not enough to worry about. Of course after 200yrs dangerous radiation would have deterioated but all of the previews/reviews hyped it like it was the freakin' Glow or something.

I wish I could lean when shooting....
I'm not "feeling" the weapons....they look and handle like a joke.

It's very easy to get into a tough situation. I was in one building with multiple floors. The lower levels were full of tougher super mutants but I didn't have enough ammo or weapons skills or stimpaks (yeah stimpaks heal even major wounds) and I couldn't escape so I had to load an earlier save. Sweeeet.

PIPBoy interface is too small.

Just as feared the world is cluttered. (Griped about this when Oblivion came out when the ruins were too close to each other and towns).

Waaaaaayy too much ammo/stimpaks in the game world. You'll go into a building and there's ammo and stimpaks up the wazoo. You don't even need to worry about stocking up back at town.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2008-11-05, 01:21. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 11 of 26, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, that doesn't sound too good... Though you seem to be a bit harsh on the game. It seems some people thought this would be the holy grail of computer games, but i believe the problem is that the "good old times" won't ever come back once we're getting older. It's like comparing having sex or smoking a reefer with the first time you did it - it's still nice and interesting, but it won't ever be like the first time (or first few times).

I have to admit i've never played the original games, but they are high on my "Have to Check Out"-list. But these damn RPG's are sooo time consuming... I think i'll just play the original games first, and then have a look at this puppy (probably on the 360, as my PC is not too fast and i'm out of budget).

A Bit OT, but anyway: next game on my personal "Can't wait till it comes out"-list is Red Alert 3. Been recently playing though Tiberium Wars again, and found it strangely addictive (though quite buggy, even with the latest patch).

Btw, DosFreak, have you played S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? i know it doesn't compare to the Fallout-Universe, but it's a bit similar in setting, and one of the most impressive games i've played on the PC. Has its share of problems, but still a gem in my opinion.

Reply 12 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fallout 1 & 2 really aren't that long. Can't tell you how many hours (alot of course) but if you do everything (not counting the mods that have come out) mabye 20hrs? tops for both games together.

I played Fallout 2 when it first came out and then 1 & 2 about a year and a half ago and the time just flew by playing the games.

It doesn't appear that you need to have played the first 2 to enjoy the third. I dare say if you do play the first two (especially now) then when you go to play F3 you'll just be comparing F3 to the first two which would be bad.

Most of my gripes with the game are just usual gripes I have with previous games by Bethesda and comparing the game to other games out there. Comparing Fallout 3 to Fallout 1 is pretty far down the list so nostalgia doesn't really play a factor in my consideration.

So far it's worth buying but like Oblivion mods are really going to make this game shine. I'm not going to say the game is as messed up as Oblivion on release (it's not) but if you played Oblivion when it came out and then played it again years later with the mods and saw a substantial difference and think you should wait then you probably should. (Assuming Bethesda releases the tools to do so of course).

I've played STALKER (Have CS bought haven't gotten around to playing it). I liked STALKER (except for the huge amound of bugs.....and the crappy endings.....and the walking and....) I can say that I definetly prefer the combat in STALKER than the combat in Fallout 3. Weapons and AI in STALKER IIRC are alot better.

People are excusing the crappy combat in Fallout 3 because F3 is supposed to be an RPG. Just because it's an RPG doesn't mean it should have crappy combat. Combat is part of an RPG just as important as the "other stuff". It's not something that should be given short thrift.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2008-11-03, 20:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 26, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ADDiCT, I like DosFreak´s kind of "reviews". Since I feel that his opinion is brutally honest, and he says what he feels, and feels what he says about the game(s). And if he feel the game or games are shite, then he doesn´t call it pooh, and he calls it Shit for what it is worth, in sometimes more ways than one.

Reply 14 of 26, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I second that. You cannot judge F3 from a nostalgic point of view. I am pretty sure F3 is different but that doesn't mean it has to be bad.

I hope my copy will arrive here in 1 or 2 days.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 16 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Decided to see if I could rip the songs out of the game and it was pretty easy. Had to make one change with a hex editor to the .bsa file and then open it up with BSA Commander.

Looks there are only 20 songs in the game (all in a licensed folder).

Just found this:
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?s … howtopic=898305

Reply 17 of 26, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's fun to play, if you enjoyed Oblivion and preferred being a bad dude - to all intents and purposes it's Oblivion with a lick of paint. The only major addition is the use of the VATS pseudo-turn based combat, which adds a slightly more strategic element to the proceedings. Sadly, the AI is really poor and the weapons age extremely quickly (both in terms of wear/tear and enjoyment). Also, it's pretty buggy and the design seems pretty bland overall. Gamebryo is really beginning to show its age with Fallout 3.

All of that said, I do like it a lot and find its quirkiness to be appealling. The Radio feature is one such example.

Reply 18 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can sum combat in F3 thusly: HEADSHOT!

heh. That's pretty much all you've got to do. Wait around a corner/debris/column to obstruct view, when they run up close, HEADSHOT!

or plant mines in their way if you've got the time and you want to bother. I've only done this a couple of times since the 1st strategy works fine as long as you have plenty of ammo.

Reply 19 of 26, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My copy arrived today. So far, I am enjoying it. No surprise, because I also enjoyed Oblivion.

I agree with DOSFreak about the headshots. They are BRUTAL.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)